Author Topic: Are these original K/H rotors  (Read 3304 times)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
Are these original K/H rotors
« on: February 08, 2018, 09:14:27 PM »
There is an identical version or this query, but for 1964 1/2 - 1966.
I thought it would be a good question for 1967, so it goes in this set of years folder.

Is there an easy external way to note if my rotors are original assembly line or not? I noticed in the other thread it seemed easy for others to say "not assembly", but I don't know their criteria is. Is it an easy observation?

I noticed that my rotor has a lot of extra casting flash within the rotor window.
This means what?

Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Are these original K/H rotors
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 09:18:03 PM »
One of the main indicators to determine a assemblyline 2 piece rotor are the cooling vanes seen from the backside are different alternating lengths. There are many other nuance details that are different but the vanes stands out to me.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Morsel

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 09:19:15 PM »
Those look original to me, notice who the vertical wall where the cap the grease cap is isn't straight on the hub (service replacements we all a clean line)  and also on the back side of the picture you can see the notch cut out of the hub, this look like original Kelsey Hayes to me... at least the hubs do...

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 09:45:32 PM »
Those look original to me, notice who the vertical wall where the cap the grease cap is isn't straight on the hub (service replacements we all a clean line)  and also on the back side of the picture you can see the notch cut out of the hub, this look like original Kelsey Hayes to me... at least the hubs do...

Jason

Agree, Hub has different design what fits through the hole in the wheel, also, the KH hubs have that notch and a hole that the Century or Ford service replacements do not. Also typical, the letters K/H on the back sides of the studs.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 09:56:17 PM »
Sorry for the lousy pic. I was drilling in on the window and the cast flash in there, but you guys are mentioning other things! Plus the thing is heavy and on an upper shelf,

Here is a top view of the hub.
And another of how the rotor was balanced by welding a u-shaped piece of steel into the vanes.

I thought of Centric (brakes) when I saw Century in the other thread.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 09:59:20 PM by Bossbill »
Bill

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 09:09:41 AM »
Bill, yes, your hubs have the characteristics I have seen on the assmblyline Kelsey Hayes rotors. Two items NOT confirmed yet is the view from inside (spindle side) of vanes looking outward. You should have the staggered vanes if original. That and the K/H wheel studs ;)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline rocnhrse

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 10:41:40 PM »
67 S  code  GTA San Jose built April 67 these rotors  were on my car  shows the K/H studs
67 mustang  GTA  S code fastback  San Jose  April 67

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 11:48:11 PM »
I just found another set of assembly line two part rotors, but the rotors need replacing.

I've heard of Century brand replacements for just the rotor (not the hub) but couldn't find another source for this now obsolete rotor.

On a lark I visited Rock Auto and found that Centric now sells just the rotor portion.
This not the one piece replacement!
Has anyone seen this rotor in person to judge how close to original it looks?
They are bargain basement priced too.

I just bought a set, so I'll compare them to my originals.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 11:54:31 PM by Bossbill »
Bill

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 12:11:35 AM »
I just found another set of assembly line two part rotors, but the rotors need replacing.

I've heard of Century brand replacements for just the rotor (not the hub) but couldn't find another source for this now obsolete rotor.

On a lark I visited Rock Auto and found that Centric now sells just the rotor portion.
This not the one piece replacement!
Has anyone seen this rotor in person to judge how close to original it looks?
They are bargain basement priced too.

I just bought a set, so I'll compare them to my originals.
I am hoping you find them to be a good alternative. We will stand by for your report.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 12:27:16 AM »
While I was writing the above post and looking for input I just decided to order them as the pair shipped was under $100.

So yeah, the post sounded a bit disjointed since I was a bit disjointed about ordering them!
Bill

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 08:41:30 AM »
I am hoping you find them to be a good alternative. We will stand by for your report.

+1

I bought a similar pair from O'Reilleys a while back. They are OK, had to do some modifications to help them look more or less like original. I have only 1-good usable original K/H rotor. 2nd original KH rotor is too thin.
Richard Urch

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 02:51:55 PM »
Here  are some pictures of the Centric 125.61053 rotor I just received from RockAuto.
You be the judge as to whether or not this is a suitable replacement. IMO I think these are great.
Two issues, though.
 The casting is much smoother than stock --  that is apparent.
The vanes are inset a bit more than stock.

An original hub (from a 68, I believe) with a replacement no window rotor. It does not have K/H studs.

An original hub and rotor with the Centric laying on top of it.

Closeup of Centric window.

Backside of Centric.

Closeup of the inside of the Centric window.

Side view of Centric rotor vanes.

Finally, here is a Raybestos 6004 hub and rotor assy. The rotor looks quite similar to the Centric rotor.

If the paint is removed from the Centric rotor and installed on an original hub would it pass Concours muster?
Do you prefer the Raybestos 6004 hub and rotor?
Or maybe the 6004 rotor on a stock hub?

Bill

Offline Morsel

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 05:31:07 PM »
I'll be interested to hear the answer on this last question from the judges...

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 06:44:56 PM »
Here  are some pictures of the Centric 125.61053 rotor I just received from RockAuto.
You be the judge as to whether or not this is a suitable replacement. IMO I think these are great.
Two issues, though.
 The casting is much smoother than stock --  that is apparent.
The vanes are inset a bit more than stock.

An original hub (from a 68, I believe) with a replacement no window rotor. It does not have K/H studs.

An original hub and rotor with the Centric laying on top of it.

Closeup of Centric window.

Finally, here is a Raybestos 6004 hub and rotor assy. The rotor looks quite similar to the Centric rotor.

If the paint is removed from the Centric rotor and installed on an original hub would it pass Concours muster?
Do you prefer the Raybestos 6004 hub and rotor?
Or maybe the 6004 rotor on a stock hub?
Without seeing the finished product I hesitate to give a definitive ruling of what I would do in Concours trailered or SAAC DIV II judging. Getting rid of the odd shade paint and with a properly detailed hub you should be able to get it to look as good as the Raybestos rotor. Any other non assemblyline details in this regard would most likely be in the mention category and not in the deduction category. Just my opinion others may have different. 

Offline Morsel

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 07:34:44 PM »
Hey Bossbill, curious how this worked out for you with the new rotors and the older Kelsey Hayes Hubs? Did they go together and fit ok?

Thanks,

Jason