Author Topic: 1968 door panels  (Read 828 times)

Offline tmahle

1968 door panels
« on: April 11, 2018, 11:45:46 AM »
Does anyone have any pictures of black door panels for an original comfortweave interior car?  I'm seeing two styles on ebay and wondering how many Black styles door panels are there. Not including Deluxe.  One on ebay shows the line design or horizontal columns only on the bottom half and reproductions appear to have full door horizontal columns but I did see an original like that also.    My car is a trim code 8AA  trying to get correct door panels which were missing from car when I got it.

Offline ruppstang

Re: 1968 door panels
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 02:56:56 PM »
A comfort weave interior had the same standard door panel as the standard seats. There were only standard and deluxe door panels. Post some picture of what you are looking at.

Offline tmahle

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 03:22:57 PM »
That answered my question thanks.  After closer look at the picture on ebay the guy posted his panel with the wrong year.  The end was not pointed as the other one I was looking at was.  Probably just a poorly marked add.   The other examples I was looking at with was one from (TMI) and it has chrome trim, the original didn't would it be safe to say that it just wore off?  Both look same other than no chrome trim.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 05:15:54 PM »
That answered my question thanks.  After closer look at the picture on ebay the guy posted his panel with the wrong year.  The end was not pointed as the other one I was looking at was.  Probably just a poorly marked add.   The other examples I was looking at with was one from (TMI) and it has chrome trim, the original didn't would it be safe to say that it just wore off?  Both look same other than no chrome trim.

The "chrome" or mylar coating often just detaches and peels off over time

Here is an example of our original panels on our 8A interior (Black vinyl & Black Knitted Vinyl bench seat Calif Special

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline tmahle

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 09:09:54 AM »
What company makes the best reproduction near original?  Also for the armrest attached to them what is a good price to pay for original?  I assume getting original panels in good shape is rare.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 11:44:16 AM »
What company makes the best reproduction near original?  Also for the armrest attached to them what is a good price to pay for original?  I assume getting original panels in good shape is rare.
If good shape also includes not de laminating of the Mylar,I would put that event in the category of extremely rare.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline tmahle

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 11:33:55 PM »
I picked up what appears to be a good set.  Has anyone ever put the chrome back on?  One is in good shape but the other is pealing in spots.  Is there chrome tape on can replace the stuff falling off?  3M perhaps make something?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 12:01:17 AM »
I picked up what appears to be a good set.  Has anyone ever put the chrome back on?  One is in good shape but the other is pealing in spots.  Is there chrome tape on can replace the stuff falling off?  3M perhaps make something?
Not seen any repaired that doesn't look cheesy which is why the ones in good shape which includes good mylar/chrome are so rare. Unless you are on a very low budget it is not worth trying to repair the door panels with the peeling chrome. They will not look close to the appearance of a decent repro once repaired from all that I have seen IMO. Original is desirable over a repro when comparing apples to apples but I haven't seen a good repair technique on a original panel that doesn't look below expectations.  The repros are not that expensive. Maybe others have seen different .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby