Author Topic: Front and Rear Shock Pics  (Read 3878 times)

Offline DM_1964

Front and Rear Shock Pics
« on: August 05, 2015, 12:38:24 AM »
Anyone have pics of markings for both front and rear shocks off an early 64.5?
I know I'll probably never come across finding a pair so looking at options on how I can replicate the markings.
A close up of the markings and full shot of the shocks would be ideal but I may be able to work out positioning of the markings from other pics I have. Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Dom
64 1/2 Caspian Blue Convertible - Dearborn

Offline DM_1964

Re: Front and Rear Shock Pics
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 10:54:53 PM »
Jeff, have you got any pics among your stash?
Regards,
Dom

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 08:16:59 PM »
Nothing from that early and there is likely 3-6 different shock markings (colors used) based on the specific shock and application

If you could figure out what shock was used then we might be able to cross reference that number with a picture or two of shocks where the number was visible. Unfortunately the buildsheets aren't any help :(
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline goumoun

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 08:51:55 AM »
Coupe scheduled date 15 Dec 64 in Dearborn. I believe these are original front shock absorbers considering how dirty they were before cleaning. The car has 40000 miles and was parked since 1968 or so. Also OEM parts were very difficult to find in France, so replacement absorbers would usually be another brand.
I find many paint marks everywhere on the car as almost nothing has been replaced, but shock absorbers show no paint mark at all. See pictures attached. There is 57 stamped on the top

See also the rear shock aborbers. One side is Autolite the other side is a Ford. They seem to be adjustable. There are alignement mark like arrows on the lower part to align with the upper part. Three setting are stamped Firm Normal Soft. Could be these were for Export as part of the handling package? No paint mark either. Note the kind of rubber vibration dampener on the lower parts. I have seen these on illustration but never for real.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 09:04:10 AM by goumoun »
65A  K  25  15M  91  1  6
5F07A372xxx

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 02:23:40 PM »
Fronts appear to be to be aftermarket. The markings on the main body and at the top end all look similar to shocks sold aftermarket at the time. Normally one would expect that the fronts would match the rears in an original application.

The rears are marked like the 66-67 Adjustable Gabriels used on Shelbys and some export cars though the bottom of each has an extra tube I've never seen installed on any - have had a number of sets. Maybe its something that was added by the dealer or aftermarket. Other than protecting the bottom of the shock can't see a benefit to using those liners

Interesting that they are both painted semi-gloss black. Is your car a pretty late (in the production year) 66 built in NJ? Seen a number of odd things done with export shocks - once got a chance to see a set of Koni's that were marked/stamped with the FoMoCo oval  :o

Thanks for sharing - guess your car is a true export car rather than just a "exported" one ;)

Interesting
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 04:21:06 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline goumoun

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 04:49:58 AM »
Yes this is a true export car assembled in Dearborn on Dec 15 1964. The assembly of Export model was transferred from Dearborn to NJ in Feb-March 65. As far as I know, starting of assembly of Export cars was October 64 in Dearborn. Then NJ assembly made more sense as this is much closer to the NYC port from were they were shipped to Europe.

See dataplate in door and the Ford France one in left fender.

Many parts of the GT350 are coming from the Export models so adjustable shock absobers make sense.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 05:03:18 AM by goumoun »
65A  K  25  15M  91  1  6
5F07A372xxx

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 03:10:29 AM »
If you could figure out what shock was used then we might be able to cross reference that number with a picture or two of shocks where the number was visible. Unfortunately the buildsheets aren't any help :(
Perhaps you might be best to advise Jeff, the car was a Convertible (power top), no AC, power steering, Automatic and a 289, I guess they're the major components that would added to weighting to determine which shock was used.
Regards,
Dom

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 06:50:13 PM »
The best I can offer at the moment. Specific part number would be different as would date but this is the general layout for the shocks

Front top - bottom rear (from a prior posting)

Jeff Speegle

Offline GT500KR

• Charlie Ping
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 09:50:46 AM »
The best I can offer at the moment. Specific part number would be different as would date but this is the general layout for the shocks

Front top - bottom rear (from a prior posting)

