Author Topic: 1966 SJ Tire Pressure Decal Location  (Read 8651 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
1966 SJ Tire Pressure Decal Location
« on: June 07, 2015, 07:34:18 PM »
Question came up so while I went through the pictures and collected my data I thought I would share the results here also

Question was - Where does the tire pressure decal go on my 66 Shelby/Mustang? Of course we looked at the car's VIN and best guessed the time period for a best answer at this time.

Looks that the location may have changed somewhere between VINS #127xxx and #157xxx The latest I found attached to the glove box door and the earliest I found applied to the back of the glove box liner.

While we're there take notice of the emergency 4 way flasher switch bracket to the inner liner also. Just a bonus detail while we're in the area ;)

Can you pick out the glove box liner that has been replaced??  ::)

Hope this helps others

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
6R08A117xxx Tire Pressure

6R09A127xxx Tire Pressure

6R08A203xxx Tire Pressure

6R07C213xxx Tire Pressure

« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 07:10:58 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rockhouse66

Re: 1966 SJ Tire Pressure Decal Location
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 09:18:39 PM »
For some reason that I cannot recall, I thought the red line tire decal went on the back of the glove box and the regular one went on the glove box door?
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 11:38:32 PM »
For some reason that I cannot recall, I thought the red line tire decal went on the back of the glove box and the regular one went on the glove box door?

Have seen only a couple of cars that originally came with red line tires and if I recall correct those decals were on the door. Can't recall assembly plant or time period though
Jeff Speegle

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 01:06:38 AM »
I was looking at the rules just now for Shelbys in concours trailered/driven and it says either on inside of glove box door or in glove box back left corner.  So would the rules need to be updated based on the pics below showing them on the right?
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 01:13:07 AM »
..............  So would the rules need to be updated based on the pics below showing them on the right?

Depends on the organization.

- Might be able to get the printing changed on SAAC before the show.

- Not enough time and not really sure what sheets Mid-America is using this year

- For MCA it depends on how Jeff M is going to accept suggested changes  or if you have to show up at the meeting  then it might get changed depending on who attends but no changes would be made with the current administration on the fly like was done in past years when we discovered a likely mistake.

I would suggest that since at least some of the national judges for 66 do read this forum (SJ Mustangs and Shelbys) an allowance for the back right will possibly be made. I know I'm not going to deduct for it if found that way
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 01:19:49 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 01:15:17 AM »
MCA
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 01:22:00 AM »
Looks like that wording has been around for over a dozen years. Likely a detail that just got overlooked and transfer from sheet to sheet.

Could look further back but at this point doesn't really matter - might go back to the early 80's or even to the VMOA (CA)  sheets that were used as a foundation for the "modern" rules long ago
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 05:47:09 PM »
- might go back to the early 80's or even to the VMOA (CA) sheets that were used as a foundation for the "modern" rules long ago
Thanks for the plug.
6R09K121xxx has the sticker on the LH side of the glove box door. It's rather eerie as the upper right corner is lifted as in Jeff's first picture. I found no dual redline sticker, but I've had the car for only 19 years. It was originally equipped with dual redlines, the original spare sits in the trunk, unused.
Jim
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 06:01:58 PM by jwc66k »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 05:31:48 PM »

"Have seen only a couple of cars that originally came with red line tires and if I recall correct those decals were on the door."

Yes, The Redline Decals are usually located on the right side glovebox door when it is the down position.  It is usually placed in the area near the Glovebox Cable hold-down nub on the glovebox door.  Again, I'm with you, I do not remember plant specification, but that's where I remember it.. I may have pic somewhere... I'll look for it.

:o)

Tony K.
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 06:07:32 PM »
A little off thread but did find a picture of an original 65 unrestored K code Convertible - 5F08K364xxx, I took some pictures of a few months ago.

One decal - the red line one (still has original glove box liner)  On the glove box door to the left. Knew I had at least one from an original car :)

Jeff Speegle

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 09:18:51 PM »

Thanks Jeff... I'm used to seeing it on the other side...Never seen a Left side one before....especially an original Dearborn car!

Thanks for the pic Jeff!

:o)

Tony K.
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 12:44:19 AM »
Depends on the organization.

- Might be able to get the printing changed on SAAC before the show.

- Not enough time and not really sure what sheets Mid-America is using this year

- For MCA it depends on how Jeff M is going to accept suggested changes  or if you have to show up at the meeting  then it might get changed depending on who attends but no changes would be made with the current administration on the fly like was done in past years when we discovered a likely mistake.

I would suggest that since at least some of the national judges for 66 do read this forum (SJ Mustangs and Shelbys) an allowance for the back right will possibly be made. I know I'm not going to deduct for it if found that way
10-4
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 02:54:56 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 01:27:43 PM »
Can you pick out the glove box liner that has been replaced?? 

Which glove box liner was replaced?
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 03:13:17 PM »
Which glove box liner was replaced?

Which one - the second one from the top in my first post.

Owner reinstalled the 4 way flasher back in a spot other than original and liner does not have the opaque lens cover over the opening for the glove box light in the upper right
Jeff Speegle

Offline Morsel

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2016, 07:12:04 PM »
OK, so I was following this post doing some research on this sticker placement. My San Jose car vin is 164, so it's falling in-between what were talking about here. I also have the Dual Red Line tires, which I'm seeing this post from Jim on placement. As I was reading around the threads, I read that even though the red line sticker was placed where it is in your photo, that they sometimes still had the normal one in the back of the glove box, so two tire pressure stickers, this seems like bad information or is that true?

Thanks,

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior