Author Topic: 66 SJ Running Change Survey Thread - Battery Shield  (Read 7931 times)

Offline 196667Bob

Re: 66 SJ Running Change Survey Thread - Battery Shield
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2020, 08:12:11 PM »
I don't think the battery is a factory type  :)
Jim

Maybe that was the cause ?? By the way, I got a charge out of your comment. It was a very electrifying experience - especially since my wife was alone driving it when it started to overheat. While she was at a gas station calling me (pre-cell phone of course), she saw smoke and flames coming from under the hood. Luckily, the Fire Department got there rather quickly, and had it out before it got past the firewall ; although I didn't like it that they took as fire ax to the engine.

Actually, the best I could tell afterwards, it was a gas ignited fire. This was odd for an engine that never leaked a drop of oil, water or gas. Only thing I came up with was that something caused the engine to overheat, and with the added 104° Summer temperature, the gas boiled out of the carb and hit the hot engine - poof.

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2020, 11:18:58 PM »
It would be interesting if Jeff commented on why or if the need for a fire axe to the engine in a situation like this.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2020, 04:57:38 PM »
It would be interesting if Jeff commented on why or if the need for a fire axe to the engine in a situation like this.

Didn't see or notice that an ax was used to gain access in this case but without getting into the tall weeds I would offer the following. Since the 70's less and less car hoods are opened mechanically from the exterior of the car and instead using a cable which often does not operate once a fire gets going. Fire departments started training and using direct access of going through the hood since the strength of the latch is a federal standard and it is the strongest point in the assembly so forcing it directly can be done but not always successful or easy as you stand in the heat and possibly flames. Because of this many/most FD's train to go through using an axe or a perching nozzle. The problem with this is its fairly quick but at some point you still need to open the hood to complete the full task.  For our department (shared and trained other departments in the technique over the years) I was tasked with coming up with a better way by going after the hinges instead. Since there are no regulations on their construction they are always the weakest point and can be overcome in under a minute with the technique. Bottom line on older car is that most firefighters do not know how older cars are constructed and in turn fall back on a one size fits all responses. And it does get the job done though thicker metal and construction can make it more difficult
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2020, 07:19:16 PM »
Didn't see or notice that an ax was used to gain access in this case but without getting into the tall weeds I would offer the following. Since the 70's less and less car hoods are opened mechanically from the exterior of the car and instead using a cable which often does not operate once a fire gets going. Fire departments started training and using direct access of going through the hood since the strength of the latch is a federal standard and it is the strongest point in the assembly so forcing it directly can be done but not always successful or easy as you stand in the heat and possibly flames. Because of this many/most FD's train to go through using an axe or a perching nozzle. The problem with this is its fairly quick but at some point you still need to open the hood to complete the full task.  For our department (shared and trained other departments in the technique over the years) I was tasked with coming up with a better way by going after the hinges instead. Since there are no regulations on their construction they are always the weakest point and can be overcome in under a minute with the technique. Bottom line on older car is that most firefighters do not know how older cars are constructed and in turn fall back on a one size fits all responses. And it does get the job done though thicker metal and construction can make it more difficult
For the record (again), Jeff is a retired Fireman.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2020, 08:31:19 PM »
And how does one get into the engine compartment using your technique utilizing the hinges?  Curious minds (me, myself and I) want to know.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2020, 10:24:11 PM »
And how does one get into the engine compartment using your technique utilizing the hinges?  Curious minds (me, myself and I) want to know.

I'll PM you tomorrow and see if I can explain. Don't recall if I created a lesson plan or a pictorial showing the process while I ran the Academy my lat 6 years. Trained about 400 firefighters during that period
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2020, 07:44:57 AM »
Thanks.  I got the PDF.  Interesting.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com