So, you would NOT expect to see "Autolite" but rather the "FoMoCo" oval logo on an original 64.5 or early 65 mustang?
Current Project:
64.5 Black DB Cpe
5F07D1131XX  4/14/64

The stable:
65 Ivy Green Coupe 4SPD
68 Candy Apple Red GT500KR 4SPD FB
70 Grabber Blue Boss 429
86 Jalapeño Red GT  5SPD
91 Emerald Green Saleen Conv. 5SPD
03 Sonic Blue Cobra Conv.
07 Black GT500 Cp

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 10:37:44 AM »
64.5 is most typical to see FoMoCo, but 65 either would be acceptable, although there is no clear cut-over.  Seems that the FoMoCo shocks usually have the Gabriel insignia whereas Autolite do not. 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 10:37:58 AM »
The top shock photo is the original one on my 4500 mile Aug 64 car so I would think Fomoco.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline GT500KR

• Charlie Ping
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 10:47:55 AM »
64.5 is most typical to see FoMoCo, but 65 either would be acceptable, although there is no clear cut-over.  Seems that the FoMoCo shocks usually have the Gabriel insignia whereas Autolite do not.

I meant to ask what the "G" stood for, thanks for clarifying.
Current Project:
64.5 Black DB Cpe
5F07D1131XX  4/14/64

The stable:
65 Ivy Green Coupe 4SPD
68 Candy Apple Red GT500KR 4SPD FB
70 Grabber Blue Boss 429
86 Jalapeño Red GT  5SPD
91 Emerald Green Saleen Conv. 5SPD
03 Sonic Blue Cobra Conv.
07 Black GT500 Cp

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 10:49:39 AM »
Yes this is a true export car assembled in Dearborn on Dec 15 1964. The assembly of Export model was transferred from Dearborn to NJ in Feb-March 65. As far as I know, starting of assembly of Export cars was October 64 in Dearborn. Then NJ assembly made more sense as this is much closer to the NYC port from were they were shipped to Europe.

Do you know for a fact that the car was sent to the Metuchen NJ plant, or just somewhere in NJ.  The reason I ask is twofold:

1. It would not make sense to assemble a car at assembly plant F and send to assembly plant T for assembly.  Unless plant T had an offshoot area for preparing all models of cars for exportation.

2. In 1986-87 I did some design work for Ford for Crown Vic's being exported to Saudi Arabia.  The volume was low (about 2000 hand built units) and the parts were shipped to some location in New Jersey where they were prepped to meet all of the requirements for Saudi Arabia.

The point is that many types of cars were and are exported, not just Mustangs.  New Jersey appeared to be the hub of activity for this function.  I'll probably make a few phone calls to find out more about this.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 12:34:42 PM »
Do you know for a fact that the car was sent to the Metuchen NJ plant, or just somewhere in NJ.  The reason I ask is twofold:

1. It would not make sense to assemble a car at assembly plant F and send to assembly plant T for assembly.  Unless plant T had an offshoot area for preparing all models of cars for exportation.

2. In 1986-87 I did some design work for Ford for Crown Vic's being exported to Saudi Arabia.  The volume was low (about 2000 hand built units) and the parts were shipped to some location in New Jersey where they were prepped to meet all of the requirements for Saudi Arabia.

The point is that many types of cars were and are exported, not just Mustangs.  New Jersey appeared to be the hub of activity for this function.  I'll probably make a few phone calls to find out more about this.
Read the post you commented on again. It says that assembly of exports was transferred to Metuchen in Feb-Mar 65, not a specific car started in Dearborn and finished in Metuchen.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 02:55:19 PM »
Jim,

I read:

1. The car was assembled in Dearborn
2. The assembled car was transferred from Dearborn to NJ
3. The NJ assembly...did stuff
4. The car was shipped from NYC port to Euroope

My point is that #3 only makes sense if the work performed in NJ was only the specialized export type stuff, which is probably what the post intended to say.

When I first read it, my first thought was that that the poster was saying that the car was partially assembled in Dearborn, then finished in NJ.  This is probably just a case of reading into it too much.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660