Author Topic: '69 GT500 Gas Tank Vent Tube (recall) Installation ... pics ??  (Read 5522 times)

Offline stangs-R-me

'69 GT500 Gas Tank Vent Tube (recall) Installation ... pics ??
« on: February 03, 2018, 05:03:00 PM »
I don't have a Shelby ... just a lowly 351W '69 GT Mustang, but would like to adapt this gas tank vent style to it.   My '67 Fairlane Hardtop was vented this way and it is just a much better way to vent a Mustang or Shelby tank since the gas cap is located above painted body surfaces.   

And until I saw the repro GT500 vent tube assy. on CJP this past week, I had no idea it ever existed.   Yes a Band-Aid fix recall, but something engineered by Ford to fit a classic Shelby that could be adapted to fit ANY '65-70 Mustang.

Anyway ... just looking for PICTURES of how the tube routed, where and how the filler neck was modified, and where the hole in the trunk drop-off was drilled so the hose could stick out of it.

If a copy of the RECALL itself exists and/or instructions of how it got installed that would be VALUABLE info as well.

Thanks,

Doug     

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: '69 GT500 Gas Tank Vent Tube (recall) Installation ... pics ??
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 05:35:38 PM »
Think you will find the risk of damaging your paint on a Mustang is much more from filling the car with fuel than by the fumes that come out of that very small vent hole. In any case I thought this had been posted in another thread already. Will look or post some pictures to help others that have the system and others
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 06:22:41 PM »
Here you go

Jeff Speegle

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 06:26:10 PM »
Do you have a link to the reproduction?  I looked on CJPP but couldn't find it.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline stangs-R-me

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 06:36:45 PM »
I did search this forum and found a couple of threads on the subject, but could find no pictures.

As far as gas spilling during a fill up, I've just been real careful.    Ever since the pump nozzles changed where they no longer like to shut-off on old cars with wide open fill necks, I've learned to squat down and listen for the sound to change as the tank gets close to full.   Thankfully I've not driven this car more than 500 miles a year for the past 30 years, so I've only dealt with it 2 or 3 times a Summer.   Filling a car with gas this way is certainly not enjoyable, so I just recently added a unleaded filler neck insert in a repro filler neck ... a mod that other Mustang owners have been doing and claim they can now trust the pumps to shut off with no spillage ... and it turned out real nice.   So I'm hoping I've eliminated that problem too.

Thanks for posting the pics AND the install instructions !!

Doug

Offline stangs-R-me

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 06:38:19 PM »
Do you have a link to the reproduction?  I looked on CJPP but couldn't find it.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/69-70-shelby-gt500-om-fuel-vapor-line-1969-1970/p/MUV1011O/

There is also a SS version.

Doug

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 07:08:50 PM »
I did search this forum and found a couple of threads on the subject, but could find no pictures.

Were there dead links in those threads? If so I will need to rebuild those. As for the other details you provided those are modifications so they don't real fit the scope and coverage of this site so won't comment  ;) 

Be careful about bending down and listen too closely. You can still inhale the fumes and there is always the possibility of a splash. Treated a number of those over the years
Jeff Speegle

Offline stangs-R-me

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 07:52:46 PM »
Were there dead links in those threads? If so I will need to rebuild those. As for the other details you provided those are modifications so they don't real fit the scope and coverage of this site so won't comment  ;) 

Be careful about bending down and listen too closely. You can still inhale the fumes and there is always the possibility of a splash. Treated a number of those over the years

Figuring I'd go back and check for dead links, I just went through all 9 pages of this section and could not find any of the threads (think there were 2) I looked at earlier this week.   I was hesitant to discuss or post pics of the filler neck mod as I know that is not what this site is about.   Was also hesitant to even start the thread, but then thought if you replied with info like you did it would be beneficial to this site.

Thanks so much,

Doug 

Offline stangs-R-me

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 05:23:40 PM »
Hey JEFF ... is the copy of the recall instructions you have readable ??   

