Author Topic: 66 GT Corral - OEM compared to Service Replacement  (Read 1197 times)

Offline sgl66

66 GT Corral - OEM compared to Service Replacement
« on: August 23, 2016, 10:50:22 PM »
I was looking at several GT Corral's I have and noticed some easy ways to identify a Ford replacement from what I believe are OEM. I bought the replacement in the mid 80's from Ford and the other two I picked up attached to OEM light bars so assuming they are OEM as well. It is usually difficult to tell OEM from replacement while bolted to a grille but there are a few obvious things on the corral. The easiest is probably the smooth transition edge on an OEM compared with the lip found on the service replacement. If your fingers will fit, a solid piece of metal for support on OEM compared to ribs on service replacement is another easy one. I have no clue how repro's today stack up.

If you have access to the back of the horse, FoMoCo logo makes it obvious for OEM.
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 66 GT Corral - OEM compared to Service Replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 12:18:11 AM »
Thanks for posting.  This is pretty typical and often overlooked.  Sometimes there are physical characteristics of the part that are different.  But, once installed on a car, hard to tell.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline gjz30075

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 05:25:36 AM »
I'm not clear with your bottom picture.   Which is the OEM and which is the service replacement?
Thanks
Greg Z

Offline sgl66

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 09:21:25 AM »
I'm not clear with your bottom picture.   Which is the OEM and which is the service replacement?
Thanks
OEM is top with "FoMoCo" logo above part number. The service part has the "Ford" logo located under part number.
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65