Author Topic: Eastwood 2K Aerosol Spray Paint  (Read 6017 times)

Offline Bob Zink

Eastwood 2K Aerosol Spray Paint
« on: December 23, 2014, 11:10:57 PM »
I am planning to remove my engine this spring and paint my engine bay.  I've been gathering information and reading about the pros/cons of using rattle can spray paint versus using a 2 part catalyzed paint from a spray gun.  I would like the durability and quality finish of the 2 part spray gun paint.  However, I am leaning toward doing the paint prep and masking myself in my garage for several reasons.  I've never sprayed paint from a gun before even though I have a compressor. 

While surfing the net, I stumbled on a product from Eastwood called 2K Aero Spray paint.  It appears they have figured out how to put an activator/hardener into a canister that you activate just before painting.   They also have put a higher quality spray nozzle on for better coverage and claim this is a 2 component catalyzed urethane aerosol spray paint.  Check out the video below if you are intrigued. 

Has anyone ever used this Eastwood under hood black 2K Aero product before ?  If so, how did it work out for you?  This product may allow me to paint my engine bay myself in my garage.  I'm sure it will stink a lot more than a rattle can paint and they say you need to wear spray gun protection. 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Eastwood 2K Aerosol Spray Paint
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 12:25:00 AM »
Have some clear but have not had the guts (or project) I wanted to try it on. Since you work your way around the whole compartment as well as the radiator support and plenty of nooks and crannies that have to be covered I wonder how well it bends both on meeting edges and with the overspray.

Also touch (your surely going to have a scratch or two some where) wonder how easy that will be .

Sorry more questioned than answers this time :(   

Hopefully someone who has used it will chime in or you'll be the official site guinea pig this time  :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline JKWilson

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 04:57:52 PM »
I can relay some information regarding the catalyzed spray cans in general. The last time I visited my favorite auto body supply store the subject came up. They told me that it truly is a catalyzed paint just like that being mixed and shot from a regular gun (product, not spray pattern). The paint is the same product as what is in a can (for spraying with a gun), and the catalyst is introduced whenever you break the seal by "activating" that portion of the spray can. Obviously the application temperature range is set by the can contents and should be outlined in the application instructions on the exterior of the can or the spec sheet. Basically, the only thing that changes is the delivery system. With that said, I would imagine whatever is in the can would/should be as durable as what you would apply with a gun. I was told if I ever use any to insure to thoroughly shake the can to insure proper mixing. Hope that helps some.
'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD

Offline Bob Zink

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 10:21:13 PM »
Thanks for the information.  It seems like this might be a good alternative for my engine bay project.  I am still gathering information, but at this point I am planning on trying this catalyzed spray paint sometime in April when I get my car back out of storage. 

Offline 1969 Cale II

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 05:01:00 PM »
Seeing you have a compressor, check the cost of a cheap touch-up gun and paint. I know the cans are spendy. Think about how many cans you have to buy and do the math. You might be better off with a touch-up gun( which you could use again). I do some cars from time to time and having the mini gun makes life easier. Both ways will stink up the garage. Wear a respirator.

priceless

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 02:54:50 PM »
I've always stood by Eastwood paints for all the uses where I've needed an aerosol spray paint. I've used Eastwood aerosol paints on my Now Conservator 69 Mach1 back when I was showing it in MCA Concours.

If I was restoring a Mustang now, I wouldn't hesitate to use the 2K Aero spray paint. The coverage looks outstanding !!

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 05:25:56 PM »
I've always stood by Eastwood paints for all the uses where I've needed an aerosol spray paint. I've used Eastwood aerosol paints on my Now Conservator 69 Mach1 back when I was showing it in MCA Concours.

If I was restoring a Mustang now, I wouldn't hesitate to use the 2K Aero spray paint. The coverage looks outstanding !!

I agree with you on a lot of the Eastwood paints, except for their under hood black. It's too glossy, unless you are in to Bow Tie cars.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

priceless

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 05:46:08 PM »
I agree with you on a lot of the Eastwood paints, except for their under hood black. It's too glossy, unless you are in to Bow Tie cars.
Jim
Actually, I used Eastwood chassis black in the engine compartment. It's been a LONG time since I painted the engine bay, probably 12-15 years. I never had a Judge to say anything about the sheen/shade. And it turned out really well.

Off topic a little, but when I had my engine rebuilt back in 2010, I used duplicolor 1606 on my engine, turned out REALLY nice. To my liking anyway.  Again, never had a Judge to comment on it. 

My wife told me I have a knack for rattle can spray paints. 8)

Offline Bob Zink

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 05:59:00 PM »
Your engine bay looks perfect to me priceless.  The blue has not faded at all.  How many miles would you estimate are on the engine since it was painted with duplicolor 1606? 

Did you spray your engine bay with rattle can chassis black 10 years ago?  Or was it sprayed from a paint gun? 

priceless

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 06:21:54 PM »
Your engine bay looks perfect to me priceless.  The blue has not faded at all.  How many miles would you estimate are on the engine since it was painted with duplicolor 1606? 

Did you spray your engine bay with rattle can chassis black 10 years ago?  Or was it sprayed from a paint gun?
I'd say about 2400 miles since the engine rebuild in 2010. I show it 2-3 times a year in hot sun too (MCA shows, Myrtle Beach Mustang week, etc). I trailer it everywhere outside of 100 miles from my house, then drive it whenever I get to my destination. In Myrtle Beach, once we got there, we drove it about 300 miles that week. The Mach hasn't been to MB since my wife drove it down when she graduated from high school in 1982. ;D   We have always showed our Mach1 in MCA Concours Driven. So, yes, she gets driven A LOT.

The answer to your 2nd question, yes, I used Eastwood chassis black rattle can in the engine compartment about 12-15 years ago.  As a matter of fact, I used rattle can on everything.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 06:28:39 PM by priceless »

Offline Bob Zink

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 08:13:00 PM »

The answer to your 2nd question, yes, I used Eastwood chassis black rattle can in the engine compartment about 12-15 years ago.  As a matter of fact, I used rattle can on everything.

Perhaps rattle can paint was better 12 years ago than it is now.  I'd be very happy if my engine bay and paint look that nice after 12 years and using spray cans.  I drive my shelby 1,000 miles per year and don't plan to show it.  It is a very solid California car with no rust and low miles.

priceless

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 08:36:27 PM »
Getting back to the Eastwood 2K Aero spray paint.  I'd use it. Eastwood paints have never let me down and it Looks like it would be an exceptional paint for your needs on the engines bay, undercarriage, etc.