Author Topic: C5 Starter Cable-Assembly line, NOS, or replacement?  (Read 837 times)

Offline 21.04

C5 Starter Cable-Assembly line, NOS, or replacement?
« on: February 16, 2018, 09:30:06 PM »
I recently purchased some parts from a guy locally who was an assembly line worker at the SJ plant from '65-68.  Among the parts, I found this C5 starter cable for V-8s that appears to have never been used.  I did not ask where he got it.  Cable is a little stiff but still bends.  I have 2 other early NOS C5 cables that have a molded end next to the terminal loop, along with an "SX" stamping.  This cable has a slight sticky rubber tube over the cable end holding the terminal loop in place.  This cable is about an inch shorter than my other 2 are.  No witness marks on the terminal ends.  Also, the terminal loops on this are smooth on top where my other 2 have a tiny square shaped projection at 12 o'clock.  Its an old cable and doubt this is one of Martiworks cables.  I had one of Marti's cables and took a photo of it.  it also has molded cable ends like the other 2 NOS versions I have.  Was this an assembly line version at any of the plants or has anyone seen a cable with these style ends on a known unrestored car or seen this as a Ford replacement?  I've tried to attach a photo.  First time attempting to load one.

Matt
66 K code Conv GT red/red deluxe 4 spd
66 A code Conv Non-GT black/red deluxe 3 spd
66 Sprint Conv Unrestored Green/blk std 3 spd

Offline 21.04

Re: C5 Starter Cable-Assembly line, NOS, or replacement?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 09:36:05 PM »
For comparison:  Last photo is of one of Marti's repro cables showing the molded cable ends and the square bump at 12 O'clock like the 2 NOS pieces I have. 

Matt

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 10:27:17 PM »
I've only seen them with molded ends.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 11:38:17 PM »
I've only seen them with molded ends.
+1 .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 21.04

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 06:55:35 AM »
Thanks for both of your input.

Offline 1966KGT

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 07:06:37 AM »
sent you a pm
1966 K GT, BUILT 11/08/65 4 SPEED, SAN JOSE CAR, 1969 Mustang convertible, 1970 MACH 1, 1963 GALAXIE Q code Fastback, 1966 mustang t code coupe, fuel injected

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 10:10:05 PM »
I recently purchased some parts from a guy locally who was an assembly line worker at the SJ plant from '65-68.  Among the parts, I found this C5 starter cable for V-8s that appears to have never been used.  I did not ask where he got it.  Cable is a little stiff but still bends.  I have 2 other early NOS C5 cables that have a molded end next to the terminal loop, along with an "SX" stamping.  This cable has a slight sticky rubber tube over the cable end holding the terminal loop in place.  This cable is about an inch shorter than my other 2 are.  No witness marks on the terminal ends.  Also, the terminal loops on this are smooth on top where my other 2 have a tiny square shaped projection at 12 o'clock.  Its an old cable and doubt this is one of Martiworks cables.  I had one of Marti's cables and took a photo of it.  it also has molded cable ends like the other 2 NOS versions I have.  Was this an assembly line version at any of the plants or has anyone seen a cable with these style ends on a known unrestored car or seen this as a Ford replacement?  I've tried to attach a photo.  First time attempting to load one.

Matt
I found this starter cable on ebay and copied the pictures. It is a C4 version which has the molded ends .This is before the C5 version in your picture. It would follow that given the a earlier C4  version has the molded end and the later 67 up version has molded ends that the more typical C5 version would have molded ends also. This is not to say that your cable is not genuine but that the molded ends is more typical of a assemblyline used cable.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 02:48:54 PM »
Here's a picture of three starter cables I have. The top one came from my Oct 18, 65 San Jose build HP Fastback, the middle one from my Oct 15, 65 San Jose build "A" code Hardtop, the bottom is a repro, marked C6DF-14431-A. The upper two are marked C5ZF-14431-A, which are 65 cables used on 66 models, probably to use up inventory. The main difference is the C5ZF- uses 2 integral brackets to attach the cable to the RH engine mounting, the C6DF- use one.
Note the molded connectors.
Note the two different types of lugs on the upper two original cables.
Note the lower repro cable's lug is "similar" to the middle cable.
I bought the C6DF- cable with the intent to remove the woven insulator and use it on the middle cable then install the cable on the HP. I could not get the insulator off. I took the easy way out, used a repro C5ZF- cable.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.