Author Topic: Heater hoses  (Read 7401 times)

Offline Fastback2013

Heater hoses
« on: January 16, 2015, 03:10:39 PM »
I need some help with choosing the correct heater hoses.
As you know/see my FB was built 01/12/67.
The heater hoses aren't the originals anymore, so I need to replace them by new 'concours correct' ones (if possible, of course)
I have contacted Marti Autoworks (because I think he is providing the most correct ones(?) and there is a choose between :
- 1x yellow - 1x white striped hoses
- 2x white striped hoses
- 2x yellow striped hoses
Can anybody confirm/ tell me which 'colorcode' would be correct for my car?
I would appreciate your input and, if possible, some pictures...
Happy weekend,
Kind regards,
Jeroen
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967

Offline 67gta289

John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Fastback2013

Re: Heater hoses
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 12:56:57 PM »
Thanks for the link, John.
Is it 'safe' to think that it would be best (for my car) to take the white stripes, since my thermactor hoses have also 'stampings' in white?
Or must I see those 2 items separated, so that the heater hoses are not related with the hoses that where used for the thermactor system?
Thanks for clearing this out.
Jeroen
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 01:12:49 PM »
I agree that the white stripes are good for your heater hoses.  As for thermactor hoses, those don't go hand in hand as far as color coordination.   I've only seen those with white stripes and part numbering, but here in the Midwest thermactor equipped 67's are far and few between.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 04:17:06 PM »
Agree the thermactor hoses and the heater hoses have almost nothing in common so comparing stripe colors makes little sense IMHO plenty of original cars with yellow or red heater hoses (stripes)  with thermactor hoses with no or white stripes (67 and up cars) . Different suppliers - different hoses.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Fastback2013

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 05:05:34 PM »
Thanks John and Jeff for your explanations.
But isn't there a sort of time frame where supplier 'X' delivered hose 'Y' for that plant and/of that month?
Or is it so that a SJ car built in January could have had heater hoses in white, red or yellow stripes?
If that would be possible, then is it nearly impossible to know for sure which color of stripe was delivered on each car?
Or am I missing something  ???
Jeroen
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 05:19:36 PM »
But isn't there a sort of time frame where supplier 'X' delivered hose 'Y' for that plant and/of that month?

Or is it so that a SJ car built in January could have had heater hoses in white, red or yellow stripes?

If that would be possible, then is it nearly impossible to know for sure which color of stripe was delivered on each car?

Thing the answer to all three questions is the same

Yes there may be if someone took the time to document and offer for review those findings but at this point don't know anyone that has focused specifically on that. None of this comes without effort, time and dedication. Answers don't always come quickly as today's users of the internet expect. Most answers start with an owner with a need
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 06:15:08 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Fastback2013

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 05:42:36 PM »
Thanks Jeff for replying.
I didn't want to offend anybody of anything!
I am aware that there are probably more questions than answers.
It is just not easy as a starter to overlook the whole picture.
The only thing that you want to do (and I think everybody?) is getting it done as close as possible, and the less you know the harder it is...
Kind regards,
Jeroen
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 10:17:50 PM »
I am aware that there are probably more questions than answers.
It is just not easy as a starter to overlook the whole picture.
The only thing that you want to do (and I think everybody?) is getting it done as close as possible, and the less you know the harder it is...
Kind regards,
Jeroen
From my observations the white hoses are most typical early . The red and yellow hoses are a typically much later variation (March 67 maybe) with yellow being most predominate May/June.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Fastback2013

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 02:11:40 AM »
Thanks Bob,
Much appreciated!
Jeroen
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 06:44:27 AM »
Thing the answer to all three questions is the same

Yes there may be if someone took the time to document and offer for review those findings but at this point don't know anyone that has focused specifically on that. None of this comes without effort, time and dedication. Answers don't always come quickly as today's users of the internet expect. Most answers start with an owner with a need

Recently, in other threads, this very thing has occurred (e.g. vacuum reservoirs) Though we haven't come up with a definitive answer to the "changeover date(s)" we have observed a general direction of the running changes of those items. All such data needs to be collected from ORIGINAL build vehicles and confirmed at least 3 times for each running change at each assembly plant and options, such as Air Conditioning have to be considered with the data collection. This can be a daunting task since Heater Hoses were one of the first things replaced, along with the belts and spark plugs/points/oil etc., ...nobody took notes of such things back when these cars were 2 years old or so.
From my observations the white hoses are most typical early . The red and yellow hoses are a typically much later variation (March 67 maybe) with yellow being most predominate May/June.

Observations of restorers and/or judges, such as Bob Gaines, Bob Perkins, Tim Lea, and so on, are a great source of original build information. They have probably seen more unmolested cars that may still have the original hoses on them. Their advise would be far more accurate than any parts vendors supply catalog, trust in their experience and combined knowledge on such concerns where a definite answer seems to be impossible to find.

Better yet, begin the research yourself and share your findings here. "Rules" are not always "correct" and with enough evidence, rules can and have been changed on such details.

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 04:07:28 PM »
Recently, in other threads, this very thing has occurred (e.g. vacuum reservoirs) Though we haven't come up with a definitive answer to the "changeover date(s)" we have observed a general direction of the running changes of those items. All such data needs to be collected from ORIGINAL build vehicles and confirmed at least 3 times for each running change at each assembly plant and options, such as Air Conditioning have to be considered with the data collection. This can be a daunting task since Heater Hoses were one of the first things replaced, along with the belts and spark plugs/points/oil etc., ...nobody took notes of such things back when these cars were 2 years old or so.
Observations of restorers and/or judges, such as Bob Gaines, Bob Perkins, Tim Lea, and so on, are a great source of original build information. They have probably seen more unmolested cars that may still have the original hoses on them. Their advise would be far more accurate than any parts vendors supply catalog, trust in their experience and combined knowledge on such concerns where a definite answer seems to be impossible to find.

Better yet, begin the research yourself and share your findings here. "Rules" are not always "correct" and with enough evidence, rules can and have been changed on such details.

Richard
No doubt alphabetical, but putting my name in front of BP is going to get me yelled at by one of my teachers. :D
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 08:05:07 PM »

Don't believe anyone took it that way :)

Just trying to explain that everything we know started with an owner or judge asking the question then going out and doing the "leg work"
Jeff Speegle

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 09:45:16 PM »
No doubt alphabetical, but putting my name in front of BP is going to get me yelled at by one of my teachers. :D
I thought the idea was to save the best for last...
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2015, 10:25:32 PM »
Ran across this in the Jan 67 MPC.  We know that the MPC is known to be incorrect on occasion.  But then again it is correct most of the time.

This does not rule out anything, and observations of a gaggle of unrestored vehicles will continue to be the best source of truth.

John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660