Author Topic: Rocker molding clips: both types at the fender?  (Read 2558 times)

Offline Angela

Rocker molding clips: both types at the fender?
« on: June 01, 2016, 02:33:58 PM »
While attempting to install my rocker panel moldings I noticed that my passenger side fender has two holes drilled for the rectangular clips -and- the fender has a hole drilled for the front triangular clip/bolt. However, the driver's side fender does NOT have the two holes for the rectangular clip.... it only has the hole for the triangular clip/bolt. I triple checked to confirm there is no evidence on the back-side of the fender such that holes were drilled for the rectangular clip.

So, my question is whether or not it is common that the factory would use both clip types at the fender. I am not sure whether or not I should drill holes for the rectangular clip, or if I should just use the triangular clip at the very front of the rocker molding.

While I'm asking questions... has anyone tried "shimming" the clips a little bit (~1/32") away from the body so that the molding doesn't rub and scrape the paint? It looks like I could use thin plastic washers behind the clips before riveting them into place.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Rocker molding clips: both types at the fender?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 03:43:35 PM »
So, my question is whether or not it is common that the factory would use both clip types at the fender. I am not sure whether or not I should drill holes for the rectangular clip, or if I should just use the triangular clip at the very front of the rocker molding.

IMHO no. Would guess at this point that the fender has been replaced at some point (one with the non-fender mounting fixture)

I would use the triangular clip on both sides
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Angela

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 03:58:15 PM »
Thanks Jeff. You're suggesting I NOT use the rectangular clip at the fender, just the triangular one. For what it's worth, both fenders are original to the car....stamping dates match exactly and both have ink PNs are present inside the wheel well area.

Has anyone else seen holes drilled in their fenders for the rectangular clips?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 04:37:31 PM »
Thanks Jeff. You're suggesting I NOT use the rectangular clip at the fender, just the triangular one. For what it's worth, both fenders are original to the car....stamping dates match exactly and both have ink PNs are present inside the wheel well area.

Both of your fenders have the yellow part number on the inside. Often a big indicator of replaced fenders IMHO rather than originals Might want to look for what might be left of the shipping label on the surface also. Been my experience dates rarely match on both sides. 

Have fender examples somewhere - but these replacement/NOS panel examples were handy

« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 05:10:02 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 12:30:07 AM »
Angela : We had quite a long drawn out thread a few months ago on placement of the Rocker Molding Clips. Unfortunately, we did not get many responses; but what we did get was interesting. First, the rectangular "clips" are actually designated "retainers, and the triangular piece at the front of the fender is a "clip". That being said, on 2 Fastbacks, on which the Rocker Moldings are Standard, both only had 5 rectangular retainers, with none on the front fender (only the triangular clip). On one GT Coupe with the Optional Rocker Moldings, it had 6 rectangular retainers with one on the front fender along with the triangular clip. And on one '67 Convertible (mine) with documented Factory Optioned Rocker Panel Moldings, it had 7 retainers, with 2 on the front fender along with the triangular clip.

I have attached a couple of drawings which summarize the location of the retainers and clips for the Coupe and Convertible (we did not get any dimensions for the Fastbacks), as well as a picture of the convertible showing the retainers (if you zoom in).

While 4 cars hardly make this hard and fast, it is something to help confuse things.

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline Angela

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 02:34:02 PM »
Jeff, It's my understanding that you surely know your stuff.... so I respect your comment and will give it some serious thought. That said, the PNs I found on my fenders, to the best of my understanding, are not the service PNs similar to the examples you provided Rather, they're the assembly line or engineering PNs. Every bit of info I have collected for this particular car (15yrs of data collection), including the photos and phone discussion I've had with you, tells me the fenders are the original pair. I am, however, human enough to admit I don't know everything and could certainly be wrong. If someone before me replaced these fenders, they must have gone through a lot of work to find a pair with the same stamping date (matching all of the other dates on this car's sheet metal within one week) -and- they did so with a pair of fenders having only one coat of paint on them, the same color as the rest of the car (I stripped the car to bare metal myself).

Regardless, I am very interested in Bob's comment. It appears I missed a thread on this subject. Bob, are you saying that in situations where the rocker moldings were options, there is evidence that in those cases there were rectangular retainers were added to the fenders?

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 04:36:04 PM »
Angela : Yes, that is exactly what I am saying; however, that is based only on Richard's (gtasanjose) Coupe, and my Convertible, both confirmed documented Factory Options as noted in Marti Reports. The Master Parts Catalog Illustrations show one retainer on the front fender for the Coupes and Convertibles, and none on the front fender on the Fastback. However, based on my Convertible, we know that it is not always the case (as with many things in the MPC's).
I think you would find this thread "Rocker Molding Panels 1967" that was started on February 15 of this year of interest (5 pages worth).

Bob

MCA 04909

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 08:22:51 PM »
Angela : Yes, that is exactly what I am saying; however, that is based only on Richard's (gtasanjose) Coupe, and my Convertible, both confirmed documented Factory Options as noted in Marti Reports. The Master Parts Catalog Illustrations show one retainer on the front fender for the Coupes and Convertibles, and none on the front fender on the Fastback. However, based on my Convertible, we know that it is not always the case (as with many things in the MPC's).
I think you would find this thread "Rocker Molding Panels 1967" that was started on February 15 of this year of interest (5 pages worth).

Bob- will look at the other thread and will take the time to go through my pictures this week to see if I could add anything that that discussion.

Going to be tough since yard carw will often be missing the front fenders and non- yard cars will often have the rocker panels in the wa. Maybe that's why I didn't participate earlier :( or maybe 5 pages was too much reading - again :(

Will check and post what I've got this week and maybe you can then provide a post that sort of wraps up what you came up with to that point.  Just a thought
Jeff Speegle

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 01:26:06 AM »
Jeff : Sounds good. I'll be glad to "sum it up".

Bob
MCA 04909

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 06:34:58 PM »
Jeff : Sounds good. I'll be glad to "sum it up".

Will post them over in the big thread

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=13049.60
Jeff Speegle

Offline Angela

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 12:45:48 PM »
I'm looking for some suggestions concerning the front clips on my original & NOS rocker moldings. See attached photos

The tiny plastic "tabs" are broken off of my NOS front clips (see photo). I believe these tabs are there to protect the paint, hence my concern that they are missing from my clips. I figure others may have encountered the same issue -and I'm wondering what folks have done in their situation.

Here are my questions:
(1) Is it common to use NOS front clips, with or without the tabs intact? -OR, is it wise to use repro clips due to the fact that these parts are plastic and original plastic may be brittle from age???
(2) If use of the NOS clips is recommended, does anyone have suggestions as to how I can protect my paint given that the tabs highlighted in these photos are broken? In one photo I have experimented with some 0.015" thick clear film, backed with a 3M adhesive. That's the best idea I have come up with thus far.
(3) If it is recommended to use the new, repro clips, are there any tips/tricks/modifications I should be aware of when using these specific repro clips? I bought the repro clips from NPD, yet I have no idea who actually made them.