Author Topic: Tie down sticker  (Read 1302 times)

Offline tobkob

Tie down sticker
« on: June 04, 2017, 11:14:20 PM »
Quick question that I have wondered about every time I see a Mustang with the tie down sticker on the license plate area..Since A.O. Smith cut out the area where they would be did they add another to the gas tank filler door?
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Tie down sticker
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 11:46:16 PM »
Quick question that I have wondered about every time I see a Mustang with the tie down sticker on the license plate area..Since A.O. Smith cut out the area where they would be did they add another to the gas tank filler door?
Evidence points to it being put on the rear bumper of a 69/70 Shelby when it left Ford.No evidence to show that AO Smith placed another . It would be taken off during dealer prep at the dealership given the rear bumper location. We know that some of the the regular 69/70 Mustangs had the tie down stickers left on the license plate area because it was covered by the license plate.    Unless you are going to present the car prior to dealer prep with plastic cover on steering wheel and seats etc. the tie down sticker on the rear bumper would not be appropriate.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline tobkob

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 12:00:55 AM »
Thanks Bob, I was just curious as I had never seen it addressed.

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 01:07:16 AM »
There was a period (short as it was :) where it was thought that the instructions were installed on the rear bumper just in case someone has heard that in the past
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 10:37:24 AM »
There was a period (short as it was :) where it was thought that the instructions were installed on the rear bumper just in case someone has heard that in the past
Yes I believe there are some pics at AO lot where you can make out something of that size on the bumper.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby