Author Topic: Factory Sticker for starter  (Read 3789 times)

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• 1964 1/2 K code coupe and 2022 GT500 HE
Factory Sticker for starter
« on: April 20, 2015, 12:42:05 PM »
Anyone know where this goes on the starter for a Jersey April '67 built car?
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Factory Sticker for starter
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 01:33:08 PM »
Anyone know where this goes on the starter for a Jersey April '67 built car?
No where. The early starters were ink stamped and no stickers. Your April built car had it's starter most likely metal stamped IMO. The transition was mid 67 on up for the metal stamp ID of the starters.  Others may have different opinion.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 01:37:04 PM »
FYI to add difficulty to the issue the metal stamp versions were date coded unlike the easily modified date ink stamped ones.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 06:10:20 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 01:46:26 PM »
Small block picture but big block one would be in the same location. The easy route besides applying the sticker would be to make a ink stamp of your sticker. The sticker is not correct when compared to original but how many people could tell? Or you could come up with original artwork for a stamp. Apply the ink stamp to your starter and forget about it. Otherwise start looking for that big block metal stamped date code correct big block starter .  Just some thoughts . 

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 01:49:11 PM »
I have a metal stamped BB starter but it is July 69 dated.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 05:58:52 PM »
No where. The early starters were ink stamped and no stickers. ......

+1   Latest small block starter I've seen with the ink stamp was dated Dec 66. And yes the stamps were dated - unlike the reproductions you often see or the decals :(

Hard to see the markings often but consider that every time we discuss this detail we educate more people (judges included) that will be looking for these details. Sort of the magazine article effect ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 06:12:31 PM »
+1   Latest small block starter I've seen with the ink stamp was dated Dec 66. And yes the stamps were dated - unlike the reproductions you often see or the decals :(

Hard to see the markings often but consider that every time we discuss this detail we educate more people (judges included) that will be looking for these details. Sort of the magazine article effect ;)
I amended my post to reflect what I meant. :)

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• 1964 1/2 K code coupe and 2022 GT500 HE
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 08:25:11 PM »
Thanks guys, yes I knew the sticker was a poor substitute for a stamp (like the ones they have for coils), but figured I could put that on since I had one and get the info on an ink or metal stamp and go on an Easter egg hunt to find or make it.
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 08:30:01 PM »
Thanks guys, yes I knew the sticker was a poor substitute for a stamp (like the ones they have for coils), but figured I could put that on since I had one and get the info on an ink or metal stamp and go on an Easter egg hunt to find or make it.

IMHO you would need to start a new design effort rather than starting with the decal. Think its only available with the Ford logo and you'll need an AUTOLITE logo.

Enough differences in the fonts and sizing for me to want to start over also
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 04:32:30 PM »

As an update - Did dig out a 67 starter today and found it ink stamped 7E18. So at least one later date though, from examples, they likely overlapped (ink or metal stamped) depending on supplier.

BTW the ink stamp was not the rebuilders AUTOLITE stamp style we see on some NOS ones floating around ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 10:18:51 PM »
I've been digging through a few starters I have and find I have two early barrels with no stamped in markings and the rest are stamped D2s with D2 noses.

After reading a number of posts and finally seeing this one it gives me hope that my SJ Hipo car (Mar 2) could use the ink stamp, the plain barrel and that I could copy Jeff's pic of the ink stamp (with a date of approx 7B).

Our, would the concours judges more likely view a stamp barrel as correct for a March build SJ car?

I'm headed to a Ford swap meet and need either a complete starter or just a nose.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 07:09:10 PM »
Our, would the concours judges more likely view a stamp barrel as correct for a March build SJ car?

Since it is correct one would hope so ;) Very hard to see sometimes on a big block but a small block is much easier.

Don't just copy the pictures I posted. Age and wear has erased many details you don't want missing on the finished product

PM sent
Jeff Speegle