Author Topic: Concours Driven Class Tire selection  (Read 3931 times)

Offline priceless

• Silver Level Subscriber
Re: Concours Driven Class Tire selection
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 10:38:46 PM »
Concours driven requirements for 1967:

1. P Metric radial max size 215 accepted (no oversized tires) in driven.
2. White or black wall accepted (no white letter) in driven.
3. Radial accepted in driven.
4. All five tires must match in trailered and driven.
This is what I was going to post originally, but elected not to.
I PM'ed Travis instead.

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 10:40:06 PM »
Bob, this is Richie, not Jim. And the OP was wanting to know about 67's from what he has posted.

Believe Bob quoted the wrong post, his reply was to 'rockhouse', aka Jim.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2015, 11:36:34 AM »
Here's what I ended up getting, the Coker Firestone F70-14 Tires with the White Stripe
Travis Waters

Mine -
1967 Mustang GTA S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Dec. 13, 1966 (Thermactor)

Daddy / Daughter Project -
1967 Mustang S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Sept. 9, 1966

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• '68 KR,'69 Boss9, '64 FIA Cobra
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2015, 12:28:43 PM »
Exactly what I have, they are nice tires and not bad for driving either, they are belted polyester cord tires, so not nearly as bad as the '67 Corvette Goodyear tires Kelsey sells that are nylon (as they have to be for judging) and they flat spot badly and are hard as a rock when cold.

As an aside to this thread, I was curious about the sidewall white wall changes that happened from '67 on.  The '67 Firestones mostly had the thin whitewall way out on the sidewall, as shown in the brochures, pictures in the day, etc. My brother had a tire store for over 50 years, and sold these tires in '67 and later.  I asked him and he said as he remembers it, Firestone had complaints about the white wall position from consumers not long after they came out, so they changed it to a more traditional position on the sidewall, like these new ones have, in maybe late '67 and for sure '68.  He said he was sure they disposed of those molds early on, when they made the switch, as they would have been useless to them after the change was made.  So I think it is logical that Coker or anyone else would have to remake the molds, and that would be much more expensive than using the existing ones that have the traditional sidewall.
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2015, 02:59:20 PM »
I looked in to this several years ago and was told that there was a Ford version and a GM version of the F70 wide ovals. Coker went where the demand was the greatest and made the GM version. I hate the thought that I have them on my car.
Marty

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• '68 KR,'69 Boss9, '64 FIA Cobra
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2015, 07:21:58 PM »
IMO, the later white side wall design (GM maybe) looks better than the earlier one, which looks odd being so far out on the edge of the tire.  It looks like most all the whitewall tires of the day.
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.