Author Topic: Documenting concours paint process from bare metal to finished product?  (Read 1554 times)

Offline ramblewood390GT

I'm very interested in the paint process, so I read through some of the articles and did some searching on the forum. Lots of great info. Maybe I just haven't found it yet, but I would love to read through an illustrated approach to a full concours paint job, starting with stripping the car. Has anyone documented the way they approached the entire job? The sequence of work, the masking process, primer and paint choices, there are so many variables. To see how an expert would approach it would really answer a lot of questions.

On the practical side of things, it seems like a stretch to ask any conventional paint shop to go to the lengths of a concours job, or to hang out there and try to guide the process. The only way I can see getting things "right" is to do most of the work yourself, at least the preliminary stages up to the spraying of body color. I'm curious how people have approached these issues to get good results.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Documenting concours paint process from bare metal to finished product?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 11:20:15 PM »
I'm very interested in the paint process, so I read through some of the articles and did some searching on the forum. Lots of great info. Maybe I just haven't found it yet, but I would love to read through an illustrated approach to a full concours paint job, starting with stripping the car. Has anyone documented the way they approached the entire job? The sequence of work, the masking process, primer and paint choices, there are so many variables. To see how an expert would approach it would really answer a lot of questions.

On the practical side of things, it seems like a stretch to ask any conventional paint shop to go to the lengths of a concours job, or to hang out there and try to guide the process. The only way I can see getting things "right" is to do most of the work yourself, at least the preliminary stages up to the spraying of body color. I'm curious how people have approached these issues to get good results.
Keep in mind most shops will not guarantee a paint job that they have not prepared from bare metal up.  The top coat of paint is only as good as the underlying foundation it is  sprayed over. Actually a shop following the mfg paint prep protocol will be fine IMO. It is from that point forward that makes a difference in duplicating a concours paint job .  The outside appearance of sound deadener ,underside paint , spray paint patterns and spray paint finish are the deciding factors in my book. From that point forward (preliminary stages up to the spraying of body color) is a good place to give direction on how you want it done . Ether area is complicated but the first portion of work will be covered up afterwards and so how it is done as it compares to Ford assemblyline  is not as important as that it gets done to good workmanship body work standards that follow the paint mfg guidelines for all compatible products used that will insure a successful paint job and assures warranty protection by the paint MFG. At least IMO. Others my have a different idea.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 01:48:08 AM »
Not aware of any document that has been assembled for the whole process from start to finish.  Guess I'm doing it section by section and of course you would have a fair number of versions to reflect the different practices between years and assembly plants. Same reason we've always turned down the opportunity to write one of those "How to Restore" books.  Allot of the information is here its just not complied, organized and assembled in a neat package. Remember its not just paint there are allot of other details, steps, products and processes that go hand in hand with this major step

Yes it is allot to ask of a conventional body/paint shop and from my experience there is about an 80% rate of refusal from those places once its explained what is needed, the steps and the lengths required.  Most want to be a big name restoration shop but rely on insurance work and their checks to keep the doors open and keeping the workers paid.  Even if you do allot of the work you will still be tying up shop space and aren't likely going to be happy climbing under the body to paint. 

At the same time some have been successful but its going to take allot of patience and time.

Sure we will get some others to share their experiences, their challenges and what they learned from the process. This is going to likely be your largest expense related to this project but a restoration is only going to be as good as its foundation and your likely not going back to correct mistakes. 
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 03:31:10 PM »
When I was restoring my SCJ - my "new painter"  (now a ten year friend that has painted 6 cars for me) THOUGHT I WAS CRAZY .......for asking for things like overspray under end caps, paint on certain screw heads (rear valance) and duplicating San Jose painting practices!  (Door window stop)

The RIGHT PERSON is the key IMO.   I doubt I could find another like Tim, as I have now ruined him.   He paints Ford GT's daily but respects restoration details.   

Mark
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline ramblewood390GT

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 09:06:57 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I completely understand that there are many ways to reach the goal, and the process would vary depending on the year and build location. I'm also very grateful for the work involved in the research, documentation, and sharing.

I'll keep my eyes open for builds that show the paint process in detail, and hopefully we'll hear from some folks who overcame the challenges involved in the paint process, either with outside help or DIY.