Author Topic: 1967-68 Rocker Panel Moldings - Summary  (Read 7328 times)

Offline 196667Bob

1967-68 Rocker Panel Moldings - Summary
« on: July 16, 2016, 03:12:12 PM »
Recently, Jeff asked me to summarize the thread “Rocker Molding Panels 1967” which was started on February 15, by “Ralf”. This thread ended up with 5 pages of “Replies”. As happens many times when there is this much of information furnished, the “bottom line” information gets “lost” in the mix. Therefore, the purpose of this Thread is to sort out the “Final Results” of the information presented into a more concise and usable form.
In addition, I have also included information from the Thread started by “Angela” on June 2, 2016, titled “1967-68 Rocker Panel Clips”, as that information is applicable to include with “Ralf’s” original Thread.

GENERAL

Before getting into the “Details”, it is important to get nomenclature and applications straight. The correct name for the trim pieces in question, according to Ford publications, is “Rocker Panel Moldings”. The attaching pieces for these moldings that were pop-riveted to the Rocker Panel and the bottom of the Front Fender are “Retainers”, and the attaching part at the front of the bottom of the Front Fender (just rear of the front wheel well opening), is a “Clip”. The “Clip” comes crimped into the front of each Rocker Panel Molding, and as such, is considered part of the Rocker Panel Molding, and not part of the “Attaching Parts”.

In 1967, the Rocker Panel Moldings only came as “Standard Equipment” on the Fastbacks. For the Coupe and Convertible, they could be ordered with the car as a Factory Option (for $ 15.59 for the pair). Interestingly, the Rocker Panel Moldings were not listed in the 1967 Accessory Catalog, and thus not an “Official” 1967 Accessory or Dealer Option. However, like many of the Options that were available (such as Heavy Duty battery, Luggage Rack, Protection Group, Radios, etc.), these could be purchased from the Dealers’ Parts Department, and installed by the Owner, the Owners’ Auto Shop of choice, or by the Dealer.

For 1968, all Models came with the Rocker Panel Moldings (which carried the same Part Numbers as the 1967’s).

The purpose of Ralf’s original Post was to find out how to install the Rocker Panel Moldings on his 1967 GTA Convertible, which did not originally have the Moldings. Of course, the ensuing answers would also apply to cars which did originally have the Moldings, on which sheet metal (Rocker Panels or Fenders) is either rusted away, or on which new sheet metal had been installed, but attaching holes had not been transferred over.

As noted previously, this topic generated many Replies, which addressed Model differences, Plant differences, how to install, attaching parts (also brought up in Angela’s Post), Reproduction Rocker Panel Moldings, etc.

One of the major items addressed was the location/spacing of the Retainers and the Front Fender Clip. In order to resolve this, measurements were solicited from the readers. This was necessary because neither the 1967 nor 1960-68 Master Parts Catalogs, or the 1967 Body Assembly Manual give these dimensions. The Body Assembly Manual does have a note to “See Drwg. (C7ZB-16015-6-B) for size and locating dimensions…”. Of course, no one came up with this drawing.

Thus, responding dimensions had to be used. Unfortunately, the response was less than overwhelming. There was one 1967 Coupe (67gtasanjose), two Fastbacks (Fastback 2013 and 67gta289), and one Convertible (196667Bob). The Coupe and the two Fastbacks are from the San Jose Plant, and the Convertible from Dearborn. The Fastbacks of course originally came with the Rocker Panel Moldings as Standard Equipment, and the Coupe and Convertible both have the Rocker Panel Moldings as documented (by Marti Reports) Factory Options.
Initially, both Fastback Owners responded that theirs only had 5 Retainers, plus the one  Front Fender Clip on each side. However, later, both Owners advised me that on checking their original Fenders, each had a Retainer and a Clip on the lower part of the Front Fender, giving a total of 6 Retainers and one Clip on each side. Interestingly, the spacing dimensions reported by 67gtasanjose on his Coupe, and by Fastback2013 on his Fastback were almost identical. Also of interest, is that on the convertible, it has 5 Retainers on the Rocker Panel, and two Retainers plus a Clip on the bottom of the Front Fender (in addition, while no dimensions were supplied by ruppstang, he did have a picture of a Front Fender from a Convertible showing holes for 2 Retainers plus a hole for the stud for the front Clip).

