Author Topic: Ford made power steering pump color  (Read 4377 times)

Offline Building 3

Ford made power steering pump color
« on: May 06, 2015, 04:05:34 PM »
Am I correct in saying that the 1965 Ford PS pumps were painted black but then for 1966 the paint color was changed to teal? If so, would it be possible that any of the black pumps could have been used in Dearborn production as late as December 1965? The reason I ask is that I have a Ford pump ( it is stamped with the Ford logo and the tag on it indicates a November build) and it is black. I bought the car in 1978 from the original owner. Certainly the pump could have been rebuilt at some time between 1965 and 1978 and painted black, but there is no evidence of teal paint under the black paint. Has anyone run across this situation before? Any opinions as to whether I should repaint  it teal for Concours judging or keep it black? Of course I would have no documentation for having a black pump. 
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Ford made power steering pump color
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 04:14:10 PM »
just remember it this way............ford blue............ford pumps were teal.........the thompson pump is black............the tag on the rear indicates which type. i believe both are acceptable for your application.
5F09C331248

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 07:54:22 PM »
just remember it this way............ford blue............ford pumps were teal.........the thompson pump is black............the tag on the rear indicates which type. i believe both are acceptable for your application.
You seemed to have confused the two. The Ford Thompson was the supplier for one (teal blue) and TRW was the other supplier (black) .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 08:52:40 PM »
yes i did bob....thanks for the correction.
5F09C331248

Offline Building 3

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 01:51:56 PM »
Thanks.  NPD Teal it is.  Now, for painting the pump, I assume Ford masked the opening to the snout  of the reservor . My question is: Does this mask line show when the cap is installed? So when the cap is on, can you see bare metal below it, and then the teal?  If so, about how much is showing of the bare metal? Thank You

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 04:52:41 PM »
Thanks.  NPD Teal it is.  Now, for painting the pump, I assume Ford masked the opening to the snout  of the reservor . My question is: Does this mask line show when the cap is installed? So when the cap is on, can you see bare metal below it, and then the teal?  If so, about how much is showing of the bare metal? Thank You
The pumps were painted after tag was installed including the front but not the shaft . The Ford Thompson (teal blue) pumps typically had a plug to cover the fill opening and then the cap was added later. The witness line is typically very thin at the top . The TRW pumps were painted the same but typically with the cap already installed and then painted the TRW black. The thumb pull handle should be painted and when you pull up you should see a distinct bare metal witness line from the installed dipstick when painted. I hope this helps.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 06:28:35 PM »
The pumps were painted after tag was installed including the front but not the shaft . The Ford Thompson (teal blue) pumps typically had a plug to cover the fill opening and then the cap was added later. The witness line is typically very thin at the top . The TRW pumps were painted the same but typically with the cap already installed and then painted the TRW black. The thumb pull handle should be painted and when you pull up you should see a distinct bare metal witness line from the installed dipstick when painted. I hope this helps.

Very helpful for me also, I need to do a Ford Thompson pump back to teal from black, having no signs of the teal any longer there.

On the return line, was it capped or masked? I seem to recall seeing ^^^all of what Bob mentioned as well as the whole nipple on the return hose NOT being painted too but not sure if there is any difference for TRW pumps & Ford Thompson pumps about that detail.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Building 3

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 06:50:32 PM »
Yes, this is very helpful.  I think I only have one question left and then I can start the painting:  For the Teal pump, can you see this very thin witness line with the cap on or not? Thanks!

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 09:15:51 PM »
Yes, this is very helpful.  I think I only have one question left and then I can start the painting:  For the Teal pump, can you see this very thin witness line with the cap on or not? Thanks!
Return line nipple no difference between MFG.  Since it is covered with a hose it doesn't matter if there was a difference. The witness line MFG on ether pump was not visible with the dipstick installed. FYI many times the thin witness line on the blue teal Ford Thompson pump neck was very small if you could even discern a line at all .