Author Topic: original specs and finishes  (Read 1724 times)

Offline socalgt

original specs and finishes
« on: April 19, 2015, 12:01:14 AM »
I understand there is no actual published guide for the original finishes, plating, etc. for '65-'67 to be referenced during restoration.  If that is true, is there a detailed judging manual that restorers can use for that purpose?....(as for midyear corvettes)

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: original specs and finishes
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 01:09:21 AM »
Unfortunately there is no such manual or publication.  Places like this forum will aid greatly in your restoration, lots of old topics to search on that will probably help with most questions.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 02:07:46 PM »
Discussed here and elsewhere a few times but its a really big job considering (compared to simple cars like Corvettes) all the options, body styles, multiple suppliers and plants.

Only one made it into a draft and it was 4 inches thick) in print, covered one year, engine compartment only and didn't show all the differences between plants.

But this sort of effort always has to start somewhere and "we" should have started 30 years ago. If so we might be on our first rewrite by now.  I do invite you to start - as it always seems to take one person to spend allot of time and effort to get the ball rolling.  Look forward to the results of the efforts
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 02:26:55 PM »
Unfortunately there is no such manual or publication.  Places like this forum will aid greatly in your restoration, lots of old topics to search on that will probably help with most questions.

Pardon me, I'm going to drift off topic. This forum is a tremendous source of information. In addition to thoroughly-reasearched knowledge from people with years of first-hand observation, whatever is posted is essentially peer-reviewed. That means answers have been verified to some extent, and and on topics where the "truth" isn't fully known, the discussion will highlight that fact. How can all of this info be preserved so it is not lost someday? Websites don't last forever, nor do people. Is the site backed up in case of technical failure? Is there a plan to transfer control to a new caretaker in the event that Jeff decides to "retire"? Same goes for private collections (e.g. Jeff's photo collection).
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 03:00:59 PM »
There are documents that get close: the Mustang Assembly Manuals; AMK's Guide to Ford Fasteners; several other publications. In a former life (back when I worked for a living designing "things"), there was an engineering drawing created that detailed what was to be done on a project. It need to be approved by the company and the customer. There are always "variations" encountered in making that "thing". If the "variations" were approved by the company and the customer, the engineering drawings were "redlined" (a term meaning the correction was applied to the drawing in red ink or pencil) to reflect that "variation". I use several of the previously mentioned documents and they are heavily "redlined". I attempt to include the source in anything I do "redline" (I also attempt to include the source in anything I post on any forum). I'm in my second set on a couple of Assembly Manuals. I've already been told by several other Mustang owners that they want my manuals and other documents if and when. The input used to "redline" those documents came from many sources, including this forum. Without those previously mentioned documents, you are reduced to brown paper bag and Crayola, which I find unacceptable. Those previously mentioned documents also provide a common reference point whether they are right, wrong or indifferent. I'm concentrating on my car years, my body style and my assembly plant. That's the best I can do. If you come up with another method, I, for one, will give it a try.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 04:51:43 PM »
Pardon me, I'm going to drift off topic. This forum is a tremendous source of information. In addition to thoroughly-reasearched knowledge from people with years of first-hand observation, whatever is posted is essentially peer-reviewed. .......... How can all of this info be preserved so it is not lost someday?

Unfortunately nothing is perfect. Written guides and handbooks become out of date as does post on forums. Agree (and one of the reasons I prefer well shared forums) that peer review is essential and one of the reasons I participate

Websites don't last forever, nor do people. Is the site backed up in case of technical failure? Is there a plan to transfer control to a new caretaker in the event that Jeff decides to "retire"? Same goes for private collections (e.g. Jeff's photo collection).

Not sure from the technical side - would guess our host provides a back up of the site and information within.

As for the site - transfer from from the original owner to Charles and I took place in an effort to maintain the original intent and path. I would only guess that if needed we would make every effort to see that the same was done in the future when it becomes necessary again. Member participation and support goes along way from keeping this from becoming a burden and an rewarding effort for the two of us

This hobby works much like any human endeavor throughout time. Knowledge is passed from one generation to the next in one form or another. Through this site we're all attempting to share as much as we can, getting it down in "writing"  and passing it on. I would guess that the hobby along with our ability to enjoy these cars will outlast the general interest in them or how long they can remain used and in out lives.

As far as my information and "collection" of data and pictures a plan has been in place for many years on how it will be shared and passed on.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)