Author Topic: MCA getting rid of Concours Driven Trailered class???  (Read 5354 times)

Offline mmsnyr8120

MCA getting rid of Concours Driven Trailered class???
« on: January 02, 2016, 06:00:14 PM »
Is it true that it is in Mustang Times?  We won't get our magazine for another week.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: MCA getting rid of Concours Driven Trailered class???
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 06:27:40 PM »
haven't got my mag yet but it was discussed at the judges meeting.
5F09C331248

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• '68 KR,'69 Boss9, '64 FIA Cobra
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 07:02:42 PM »
I got mine today and didn't see anything about that, but the mag is not well organized or indexed so I could have missed it.
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 08:13:37 PM »
This information is in the Judges Corner section of the Mustang Times. ( CDT class discontinued) I know that their was some discussion about the class but didn't know that it was finalized. I'm disappointed to say the least.

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 08:20:47 PM »
Heard that it was discussed, but surprised that the class was dropped.  From what I've seen, the class still had a good amount of entrants. 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 09:37:46 PM »
Heard that it was discussed, but surprised that the class was dropped. 
  +1From what I've seen, the class still had a good amount of entrants. 

I think it's going to cause some people to stay home.

Offline mmsnyr8120

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 09:41:21 PM »
Very bad decision.  If it was for newer cars, then maybe.  But the older cars and the older drivers have a harder time on the roads. 

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 09:45:43 PM »
I can confirm CDT is gone. It's not bad. All driven cars will be in Concours driven whether driven to the show or trailered. They will have to show real signs of being real driven cars at check in. In the past CDA, CDB, CDC.... and CDT were judged just the same and since the cars are judged against a standard and not head to head it will still be fair to put them in the same class. It will greatly simplify things in the tally room and for the assistant head judges. It was also a bit confusing at the awards ceremony for cars from several generations being given awards in the same class.
We would welcome you thoughts and comments on this change at mustang.org
Marty

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 10:53:57 PM »
It makes sense from the tally room perspective and judging  The reason we did not combine them back when the class was originally created is because the owner of a driven car would not want to be in the same class as a car that was trailered.  Maybe times have changed since then and owners are willing to accept it now.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 09:31:41 AM »
I would think that the consequence of this change will be that all of these cars will now be trailered to the shows.  Cleanliness is such a big part of the presentation that it will be hard to compete using a truly "driven" car.
Jim
'66 GT FB, '69 CJ Grande

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• '68 KR,'69 Boss9, '64 FIA Cobra
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 10:23:26 AM »
I would think that the consequence of this change will be that all of these cars will now be trailered to the shows.  Cleanliness is such a big part of the presentation that it will be hard to compete using a truly "driven" car.

+1, driven cars are on the way out, and that preoccupation with cleanliness is just silly, but I guess that is easy to judge objectively and a good crutch to use instead of looking at technical correctness.
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 12:26:40 PM »
I agree that there are less of the first generation cars on the road but IMHO it is due to the cost of restoration and the value of the early cars.

I had a 68 fastback that I put 38 thousand miles on showing it in the concours driven class. I know very well the challenges of keeping it clean after driving 1500 miles to a show. I love to drive our cars and consider that the cost of doing business.

I have judged the driven class many times and often encounter a owner who thought the driven class was a excuse to not thoroughly clean their car. Cleanliness is a big part of a concours showing. The scoring standards are lower in the driven classed, giving them a break on some road acquired dirt. Trailered gold up to -21 Driven gold -35. As I said above there will need to be visible signs that the car is driven at Classification to enter the concours driven class. It is the MCA's goal to provide a fun and fair environment in which to show your car. 

(but I guess that is easy to judge objectively and a good crutch to use instead of looking at technical correctness)
Mike this is a bit of a insult to us here on the forum who give our time to judge these events.
Marty

Offline mmsnyr8120

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 01:14:23 PM »
So people won't have to cheat?  Trailer their cars 10 miles from the show and then drive them in?  These cars might be driven in their home town and look driven.  Check in is supposed to be able to tell? 

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2016, 01:40:09 PM »
If the rule was made for class CDT, I to wonder why it wouldn't apply to classes ODL, ODM and ODN. I haven't heard anything about the latter three. ??????????

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2016, 02:14:47 PM »
So people won't have to cheat?  Trailer their cars 10 miles from the show and then drive them in?  These cars might be driven in their home town and look driven.  Check in is supposed to be able to tell?
Yes the cheating was always a problem even when we had CDT. Now we do not care how the car gets to the show it just needs to show signs of being driven
 ( hint more miles on the odometer)
Matt I know you could tell whether a car is being driven or not.