Author Topic: Starter Cable Routing From Solenoid - Fall 64 K Code Change  (Read 2233 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
As a result of chasing down some info for another thread I revisited the TSB (Technical Service Bulletins) and recalled that this one had not been shared before here. Figured it was time :)

TSB Article #158

Solenoid to Starter Routing on 289 Hypos.

In 65 built before Oct. 15, 64. The routing of this cable can causing damage to cable and battery.  Incorrect (prior) routing uses the upper right shock tower clip. The correct (new and improved) route uses the retainer directly below the solenoid

Hope this helps others or explains what some may have discovered or found on original cars

« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 05:48:26 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

Re: Starter Cable Routing From Solenoid - Fall 64 K Code Change
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 08:49:01 PM »
The 64 Mustang Electrical Assembly Manual (AM0003) page 24 shows the "corrected" routing. It's difficult to read, but the page seems to be dated 7 15 64. Both the 65 and 66 electrical manuals agree with the TSB change. (The I-6 is routed thru a cable strap on the shock tower but further back than the one shown in the TSB.)
Also of note, the 64 V-8 starter cable, C4ZF-14431-A (or -B) has one bracket attached to the right rear motor mount bolt, the 65 cable, C5ZF-14431-A (or -B) has two brackets, one at each bolt, and the 66 cable, C6DF-14431-A uses one bracket attached to the right front bolt. My 66 San Jose Oct 18, 65 build used the 65 cable. It was the original (made in Canada). I assume it was a matter of using up stock.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Starter Cable Routing From Solenoid - Fall 64 K Code Change
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 03:36:11 PM »
The 64 Mustang Electrical Assembly Manual (AM0003) page 24 shows the "corrected" routing. It's difficult to read, but the page seems to be dated 7 15 64. .............

Thanks - another reason IMHO to question the assembly manual details and to always look for other info to back details listed there with other examples to get a full idea of what was shown and what was actually a practice
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)