Author Topic: First show, what to expect?  (Read 736 times)

Offline sed6

First show, what to expect?
« on: August 13, 2017, 02:55:48 PM »
Off to KS soon for my first show. My 66 GT is entered in Concours Driven. I paid a few extra $ to show it inside instead of outside.

Some stupid questions. I normally keep a cooler and cleaning supplies in the trunk at other shows, what do I do with that stuff since my trunk has to be open, my hotel's a mile away? Can I set up a chair inside by my car and chat with peeps walking by? Can I close my hood and trunk (and roll down the windows) after I'm judged? Can I spend all of Thursday eve cleaning and polishing on my car on the show floor? What if it rains on the way up, do I have to get every water spot (and dirt) off everything or do I get a pass since I drove? How much gas in the tank (read that somewhere but can't find) and why does that matter? What parts do people pull off after driving there and then replace with show parts? Is that considered cool?

Looking for other tips or ideas of what to expect. Thanks all!

PS- I'm appalled at the number of little things that pop up on the car right before a show! I ripped out a spark plug boot, tore a wiper blade, discovered a bad fan belt, got a nail in my tire, all stuff that needs fixed before the show.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: First show, what to expect?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 03:10:30 PM »
put your 'stuff' behind the car. arrange it neatly. chair can be set up. take it down overnight. you can close it up but inside there is no need. you will not be able to enter the inside until friday morning. i have double checked that because i am also inside. you can clean as much as you like prior to entering.you want to get it as clean as you can. 1/4 tank of gas or less. you should have received an email containing the do's & don'ts. matters because it is fire marshall rules. most likely they will check. also battery must be disconnected. best tip................just relax & learn! it's just a carshow after all...........
5F09C331248

Offline nham3407

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 04:38:19 PM »
I will be there as well and looking forward to it.  This will be my 3rd MCA National Show and all have been very fun.  As stated, enjoy the show!  Do as much cleaning as you can before you enter the Convention Center. The KC Club sent some details on car washes in the area, but it sounded like they were automated drive through.  Would not even consider one of those.  Get some waterless cleaner at a local parts house near home or go to MCA sponsor Chadwicks Triple Play.  These can be used to get any dust or bugs off from the drive.  No spray on tire dressing permitted inside the convention center.

As stated, remove all items from trunk and either set them under the rear of the car or bring with you to your seat area.  Yes, you can set up a camping chair in the show area.  By your car is nice so you can talk with folks and be available when being judged.  Let me just offer that Clean-Clean-Clean are the key words to remember in your class. I am in the same class and this has come across clear from my last two events.  Parts exchange is up to you.  Some folks have a show specific battery that they swap, others may swap floor mats or OE hang (wire) tags on radiator or interior.

If any of the judges disagree with my next comment please chime in. I would remain behind your car during judging and observe the actions of the judges (from a distance) and what they are focusing on during your judging.  After they are done ask them for any feedback they could provide you as this is your first show.  Respect anything they provide and don't try to challenge it. They are here on their own time to keep our hobby alive and to a common standard.  Make sure you request your judging sheet after the show from MCA.  I have my previous 2 and thoroughly review them and follow-up on their deductions and comments.

Please do understand through all of this the point is to have a good time.  Yes, we get nervous when others are critiquing our work, that's natural. Just know it is to help you and not discourage you. I have a friend who has several nice mustangs (Shelby's & Boss's) and has stopped showing them based upon the feedback from one MCA show.  Don't wear your pride on your shoulder. Be open to the feedback and enjoy your time with others who have the same passion as you.

In closing, you have a very nice looking car and if we have a chance to meet up at the show it would be great to say Hi.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 06/68

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 05:33:24 PM »
GREAT help offered so far.

Please don't judge MCA in general by one problem, issue or person you might meet. Like any club they are a reflection of the general population with different personalities, people having a bad days, dealing with outside issues and what ever else they bring with them.  I'm sure you will find that the positives for a car owner way out weights any small issue that might arise even though, at the time, it might seem very important

Even though people will tell you we're there for the fun, it really can be allot of work, money, time and effort spent. I like to think its more rewarding or can be given the right mix of effort, understanding and knowledge.

Enjoy this is not the last shop (hopefully) you will ever attend
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline BobV

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 08:54:00 AM »
Look forward to seeing you there! I'm indoors, Concours Driven as well, but in a different class.
Most important is to RELAX and ENJOY the show!

This is a BASIC list for most folks here, but I'll re-post, as it's a good guide for 1st timers:

The 1st area on the judging sheet is interior. We tend to overlook the interior and concentrate on engine/body- don't make that mistake! With the doors open, look ACROSS at the opposite side - you'll see a lot of stuff you tend to miss when focused on the side you're in. Start with a good impression there, and the judges tend to look at everything else a little easier too.

Sometimes, we really need to pay attention to the BASICs. Best part about this list, is that it won't cost you a dime - only time!

My Top 10 Car Show Tips (from a judges perspective):

1) Empty the car. Don't leave oil bottles, Bubba mugs, jumper cables, or today's McDonalds trash on the seats, console, floor, or trunk...

2) Vacuum the carpet!!! When you get to the show, use tape wrapped around your hand to remove last minute loose pebbles, dustbunnies, etc.

3) Remove the floormats and/or clean under them. They only stay in the car if they are factory and in GREAT shape.

4) Don't try to hide your cracked dash under a ballcap or showroom brochure... Really?

5) Beautiful paint and fresh wax, but remove the wax residue from seams, trim, and emblems, please! Toothbrush time!

6) Fluids belong on the inside, not the outside of your engine, master cylinder, PS pump. Clean up leaks.

