Author Topic: Nice Article - MCA Judging  (Read 3100 times)

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• '68 KR,'69 Boss9, '64 FIA Cobra
Re: Nice Article - MCA Judging
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 05:14:49 PM »
Most of the judges that have been around for a while accept that the Unrestored class is the most important/prestigious class in MCA.

That's surprising, as the T-bred class seems to get all the attention, prestige, and press at MCA in general and in the resale market for sure.
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 11:43:19 PM »
That's surprising, as the T-bred class seems to get all the attention, prestige, and press at MCA in general and in the resale market for sure.

Well, T-bred restorations are quite rare.  I'm guessing there hasn't been more than 20 or so ever done.  I never felt like the one I did got any special attention or prestige at an MCA show.  Quite the contrary, I heard of disparaging remarks about the car through the grapevine.  Had the car at 2 MCA grand nationals, it won Gold and the Authenticity Award both times and never even got so much as a mention in Mustang Times, not even a picture.  In recent years, there were talks about giving penalty points to cars that did not start and drive.  It was never a requirement in the past to start/drive a T-bred car, so some owners choose not to.  Especially considering what correct NOS exhaust systems can cost.  While I agree that there seems to be some recent positive press, it's not the norm.  In my opinion, Unrestored is the best class in MCA.

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• '68 KR,'69 Boss9, '64 FIA Cobra
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 12:19:01 AM »
Well, T-bred restorations are quite rare.  I'm guessing there hasn't been more than 20 or so ever done.  I never felt like the one I did got any special attention or prestige at an MCA show.  Quite the contrary, I heard of disparaging remarks about the car through the grapevine.  Had the car at 2 MCA grand nationals, it won Gold and the Authenticity Award both times and never even got so much as a mention in Mustang Times, not even a picture.  In recent years, there were talks about giving penalty points to cars that did not start and drive.  It was never a requirement in the past to start/drive a T-bred car, so some owners choose not to.  Especially considering what correct NOS exhaust systems can cost.  While I agree that there seems to be some recent positive press, it's not the norm.  In my opinion, Unrestored is the best class in MCA.

I would agree it should be, far better than Trailered Concours or T-bred in terms of significance, it is that way in other car organizations, like the very prestigious 5 Star Bowtie Award in NCRS for instance.  However, most people would not appreciate them unless they are very low mileage (say less than 5K miles) and in pristine condition without lots of rust and grease and dirt and wear/deterioration that too many seem to have, as well as the fact that many have to be pushed into position as many items on the car do not function anymore.  That tends to distract people from valuing them fully, IMO.
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.