While 3 sets of measurements is hardly a consensus of the 71,000 plus Fastbacks produced, and who knows how many Coupes and Convertibles ordered with Factory installed Rocker Panel Moldings in 1967, it is all we currently have to go by. Thus, until, and if, substantial differences can be documented, the measurements shown in the following “DETAILS” will be considered as “correct”. The “DETAILS” will also be considered as “correct for 1968.

DETAILS

The first 3 illustration drawings attached are from the Illustrations Section of the 1960-68 MPC, showing Exterior Trim of the Coupe, Fastback and Convertible (the 1968 Illustrations are virtually identical). Each of the illustrations shows 5 Retainers on the Rocker Panel, and one Retainer and one Clip on the bottom of the Front Fender. This agrees with the Coupe and the two Fastbacks that were investigated, as well as with all but one of the pictures furnished by Jeff late in Ralf’s original thread. It also does not agree with  the picture of the Convertible Front Fender furnished by ruppstang, or with the convertible that was measured. Thus, installation for Coupes and Fastbacks will have dimensions related to 6 Retainers plus one Clip, and installation  for Convertibles will have dimensions based on 7 Retainers plus one Clip.

INSTALLATION

In discussing the installation of the Rocker Panel Moldings, the consensus was that more important than number or location of the Retainers, was that the top of the molding, from just in front of the rear wheel well, forward to just behind the rear of the front wheel well, had to be in the same plane in order to avoid unsightly waves in the top of the Molding. In order to accomplish this, it is necessary that the Front Fender be installed in its final position before locating holes for the Retainer(s) and Clip.
67gtasanjose came up with the following procedure for establishing the location of the top of the Molding :

“ If it were me installing RPM on a car that has had a rocker panel replacement OR a car that did not come with the moldings, I would place a rocker panel molding into the correct "finished position", then, using a fine-tip "Sharpie" marker (or similar) for scribing that top line onto both the rocker panel and the fender of an already ASSEMBLED car…. The idea is to get the RPM aligned PARALLEL, barely below the corner edge of the rocker panel itself, this along the full length of the rocker panel. Keep in mind, it is not impossible for a RPM produced from a different time period or different manufacturer, for those moldings to be exactly identical. Using the measurements copied from another example COULD possibly cause an installer issues of fitment. Proper "installed positioning" would be far more important than matching those numbers precisely”.

The “barely below” noted above has been measured on several cars to be between 7 and 8 mm (9/32”-5/16”). Using one of these dimensions, it may be wise “to do a TEST on only ONE of the riveted clips TO VERIFY the best location to set (a second) the horizontal line of all 6 (7) of the top rivets…. Be careful and assume NOTHING before punching all of the holes in, ONE mistake hole would be bad enough so TEST, Test and double check before drilling all of your holes. I might do my "test hole" for one of the clips somewhere in the center of the molding, screw the clip (I would not rivet it) temporarily on using only the top hole, snap the molding on temporarily and see if it sits where you want it in relation to the top of the rocker panel. If it is off a little, you'll then know which way to adjust (up or down) make the correction and try again. Hopefully, you get it right first time, if not, you have only one mistake, fill the mistake hole (if you have one) with a body sealant and move on.
(NOTE: to prevent any scratching of your paint, I do think the initial "marker line" should be done with the front stud removed from the rocker molding, so the molding fits against the panels completely. Also a very good idea to have a 2nd set of hands for this to keep the long molding from shifting while scribing the line ~The stud gets installed after the hole for the stud gets drilled)”.
(Note : Italics and parentheses in the above three paragraphs are additions/clarifications of this Author to 67gtasanjose’s description).

Once the horizontal line for the top of the Rocker Panel Molding, and the horizontal line for the top rivets for the Retainers have been established, the locations of the six or seven Retainers can be marked, as well as the holes for the Front Clip attaching stud. To locate these, see the next five attached drawings (I-1 through I-5) attached.