7) Plug wires do not HAVE to look like spaghetti. A few minutes cleaning and organizing here is HUGE for the 1st impression.

8 ) How DO you see thru those windows??? Clean them ALL, inside & out.

9) If your wheels have openings, you need to clean the inside of the rim!

10) CLEAN - door jambs, trunk hinges, bottom inside of doors, hood hinges, pedals, latches, kick panels, sunvisors. If I can see it, it's fair game!

And, here's a few bonus suggestions if you want to go the extra mile:

1. Clean the rocks out of your tire treads.

2. If you use tire products, keep it on the tires, not the pavement. BLACK is more important than SHINY, but whatever you do, don't leave your spot looking like the Exxon Valdez is parked there. (I personally use a satin gloss product - leaves 'em black!)

3. Leave your trophy and stuffed animal collection at home. Don't let extra display items detract from the car. Too much gets in the judges way...

4. Steal the wife's long handle dishwasher scrub brush and remove bugs from the radiator and A/C condenser. I know one judge who always looks at THIS 1st thing, and it forms his impression for how the rest of the car will do.

5. Clean out the trunk!

Finally, and this is important - trunk and hood open, doors closed but unlocked, and windows/conv top UP!!!
1986 Saleen Mustang
50k miles 98% original

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 07:42:37 PM »
After the judges introduce themselves be sure to let them know of anything unusual that happened to the car on the way to the show(bad things). The judges are typically reasonable. Mention if there is anything that is out of the ordinary about the way the car was restored detail wise and have a binder or other way to show the judges corroborating evidence (documentation ,pictures etc.) to help them understand why you restored things the way you did. Second hand or here say evidence is typically not considered valid. It is a really big help to judges and ultimately the entrant as well.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline sed6

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 12:26:28 AM »
Great info all, thanks! Follow up question,with three days of judging how am I to have any chance of catching the judges when they look at my car?

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 12:30:02 AM »
You could put a note on your car with your cell phone asking the judges to call you when they are at your car if you are not near it. 
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback

Offline sed6

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 12:34:24 AM »
4. Steal the wife's long handle dishwasher scrub brush and remove bugs from the radiator and A/C condenser. I know one judge who always looks at THIS 1st thing, and it forms his impression for how the rest of the car will do.

What a great list of tips! But this one turns me off, a lot. I'm driving hundreds of miles to attend and if I lose points or a judge is biased against me for bugs, then perhaps showing isn't for me. Beautiful this, beautiful that, proper this, proper that, oh wait bugs in the radiator, you lose! Please someone tell me I won't lose points for that! Do I lose points for tiny rock chips too?

Offline BobV

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 08:23:25 AM »
A piece of fiberglass screen, held in place by cow magnets keeps the bug guts out of the radiator and A/C condenser...  ;) Remove it at the show, of course.
I drove 1600 miles the last 2 weeks. Not a bug to be found. 8)

Correctness, Condition, Cleanliness all count.
1986 Saleen Mustang
50k miles 98% original

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 09:17:21 AM »
A piece of fiberglass screen, held in place by cow magnets keeps the bug guts out of the radiator and A/C condenser...  ;) Remove it at the show, of course.
I drove 1600 miles the last 2 weeks. Not a bug to be found. 8)

Correctness, Condition, Cleanliness all count.

Is a COW MAGNET the opposite of a BABE MAGNET?  ??? ??? :o :o ::) ::) ;D ;D

You might explain yourself...I imagine some of us are not farmers or not familiar with the product ;)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Well Optioned
2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline BobV

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 10:42:59 AM »
Cow magnets are small, strong rectangular shaped magnets.
I use the vinyl-coated ones, as they don't scratch.

https://www.animalhealthsupply.com/collections/miscellaneous-beef-and-dairy/products/nylon-coated-ceramic-cow-magnet-3-pack

Yes, they feed them to cows to prevent hardware disease. A cow will eat damn near anything, including metal.

Now, if you easily confuse cows and babes, they do sell a full line of grooming products for cows, but what you do is none of my business!!! LOL!!! ;D :D :P :o ::)
1986 Saleen Mustang
50k miles 98% original

Offline sed6

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2017, 01:40:36 AM »
Hey all, I want to follow up and say thanks for all the input. Overland Park was a blast. Never before have I seen so many great cars or met so many awesome people! I even met a couple of forum members. I had a chance to chat with many different judges throughout the weekend, plus the ones judging mine. All were quick to offer compliments and provided TONS of valuable critique and feedback. That plus looking at the many other fine examples on display really gets me pointed in the right direction.

Best of all I got my judging sheets back today. While I fell short of a bronze, I wasn't that far off. Close enough in fact to kick myself for not addressing a few minor details before hand that could have made a difference. I am impressed with the thoroughness of the comments on my judging sheets also. I joked to the one scribing that I suspect his hand would cramp by the end, and I might have been right!

Thanks again for everyones input. Off to do a ton of reading and searching. And here's a pic of her from the show.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 01:43:58 AM by sed6 »

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2017, 09:11:53 AM »
Glad to hear you had a good experience. As a judge my self I really enjoy helping people like you that are eager to learn and improve their car. Now you have the winter to use the judge sheet to fix the deductions and possibly move up in the metals. I am not sure where you are located but our club in Lincoln NE. is hosting a MCA national show in July 2018, hope you can make it.
Marty

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2017, 04:31:14 PM »
Also glad to hear of your participation and your positive attitude.  Hope we can continue to help - lots of 65-66 experience and knowledge here on the site.  Time to take accounting of the issues, make a list and a plan that suits your needs and goal
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)