All the dimensions of where to drill the holes in the drop off and frame rail are really hard to read.   If these dimensions are in fact readable, can you post a BLOWN UP picture of the lower right hand corner of this drawing so I can read the dimensions ??

Thanks again,
Doug   

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 05:51:46 PM »
Hey JEFF ... is the copy of the recall instructions you have readable ??   

No it was a poor scan I got or found somewhere.

Might be one in the SAAC registry that covers the 69's

Pretty sure that the measurements were a guide and possibly not followed exactly in every case. But a great place to start
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 08:24:50 PM »

Pretty sure that the measurements were a guide and possibly not followed exactly in every case. But a great place to start
+1.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline stangs-R-me

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 12:53:50 PM »

Finally got a chance to check out the SAAC web site.   Never been there before, but I'm not a Shelby owner either.   Sounds like the forum was wiped out and they just started putting it back together January of this year, so lots of lost data.   There was already quite a bit of interesting info back up on the site, but nothing about this recall.

I finally got the vent tube from CJP last week and have it mocked up in my trunk.   They thankfully shipped it in this huge 12x16x37" box filled with air pillows so they did not tweak the tube to get it to fit in the box like they typically do for tubing.   Tube actually makes a bend towards the drop off (vs. pointing straight down as shown in the recall diagram), so I will just put the hole where the tube is pointing at.   

Dimensions on the blurry drawing appear to be 4" from B-U lamp hole and 4" down from the drop off which closely matches where the tube is pointing to.   If these two dimensions really are 4 & 4", the drawing is definitely NOT drawn to any scale as the horizontal 4" is 2.5 times longer than the vertical 4".   Then the frame rail dimension appears to be 6" back and 1" up which would not line up with the other hole like the drawing shows.

Since my application is not a "concours" restoration to an actual 69-70 GT500, I'm not too concerned with my installation being 100% accurate.   The end result on my GT Hardtop will look stock / like something Ford could have done.   If anyone is interested in following this project, I've got a thread here:
  http://1969stang.com/forum/index.php?/topic/57272-1969-gt500-gas-tank-vent-tube-fuel-vapor-line/     

Thanks so much for all your help.

Doug   

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2018, 01:33:05 PM »
Finally got a chance to check out the SAAC web site.   Never been there before, but I'm not a Shelby owner either.   Sounds like the forum was wiped out and they just started putting it back together January of this year, so lots of lost data.   There was already quite a bit of interesting info back up on the site, but nothing about this recall.

Was referring to the Registry  - the printed book that SAAC published that covers all the cars individually  and has tons of information about the particular years.  You can purchase it through the SAAC directly or a couple of other outlets. The last publications are broken down by non-Mustang Shelby's, 65-67 Shelby's and 68-70 Shelby's

Plug and link for the registry

https://saacstuff.com/

Web site is not very useful at the moment (as far as looking back or doing searches) considering the complete crash of the site.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 06:52:47 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline stangs-R-me

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2018, 02:44:07 PM »
Ahh ... a Registry BOOK.   Found them on their site and there are three different volumes ... the 68-70 Shelby Mustang one printed in 2014 is $205.00 and would be a must have for a Shelby owner.   As a '69-70 Mustang fanatic I'd certainly like to have a copy, but it's not a must have just another addition to a long wish list.

Thanks,

Doug

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2018, 03:27:07 PM »
There is a reason for the recall on a Shelby given the center exhaust port was directly under the gas fill neck. Not any significant reason on a regular Mustang. If you want to do it that is up to you .  I don't think it will make a bit of difference on a regular Mustang as far as paint (what I got from previous explanation).  Keep in mind that you have to replace the stock vented cap with a non vented cap for the system to function as engineered. That means changing twist on caps with a Shelby (behind fold down license plate bracket) . Not as easy on a regular Mustang. I suppose on a regular Mustang you will have to modify the factory vented cap in some way so that it doesn't vent fumes. Just my observations for the discussion.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby