Author Topic: '65 Palomino Interior Questions  (Read 15194 times)

Offline drummingrocks

'65 Palomino Interior Questions
« on: June 09, 2010, 09:43:42 PM »
I've got a '65 Mustang that came with Palomino standard interior (Code 29).  I redid the interior a few years ago, but at the time, I couldn't find any decent pictures of this interior.  After browsing around, I've seen a few more Palomino interiors, and I'm afraid I've got some of my interior items painted the wrong color.  Can someone verify the original colors for this interior?  And pictures would be even better!

As of right now, my seats, door panels, and kick panels are light palomino (a tan color).  The carpet, package tray, rear quarter panels, doors, dash, steering column, center console, and A-pillars are all painted medium palomino (a dark chocolate brown).

According to other cars I've seen, however, my center console and the metal portion of the dash should be light palomino.  I'm not sure of the original color of the package tray.

Any information is appreciated!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 09:54:16 PM by drummingrocks »
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline drummingrocks

Re: '65 Palomino Interior Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 09:45:18 PM »
Also, can someone help me out with the original color of the seatbelts?  The originals were long gone when I bought the car, and I'm not sure if they should be dark brown or light brown.  Thanks!

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 09:23:17 AM »
'65 Palomino interior is probably one of the toughest interior colors to get right.  The paints and parts available that are "so-called" sadly miss the mark in many respects.  Here are some pics of Mike Murray's 4k original mile unrestored coupe.  If you need seat belts, I have a mint set of fronts in the right color.

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 10:46:45 AM »
Charles,  thanks for the pictures!  I remember that car from the 45th; if I can find my camera, I remember taking a ton of pictures of it for future reference.

I'm still at a loss at how to match the original Medium Palomino.  Like you said, the "exact match" spray paint sold by Mustang vendors isn't even close.  I can pull back a section of the windshield weatherstrip, and behind is the original medium palomino paint that the factory applied.  My guess is the windshield and the rubber have been with the car since day one--or at least no one ever pulled the windshield when painting the interior.

I even had a local paint store mix up a batch of paint according to the original Ford color code, but the paint I got is several shades too dark.

Any ideas on what to do next?  This didn't bother me until I started realizing how far off my interior color really is, but now it's driving me crazy!

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 10:56:26 AM »
The only thing I would suggest is to find the old paint codes and have some mixed up.  You might have to do some tinting to get it exact.

BTW, have the seat belts, will send some pics along later today.

Offline rodster

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 11:39:04 PM »

Wow, great pictures and it looks like a real nice car. 4K original car!! :o  Where was it built?

Would the pony interior share the same colors?

Thanks.
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 11:46:17 PM »
It's a very early Dearborn alternator car.  Believe production was in August of '64.

Offline russgoodman

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 12:19:54 AM »
I know I'm digging up a year-old thread but did anyone happen to save these pics for reference - all I'm seeing is red x's and the link on VMF goes to a 404 error.

If Charles or anyone else has copies that they could post I would appreciate it. Mainly trying to match the factory package tray color.
65 Coupe 5F07C627703
Sch build date 2-9-1965
Wimbledon White (M) w/ standard palomino buckets (29), 289 2V, C4
53K original miles

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 09:40:15 AM »
Russ,  I don't have the exact pictures Charles took, but I was also at the same show and got a bunch of shots of the same car.  Let me see what I can find if for some reason Charles doesn't still have his set.

Offline Sluggo

• Dark Overlord
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 11:37:03 PM »
I know I'm digging up a year-old thread but did anyone happen to save these pics for reference - all I'm seeing is red x's and the link on VMF goes to a 404 error.

If Charles or anyone else has copies that they could post I would appreciate it. Mainly trying to match the factory package tray color.

Nothing wrong with digging up old stuff.

I'm looking into this problem. It's possible the older attachments were corrupted when transferring files to the new server.

Hopefully they can be restored. There is some good info in them.
MCA 55330 | 69 Mach1 | 427 Stroker | 29 Model A Murray Town Car | 4 Banger

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 09:16:43 PM »
The old thread referenced was on VMF, not StangFix.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline MattDoscher

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 03:27:43 PM »
drummingrocks,

Take a look at these pictures of my palomino interior '65 coupe. 

http://s1190.photobucket.com/albums/z455/MattDoscher/my%20Palomino%20interior/

This restoration was completed by Legendary Motorcar in Canada.  They used 2 versions/shades of palomino for my interior.

PPG Deltron 2000, PPG code 22520, light palomino with 923-57 clear and 100g of 522-322 added to can.

PPG Deltron 2000, PPG code 22519, medium palomino with 923-57 clear and 100g of 522-322 added to can.

The light palomino covers the majority of the metal interior (dash, doors, etc.) and the medium palomino is on the dash pad.  I believe they used light palomino on the package tray as well.  The carpet is light saddle, visors are saddle, headliner is saddle, and the seatbelts are saddle.

Hope this helps,

Matt
Matt Doscher

1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 03:40:56 PM »
Here's the pics that I think are missing above:

Offline russgoodman

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 06:12:58 PM »
Thank you Charles for re-posting those. I have them saved for reference now. My interior is the exact same standard palomino as the pics down to the unique early production items. My only question would be if anyone can remember if the package tray was the darker palomino or the light palomino. I sprayed mine with the dark 10 years ago but I think it was supposed to be light to match the seats closer. I have also learned that I did the wrong side and need to turn it over with the rough side up. Thanks!
65 Coupe 5F07C627703
Sch build date 2-9-1965
Wimbledon White (M) w/ standard palomino buckets (29), 289 2V, C4
53K original miles

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 10:21:15 PM »
The package tray usually matches the seat color, maybe a tad darker.