Author Topic: 65 engine bay paint and color  (Read 2429 times)

Offline fjm

65 engine bay paint and color
« on: June 23, 2015, 04:34:46 PM »
I'm finishing my engine bay and want the finish to be as close to original as possible.  I'm a bit concerned by what choices I've read on Google and other help sites.  The car is a May 65 Dearborn build.  The engine bay is black but I can't determine if it's a satin or semi-gloss, but I'm thinking it's semi.   In the past I've used Kryon, Duplicolor, and Rustoleum on various projects.  Rustoleum semi-gloss black has been good before but it might not be good for the engine bay because it might be a bit too shiney.  Can someone tell me what finish it is supposed it be and a good paint to use?  Thanks.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: 65 engine bay paint and color
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 09:24:05 PM »
Satin is generally the preferred description. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 09:36:43 PM »
Are your only considering rattle cans to do the job?

Recently used Hot Rod Black - legal in most US regions, catalyzed paint shot from a gun. Easy to touch up with SEMS Trim Black.

Suppose you already tried the search feature here - lost of owner experiences

Just an example

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=1496.msg7560#msg7560

« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 04:42:57 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline fjm

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 02:09:56 AM »
Didn't mention that the entire clip has been painted with what I think is a satin POR-15.  It has knicks and scrapes I'd like to hide and don't mind redoing the whole area with the correct finish.  I would use 'rattle' cans but am not sure which to use, satin or semi, and which is the better brand.  I've noticed that there seem to be different levels of sheen to semi-gloss and don't want to end up with something that wouldn't have been as on the car when it left Dearborn.  Fer sure it's not a critical item and the car won't be concours in the end anyway, but I am trying to make it as close to concours as I can do myself.  Your input helps a lot. 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 02:24:21 AM »
Didn't mention that the entire clip has been painted with what I think is a satin POR-15.  It has knicks and scrapes I'd like to hide and don't mind redoing the whole area with the correct finish.  I would use 'rattle' cans but am not sure which to use, satin or semi, and which is the better brand.

Good luck with getting anything to stick to the POR-15 - I would strip especially considering what you described - Might be tough to get it to come off now.

I've noticed that there seem to be different levels of sheen to semi-gloss and don't want to end up with something that wouldn't have been as on the car when it left Dearborn.  Fer sure it's not a critical item and the car won't be concours in the end anyway, but I am trying to make it as close to concours as I can do myself.  Your input helps a lot.

In my experience nothing in a car will hold up for very long - maybe someone has different experiences. Have tried Krylon (when it was good paint) and Eastwood (didn't like the finish)  So I have tried

Good luck
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)