A few comments on the “Installation Drawings” :

I-1) This is basically a “General” drawing showing the installation and parts of the Retainers and Clips. I have added an inset detail, “Rocker Panel Cross Section”, in order that there is no question as to what is referred to in the drawings as “Top of Rocker Panel. I have also revised the designation and Part Number from my original Reply to reflect a “Steel” Rivet, as shown in the 1967 Body Assembly Manual (interestingly, the “Exterior Molding Section of the Illustrations for the 1960-68 MPC shows these as Aluminum Pop Rivets, yet my NOS sets of “Attaching Parts” both include “Steel” Rivets as noted in the Body Assembly Manual. I have also added Part Numbers for the attaching stud with clip, and its nut (which is not shown). Finally, on this drawing, I have shown the hole for the Front Clip stud as “3/16” (5/16”)”. The reason for this is that the stud is a No. 10-24, which would normally require a 3/16” hole; that is if the measurements shown have been made precisely. On a Ford Instruction Sheet dated 1968, for installing 1967 Rocker Panel Moldings on a 1969 Mustang (please don’t ask why someone would want to do this) which was furnished by ruppstang, this hole is noted to be 0.31” (5/16”). Presumably, this is to compensate for dimensions being slightly off, or just to make it easier for installation. If it were me, and I felt comfortable with my dimensions, I would drill the 3/16” hole first, then, if the stud cannot “find” the hole easily, enlarge it to the 5/16” diameter.

I-2) This drawing shows dimensions for locating the Retainers and the Front Fender Clip once the “horizontal line” has been established. The “Notes” have been revised as shown in Red to reflect both Fastback owners’ follow-ups noting that their cars both had a total of 6 Retainers. Based on this, this Drawing is applicable to both Coupes and Fastbacks.

I-3) This is a detail of the locations of the holes for the Retainer and Front Fender Clip on the bottom of the Front Fender for Coupes and Fastbacks.

I-4) This drawing shows dimensions for locating the Retainers and the Front Fender Clip once the “horizontal line” has been established, for Convertibles.

I-5) This is a detail of the locations of the holes for the Retainers and Front Fender Clip on the bottom of the Front Fender for Convertibles.

As previously noted, the above dimensions should be applicable to both 1967’s and 1968’s.

ATTACHING PARTS

Finally, I will cover the Details of the “Attaching Parts”. As noted in Ralf’s original thread, the front Clips, Part Numbers C7ZB-6510183-A (RH) and C7ZB-6510182-B (LH), come crimped into the Rocker Panel Molding in NOS Service Parts, and as such, are not considered as included in the “Attaching Parts” (see first attached picture). Many times, these Clips are either crimped in “out of position”, or loosely to the point that they fall out. Thus, if you obtain an NOS molding, or are re-using your existing, you will want to be sure that the Front Clip is firmly crimped in the correct position in the Rocker Panel Molding.

I obtained both of my NOS moldings from my Ford Parts Department in the early 80’s. To me, it appears that these were actually made at different times, due to the packaging. One, had Ford logo stamped, brown Kraft paper on both sides, while the other had the Ford stamped, brown Kraft paper on one side, and is clear “shrink wrapped” plastic on the other. Both had “With Attaching Parts” stamped on one side of the Kraft paper. Inside of each was another sealed, white paper package that is stamped “One Kit SUBK-1622-K” (shown in next picture). Inside this package (I have actually only opened one to show the contents, but have no reason to believe that the second package is any different), are 6 nylon retainers (each with C7ZB-6510182-A cast into it);  12, 1/8” x 1-9/16”, steel Blind/Pop Rivets, Part # 375203-S100; 1- No. 10-24, zinc plated, stamped nut with washer with red sealer, Part # 354397-S100; and 1 retainer with a No. 10-24 stud, 7/8” long, with a black sponge washer, and a ½” x 7/8” spring steel metal tab attached, Part No. 380873-S100. This retainer is painted flat Olive Drab (see next pictures that show contents and close ups of each piece). Note that, as mentioned above, the Front Fender Clip that is shown in the picture that shows the total contents of the “Attaching Parts” package, was not included with the “Attaching Parts”, but is shown for reference only.

Hopefully this “Summary” will help those wanting to either add this Option to their 1967, or replace the Factory installed Option on their 1967 or Standard installation on their 1968 where original mounting holes are no longer present.

If any major differences are noted to what has been presented, please feel free to note them either by “Reply” or by PM.

I apologize for the extended length of this “Summary”, but felt that it was necessary in order to adequately describe the Rocker Panel Moldings themselves, their installation and their attaching parts.

Bob
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 05:35:10 AM by J_Speegle »
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1967-68 ROCKER PANEL MOLDINGS - SUMMARY
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 03:53:47 PM »
A "thank you" in the extreme is in order.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 05:19:56 PM »
Thanks Bob for the effort and time

For others this info will also be converted and printed/published in the Library as an article

Thanks again
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 06:03:56 PM »
You are both entirely welcome. I hope it proves beneficial to our current and future members of this forum. At least everything is a little more organized, and not quite as lengthy.

Bob

MCA 04909

Offline Ralf

• http://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 06:14:49 AM »
Great, Thx for your summary!
Very helpfull!
Ralf
1967 Convertible 289, C4 Automatic, Built Nov 30 1966, SJ, DSO75.
Pictures: https://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/mustang-1967-impressionen

Offline IndyFive-O

Re: 1967-68 Rocker Panel Moldings - Summary
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 09:32:02 AM »
"In 1967, the Rocker Panel Moldings only came as “Standard Equipment” on the Fastbacks. For the Coupe and Convertible, they could be ordered with the car as a Factory Option (for $ 15.59 for the pair)."

They were also part of the Sports Sprint Package on 67' Coupes.
1967 289 Coupe "Sports Sprint"
2007 GT/CS

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 03:35:43 AM »
IndyFive-O : Good info. I didn't know that. Do you have something we can document that with ? Marti Report; Brochure; Ad; Invoice; Or ?

Thanks,

Bob
MCA 04909

Offline IndyFive-O

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 09:16:25 PM »
Here is my Marti Report

Serial Number 7T01C208530
Built at Metuchen
Mustang Hardtop
289-2V Engine
T
C
DOOR DATA PLATE INFORMATION
108530th Ford vehicle scheduled for production at Metuchen
65A Mustang Hardtop
T Candyapple Red Paint, Ford #2008-A
2A Black Standard Bucket Seats
27B Scheduled For Build: February 27, 1967
28 Louisville Ordering District
1 3.00 Conventional Rear Axle
1 Three-Speed Manual Transmission
7T01C208530
65A T 2A 27B 28 1 1
ORDER TYPE BASIC OFF-STANDARD EQUIPMENT
DSO ITEM #: 4069
DEALER#: 28A006
SUMMERS-HERRMANN INC
905 S THIRD
LOUISVILLE KY 40203
Your vehicle was ordered with the following features:
Sports Sprint
Three-Speed Manual Transmission
F70-14 Wide Oval Tires
White Sidewall Nylon Tires
Rocker Panel Moldings
AM Radio
Wheel Covers
2007 GT/CS

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 10:33:27 PM »

Here is my Marti Report

Serial Number 7T01C208530
Built at Metuchen
Mustang Hardtop
289-2V Engine
T
C
DOOR DATA PLATE INFORMATION
108530th Ford vehicle scheduled for production at Metuchen
65A Mustang Hardtop
T Candyapple Red Paint, Ford #2008-A
2A Black Standard Bucket Seats
27B Scheduled For Build: February 27, 1967
28 Louisville Ordering District
1 3.00 Conventional Rear Axle
1 Three-Speed Manual Transmission
7T01C208530
65A T 2A 27B 28 1 1
ORDER TYPE BASIC OFF-STANDARD EQUIPMENT
DSO ITEM #: 4069
DEALER#: 28A006
SUMMERS-HERRMANN INC
905 S THIRD
LOUISVILLE KY 40203
Your vehicle was ordered with the following features:
Sports Sprint
Three-Speed Manual Transmission
F70-14 Wide Oval Tires
White Sidewall Nylon Tires
Rocker Panel Moldings
AM Radio
Wheel Covers

I'm not so sure I would qualify the statement made earlier that having a Sport Sprint package would across the board included Rocker Panel Moldings based just on this Marti Report. I haven't yet researched the claim that the Sport Sprint package DID NOT include the rocker panel moldings, but since it is listed seperately on your report, my suspicion is that is was not a STANDARD included item in the Sport Sprint package. We certainly can discuss this more to prove or disprove this notion.

Maybe a better idea to look at the 67 sales literature and dealer order forms to get a clearer picture of what the package included.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 10:41:13 PM »
Rocker molding were not part of the sport sprint package or any other package. They were only standard on fastbacks. Here is a page from my 67 options book that list RM as a separate option.

Offline IndyFive-O

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 11:42:01 PM »
I'm not here to start an argument but I believe the rocker panel mouldings were part of the Sports Sprint package in 1967. I bought my Sports Sprint a few years ago and did a lot of digging around trying to understand exactly what came with the package.
From what I have seen in literature and ads the Sport Sprint Included the following options on an otherwise "stripped down" base car:

http://barnfinds.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Sports-Sprint-Ad-630x853.jpg

http://mustangattitude.com/cgi-bin/showcarm.cgi?type=search&line=141711547445&pic=/1967/1967_00165_05

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/pahawi/P1020359.jpg

[urlhttp://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=843.0][/url]
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 11:53:11 PM by IndyFive-O »
2007 GT/CS

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 12:30:11 AM »
I have seen other dealer ads offering the RM as part of the Sports Sprint option. I owned a 67 sports sprint convertible and it's Marti report is like yours with the RM listed separately from the Sports Sprint option. It does not make sense that if the rocker moldings were part of the Sports Sprint option that they would be listed separately.
I am open to the possibility the RM were parts but will need more compelling Ford documentation.
Marty 

Offline IndyFive-O

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 07:54:02 AM »
Rocker molding were not part of the sport sprint package or any other package. They were only standard on fastbacks. Here is a page from my 67 options book that list RM as a separate option.

Does it list the Sports Sprint option in your options book?

All the sales literature I have been able to find consistently lists the RM's as part of the Sports Sprint package. Is there some documentation that shows otherwise?
2007 GT/CS

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 08:58:33 AM »
Does it list the Sports Sprint option in your options book?

All the sales literature I have been able to find consistently lists the RM's as part of the Sports Sprint package. Is there some documentation that shows otherwise?

Since the New Car Dealerships (employees) were in charge of placing inventory orders (read as NON-special orders), it is more likely (for such a minimum cost in the day), that the RPM's were generally ordered (a simple checkmark on an order form) in conjunction with the "Springtime Sales Promotion" Ford offered to dealerships to bolster the typical sluggish sales through the tax season and to help with giving buying incentives to any would-be summertime buyers. DEALERSHIPS (not Ford Motor Company) were in charge of the ads which circulated and COULD list whatever they wished to in such ads. This situation is the basis of what looks to be a simple difference of opinion over this detail of Rocker Moldings (on the Sprint package).

Please provide any FORD-printed documentation with your observations and when confirmed as generated by FORD (not a local newspaper), then your observations could gain merit. Until then, I will have to stay on the side of what has been understood to this date that ONLY fastbacks (except Shelby), came with Rocker Moldings as STANDARD part of the package.

Please, if you can provide the Ford material, do so.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline IndyFive-O

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016, 09:37:20 AM »
Since the New Car Dealerships (employees) were in charge of placing inventory orders (read as NON-special orders), it is more likely (for such a minimum cost in the day), that the RPM's were generally ordered (a simple checkmark on an order form) in conjunction with the "Springtime Sales Promotion" Ford offered to dealerships to bolster the typical sluggish sales through the tax season and to help with giving buying incentives to any would-be summertime buyers. DEALERSHIPS (not Ford Motor Company) were in charge of the ads which circulated and COULD list whatever they wished to in such ads. This situation is the basis of what looks to be a simple difference of opinion over this detail of Rocker Moldings (on the Sprint package).

Please provide any FORD-printed documentation with your observations and when confirmed as generated by FORD (not a local newspaper), then your observations could gain merit. Until then, I will have to stay on the side of what has been understood to this date that ONLY fastbacks (except Shelby), came with Rocker Moldings as STANDARD part of the package.

Please, if you can provide the Ford material, do so.

We know the Sports Sprint Package was offered by Ford, not just dealers. Your right, finding documentation and agreeing on what exactly this package includes is where the difference of opinion is.
In the interest of not hijacking what started as an outstanding, informative, thread about Rocker Panel Mouldings, lets just leave it at that.

I know there are other threads on this package, perhaps we should continue the discussion there.
2007 GT/CS