Author Topic: 1967 Shelby tail lamp housings.. Did they really just cut the 1/4-20 studs off?  (Read 593 times)

Offline 1967 eight barrel

I am working with the rear of the vehicle and I was looking at the studs that are on the tail lamp housings. It appears as if they used 1/4-20 all thread, cut them to a fixed length, tightened up the serrated nuts and cut them off with something like Dykes or a screw cutter of some kind.  I don't know why I didn't notice this before.
Common practice? These are down right dangerous!
                                                                                        -Keith
A Commander has to make vital decision on incomplete information in a matter of seconds, and afterwards the experts can sit down at leisure, with all the facts before them, and argue about what he might, could or should have done.
Field Marshal Sir William Slim

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Yes pretty typical.

Not sure why the surprise. Look at the neat job done on some taillight panels or if you look at a 66 the quarter vent (cut out for the quarter windows) hack jobs
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
I am working with the rear of the vehicle and I was looking at the studs that are on the tail lamp housings. It appears as if they used 1/4-20 all thread, cut them to a fixed length, tightened up the serrated nuts and cut them off with something like Dykes or a screw cutter of some kind.  I don't know why I didn't notice this before.
Common practice? These are down right dangerous!
                                                                                        -Keith
Common practice. Bolt cutter was used.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 1967 eight barrel

Jeff, based on the cut out tail lamp panel, perhaps I shouldn't be. However, I can see how easy it would be to drag your arm across them and cut it wide open. In this litigious day and age I am sure there would have been a recall. Anyway, I am going to make new studs and fit them. I am struggling to get the nuts started on the studs as bad as some of them are.

-Keith
A Commander has to make vital decision on incomplete information in a matter of seconds, and afterwards the experts can sit down at leisure, with all the facts before them, and argue about what he might, could or should have done.
Field Marshal Sir William Slim