Author Topic: Paint line between engine compartment black and the floorpan primer  (Read 3062 times)

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
I was wondering where the black for the engine compartment ends and the red oxide primer starts for the floor pan?

I have a 1967 GTA S Code Dec 1966 built in San Jose

Thanks,

Travis
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 03:40:12 PM by J_Speegle »
Travis Waters

Mine -
1967 Mustang GTA S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Dec. 13, 1966 (Thermactor)

Daddy / Daughter Project -
1967 Mustang S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Sept. 9, 1966

Offline brennancarey

Re: Black paint for engine compartment and red oxide primer for pan
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 03:12:28 AM »
Me too...

Seems we are restoring very similar dated cars.

Except mine is a Dearborn car. 1967 FB GTA S Code. 28 Dec 1966 built.

Brennan
67 GTA 390 Fastback
Dark Moss Green
Dearborn
Build Date 12/28/66

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 01:08:57 AM »
As mentioned in the general paint area to my knowledge no one has formulated the front nor the rear red oxide for a Dec 66 San Jose floor color red oxide

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=12466.msg75742;boardseen#new
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 11:37:50 PM »
I was wondering on this thread where the paint line is. At what point in the undercarrage where the black stops from the engine compartment and the red oxide primer starts for the floor pan.

Thanks
Travis
Travis Waters

Mine -

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 01:35:29 AM »
I was wondering on this thread where the paint line is. At what point in the undercarrage where the black stops from the engine compartment and the red oxide primer starts for the floor pan.

Thanks
Travis
It varied . Of course the red oxide was applied first and the black was applied last. It depended on how far the painter reached his gun painting the firewall engine compartment black. There was not a distinct line but there was a faded line.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Paint line between engine compartment black and the floorpan primer
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 10:46:26 AM »
NOT an "S-Code", but should be close to the same, my 11/2/66 San Jose engine bay was painted as such:

* Cowl Area ~Fading to the red oxide sealer/primer (salmon-colored) a few inched below the transition to the trans tunnel and no black or very little black by the time you get to the crossmember for the transmission.

* Torque Box, drivers side ~Down to the leading edge corner of the torque box and over onto the side of the frame rail (rail going under the floor pan) about even to where the angled portion of the floor pan meets up with the floor pan that is typically horizontal of a car sitting on its wheels. This black oversprays a little rearwards at that area (as Bob mentioned, no distinct line)

* Right side (mine is coupe, no torque box) ~Sprayed rearwards towards where the angled floorpan reaches the horizontal floorpan, a transition very close to this point (some red seen along the angled floor so the black did not go all the way down

* Bottom side of frame rails and cross braces  ~Red Oxide primer/sealer (salmon colored)

This above is going by memory, I have pictures I can provide but I'm not sure I can easily find them. The pictures are posted in another thread of my example. If I can locate them easily enough, I will link to the thread. It might be a while, later today before I can search...I have other plans for the day at this point in time.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 11:46:02 AM »
I suggest painting the engine compartment with the chassis (devoid of hang on parts) elevated supported by the same jeg holes the factory used . This has been discussed before and a search should turn up other threads and also in the library. Since you focused specifically on the floor pan transition I will limit comment to that. While painting the engine compartment and getting to the firewall (which should be done first IMO), paint from ether side of course to get proper coverage. Reach as far down into the engine compartment side of the aprons as it takes to get good coverage of the firewall. The floorpan transitions will take care of themselves. Different line painters will have slightly different painting techniques so there is not just one way. It is very hard to mess up the transition if you paint it like the assemblyline did it . With that said if you don't do it the assemblyline way it will be very hard to duplicate likely believable spray patterns for the transitions IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 04:15:26 PM »

Adding to the other great responses - it depended on the worker, their age (ability to bend further than another, their height and other factors)

There is no right or wrong - more of a range - between  here are there, typically as to where the black from the engine compartment faded away at the bottom of the firewall and frame rails visible in the engine compartment.

Also we ofen clean at least 70% or more of the black misty overspray from the lower section of the firewall through our cleaning and scrubbing - looking for it ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 08:44:47 PM »
I found that thread with some underbody shots of my 11/2/66 built SJ coupe:

Only two of the pictures within the thread I mentioned earlier sort of answer my (above) description of the transition from cowl, under the hood, through the transmission tunner to the crossmember reinforcement. A few other pictures might help you see that my example (several weeks away from your build date) that the underside of the engine areas, frame rails etc, didn't get painted black so this demonstrates a lot of what Jeff and Bob both have said....coverage varies from car to car, perhaps worker to worker and whether or not it was a Monday job or a Friday job ;) Sometimes, workers have been known to go to lunch and have a "hydraulic lunch" so coverage of the black engine bay paint varies a lot!  :o

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=9184.msg53880#msg53880
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 08:48:06 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 10:38:45 PM »
Thanks alot!!!!! this was alot of help!!!

Thans everyone,

Travis
Travis Waters

Mine -