Author Topic: Decal Crazy - 66 Dearborn C code  (Read 5551 times)

Offline Building 3

Decal Crazy - 66 Dearborn C code
« on: March 06, 2015, 07:26:36 PM »
I am about to wrap up the engine compartment on my 1966 Dearborn C-Code.  The decal packages that are sold seem to contain way too many decals and I don't want to over do it.  Here is my understanding as to what should be in the engine compartment. Left inner fender: silver emission/calibration decal. Right inner fender: Battery OK. Firewall, left side: paint OK "P." Air cleaner: front: 289 2v, rear: Autolite spark plugs.  Do I have it correct?  Too many, not enough? Thanks. 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 11:19:47 PM by J_Speegle »
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Decal Crazy
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 08:15:44 PM »
You must have purchased one of the "kits" rather than individual decals. First a few comments
'
1- don't forget to fill out the battery inspection decal

2- check to see if the "P" sticker has square corners

3- guess you didn't buy a engine id decal that is applied across the coil and strap vertically. Also the stapled on red heavy paper label that attaches to the radio resistor wire at the voltage regulator

4- there is an additional inspection decal that goes in the trunk but you can't purchase one from any of the vendors that make them

5- guessing all the decals you got are vinyl rather than paper based like original

6- given your cars projected build date I think I would go with the rectangle AUTOLITE decal applied to the driver's side of the air cleaner base rather than the top of the air cleaner.

We'll see what others have to offer :)

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 09:27:35 PM »
You must have purchased one of the "kits" rather than individual decals. First a few comments
'
1- don't forget to fill out the battery inspection decal

Jeff,

Can you show what an original one looks like?  Thinking about redoing mine and would like to see an example.  I assume they vary from plant to plant and obviously the worker doing it...
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline Building 3

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 02:36:51 PM »
Jeff,
Thanks for your comments.  it seems that the decals are more complicated than just sticking on what is in the kit. So I have a few more questions.
1. How should the "Battery Ok" decal be filled out?
2. The correct "P" has square corners?
3. Any suggestions as to where I can buy the engine ID decal for the coil and the radio resistor one?
4. You are correct, these are vinyl based decals. Are there sources for the correct paper ones?
Thanks again,
Tom

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 10:50:48 PM »
Jeff,
Thanks for your comments.  it seems that the decals are more complicated than just sticking on what is in the kit. So I have a few more questions.
1. How should the "Battery Ok" decal be filled out?

Filling out a 66 Dearborn battery inspection decal is not the easiest thing to do since few have survived over the years. The stickers were not made to last past the assembly line - the paper quickly wrinkles, gets wet, falls off or becomes unreadable

Looking through my pictures I have not a single one from that time period or plant. And its difficult to try and apply what they did in 65 over to 66 since there are multiple methods of markings in 65 depending on (best guess) when the car were completed or even if the inspector was a regular or fill in guy. Have seen all hand writing, stamp for date of inspection and a inspector punch out for the inspector identification

You will be looking to use (based on what I've seen) the sticker again with sharp corners (no rounded corners here) with the black stock printing for the standard format to start.

2. The correct "P" has square corners?

Yes - Some of the current and present reproduction have round corners. Not sure where that started but they have been around for over 20 years which can lead allot of others to believe they are original. Old and worn = original  :(

3. Any suggestions as to where I can buy the engine ID decal for the coil and the radio resistor one?

Believe Osborn makes the voltage regulator ones but not a great IMHO reproduction and some restorers have choosen to make their own

Check ECS for the engine ID sticker. NPD and Virgina should both carry them also. They may be in the "concours" decal section

4. You are correct, these are vinyl based decals. Are there sources for the correct paper ones?

Making them yourself - no easy button this time
Jeff Speegle

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 10:19:14 AM »

"4- there is an additional inspection decal that goes in the trunk but you can't purchase one from any of the vendors that make them."

Jeff, Are you referring to the "B" decal here???....or something else??

Curious...

:o)

Tony K.
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 04:19:59 PM »

"4- there is an additional inspection decal that goes in the trunk but you can't purchase one from any of the vendors that make them."

Jeff, Are you referring to the "B" decal here???....or something else??

Rereading what I wrote - I should have said it differently  ::)

Should have likely said - there is an additional inspection sticker I've seen in a few 66 Dearborn  trunks but don't know if its being reproduced.

With that correction - Yes I was referring to a black B
Jeff Speegle

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 10:11:16 PM »
Thought that a picture is better than just speaking..

See Below:

Nate from "Buckeye" restored this car a few years ago. It's a Dearborn '66.  Oh, and egad!, The "B" decal also has "rounded" corners...  I always wondered about his placement of the decal..  What are your thoughts on the placement Jeff..

:o)

Tony K.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 08:07:16 PM by NEFaurora »
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 12:36:17 AM »
Thought that a picture is better than just speaking....  I always wondered about his placement of the decal..  What are your thoughts on the placement Jeff..

Location matches some original examples I have (not the corner though ;)   Orientation/rotation can vary of course.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Building 3

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 12:25:51 PM »
Thanks for the input. I think I have what I need but I need one more clarification. The Engine ID decal that goes on the coil bracket. I have not seen original cars, but it seems that restorations have them installed in two ways:  vertically so that they are attached to the top side of the coil, then bracket, and then the bottom side of the coil, but also horizontally so that the decal is only on the bracket. Which would be more correct for a December 1965 Dearborn build?  Thank you.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Decal Crazy - 66 Dearborn
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 06:05:22 PM »
........... The Engine ID decal that goes on the coil bracket. I have not seen original cars, but it seems that restorations have them installed in two ways:  vertically so that they are attached to the top side of the coil, then bracket, and then the bottom side of the coil, but also horizontally so that the decal is only on the bracket.

Looking at "restored" cars I would guess :)

Which would be more correct for a December 1965 Dearborn build? 

For your time period its sort of a toss up IMHO. Detail is not vehicle assembly plant dependent but engine plant related.  The normal/typical/correct way would be horizontal over the bracket and side of the coil for that time period IMHO. Not the best picture but it works. Car was barely months old and the sticker is already coming off

Jeff Speegle

Offline Building 3

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 05:38:35 PM »
Jeff,
That photo is perfect.  Now I know exactly where it goes and how it should look.
Thanks!

Offline Building 3

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 08:17:40 PM »
Should there be a white rectangular coolant decal centered on top of the radiator support? It says to maintain the coolant at -35 degrees and other information. I think not, but I have seen some restorations that have them. I don't want to over-do it with decals, I want to be correct. Thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 08:54:52 PM »
Should there be a white rectangular coolant decal centered on top of the radiator support?.........

At this point I would leave it off
Jeff Speegle

Offline Building 3

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 10:52:58 AM »
Thanks. I won't add it to the car.