Author Topic: Fuel tank install with fuel neck in place, can it be done?  (Read 608 times)

Offline 1967 eight barrel

Fuel tank install with fuel neck in place, can it be done?
« on: April 07, 2016, 07:37:17 PM »
I am trying to button up the posterior of my '67 Shelby, however I would like to install the tail lamp panel and bumper now, but still have access via the tank opening through the floor until I get the trap door aligned.  I thought perhaps I could slide the tank under the neck if I pushed the rubber hose all the way up on the filler neck.
Under normal circumstances, I would leave the gas cap off and install it later, but you can't get the pop open gas cap on once the tail lamp panel is mounted.

-Keith
A Commander has to make vital decision on incomplete information in a matter of seconds, and afterwards the experts can sit down at leisure, with all the facts before them, and argue about what he might, could or should have done.
Field Marshal Sir William Slim

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Fuel tank install with fuel neck in place, can it be done?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 10:08:40 PM »
I am trying to button up the posterior of my '67 Shelby, however I would like to install the tail lamp panel and bumper now, but still have access via the tank opening through the floor until I get the trap door aligned.  I thought perhaps I could slide the tank under the neck if I pushed the rubber hose all the way up on the filler neck.
Under normal circumstances, I would leave the gas cap off and install it later, but you can't get the pop open gas cap on once the tail lamp panel is mounted.

-Keith
It can be done but with that said you do not want to do it that way.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 1967 eight barrel

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 03:22:03 AM »
Bob, I know it's not ideal, at least on me physically, but what difficulties did you encounter doing it this way?

-Keith
A Commander has to make vital decision on incomplete information in a matter of seconds, and afterwards the experts can sit down at leisure, with all the facts before them, and argue about what he might, could or should have done.
Field Marshal Sir William Slim

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 10:42:03 PM »
Bob, I know it's not ideal, at least on me physically, but what difficulties did you encounter doing it this way?

-Keith
It is a very tight fit and easy to tear something up.You will regret it if you try to do it that way.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby