Author Topic: 1968 unrestored High Country Special  (Read 900 times)

Offline ruppstang

1968 unrestored High Country Special
« on: September 15, 2017, 10:39:29 PM »
We purchased this 1968 unrestored High Country Special in April. It was sold new at Laplatia Motors Inc. Durango CO. and it spent most of it's time on a Colorado ranch. It has a lot of dents and scratches but is a pretty original car. My goal was to show it at the MCA grand national in Kansas City. It turned out to be quite a project because it was very dirty from those gravel county roads and it had not been driven much in 30 years or even started in 6 years. I ended up mostly dissembling the car to thoroughly clean it. The biggest problem with the car is the PO recovered the seats so I am still looking for some nice originals.
I did make the KC national show but just barely I finished assembling it the week before the show so I only had a few miles on it before I had to drive it to KC.   I only got about 80 miles at 70 mph before it was very hot so I had to run the heater full blast the rest of the 200 miles to keep it from boiling over. The car and I both were hot when I got there. It did better that I expected at the show which made me happy. I decided to barrow a radiator from a friend to get it home which made the trip home a lot better.
I would like the members opinions whether to touch up some of the rock nicks in the paint of leave it as they are part of the history of the car. I do plan to have some paint less dent repairs done this winter. Here are some photos.
Marty 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 09:53:32 PM by ruppstang »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1968 unrestored High Country Special
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 10:48:05 PM »
We purchased this 1968 unrestored High Country Special in April. It was sold new at Laplatia Motors Inc. Durango CO. and it spent most of it's time on a Colorado ranch. It has a lot of dents and scratches but is a pretty original car. My goal was to show it at the MCA grand national in Kansas City. It turned out to be quite a project because it was very dirty from those gravel county roads and it had not been driven much in 30 years or even started in 6 years. I ended up mostly dissembling the car to thoroughly clean it. The biggest problem with the car is the PO recovered the seats so I am still looking for some nice originals.
I did make the KC national show but just barely I finished assembling it the week before the show so I only had a few miles on it before I had to drive it to KC.   I only got about 80 miles at 70 mph before it was very hot so I had to run the heater full blast the rest of the 200 miles to keep it from boiling over. The car and I both were hot when I got there. It did better that I expected at the show which made me happy. I decided to barrow a radiator from a friend to get it home which made the trip home a lot better.
I would like the members opinions whether to touch up some of the rock nicks in the paint of leave it as they are part of the history of the car. I do plan to have some paint less dent repairs done this winter. Here are some photos.
Marty
It sure turned out well. I wish I had looked at it harder. I would leave the paint alone but continue with the PDR plan and replacing parts with patina appropriate originals. Just my opinion.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 07:11:30 AM »
Looks great Marty. (enviable)
I have been rather partial to the color, I almost bought a CS the same color back in 78, missed high bid by under $10! (at a sealed bid, insurance salvage pool, where my 67 came from) The next month's sale I bought the 67 I now still have.

Anyways, I agree with Bob & what you have decided. Finding decent 68 seats in that color, good luck in your search. The right fender & front apron look to have the worst damage, maybe very difficult to iron out the fender w/o further damaging the paint. I know there are tremendously talented metal workers out there but there are also people who claim to be so and are perhaps mediocre at best. I would shop around and ask for references before taking or sending out the parts. I am sure you know this already but for any readers, I'd hope they also understand only few, VERY few body/metal workers can really do some of these more difficult "Paintless" dent repairs without making matters worse in other ways.

Hopefully, I can get to your local show next year & see your progress in person...not looking likely at this time (spending my allowance for travel on a cruise to the Bahamas) but if other funding arrives mysteriously, you never know ;) 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 07:13:44 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Well Optioned
2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 03:17:05 PM »
Very nice - thanks for sharing
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline DTruitt

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 11:29:21 PM »
Nice, congratulations on its purchase and your show results.

I can't help but notice the short front window cranks!

Danny
1968 Raven Black, S- Code, 4 spd., GT Fastback, San Jose, March 1968
1968 Candy Apple Red, J- Code, C-4, GT Convertable, San Jose, April 1968 (SOLD)
1968 Raven Black, R- Code, 4 spd., GT Coupe, Dearborn, April 1968

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 09:56:42 PM »
Thanks for the complements and advice. I am looking forward to making this unrestored car all it can be.
I added rear and trunk picture to my first post.

Offline rodster

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 12:27:25 AM »
Very nice!

Great to see original cars. I have a 67, very similar condition. How did you clean the bottom taking care not to remove any overspray? How many miles on the car?

I would leave the paint alone unless it needs touched up to prevent rust.  Every ding and dent tells a story.  ;)
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 11:55:38 PM »
Very nice!

Great to see original cars. I have a 67, very similar condition. How did you clean the bottom taking care not to remove any overspray? How many miles on the car?

I would leave the paint alone unless it needs touched up to prevent rust.  Every ding and dent tells a story.  ;)
It as 52850 miles. I used Super Clean and water with a lot of elbow grease. I am sure that I lost some over spray but this car drove gravel county roads so I was very happy with what was left.

Offline rodster

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 01:07:38 AM »
Thanks for the info.... :)
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline azscj

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 04:21:29 PM »
Good looking car.  I like it. 
I just bought a 68 myself so of course nice to see some other low mileage examples for comparison now. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

http://www.anghelrestorations.com/
https://www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 05:53:43 PM »
Marty, I just noticed that it is a 3 speed stick. No smog parts?
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 09:22:22 PM »
Marty, I just noticed that it is a 3 speed stick. No smog parts?
It perplexes me as well. Here is what I know, the last owner changed nothing in the last 30 years. The heads are not drilled for smog tubes and their date codes are perfect for the engine, the engine block matches the VIN. It has a single grove pulleys for the alternator and the drive pulley. There is no signs of the TE brackets or their mounting.
I read in Bob Mannel's small block Ford book the TE system was discontinued late in the production year. This car was built on 6-12-68. Could this be why it does not have a TE system?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 09:46:40 PM »
I read in Bob Mannel's small block Ford book the TE system was discontinued late in the production year. This car was built on 6-12-68. Could this be why it does not have a TE system?

Wonder how he came to that conclusion since big blocks continued. Don't see anything mentioning a change in the state and federal emission standards and books I have copies of stating the elimination of the Thermactor systems. Unfortunately not allot of manual transmission examples out there since they were not as popular in 68

Don't recall any late in the production year internal changes that would have lower emissions - something the Feds would have focused on in order to change their earlier requirements

Interesting in any case
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 08:36:32 AM »
I also might point out that there is no mention of the TE system on the Marti report. I am convinced that this car never came with one but would like to understand why.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 09:15:30 AM »
... I am convinced that this car never came with one but would like to understand why.
Perhaps the elevation of Durango Co. (6,5012 above sea level) comes into play here. High elevation and/or combined with travel between high elevation to lower elevations, wreak havoc on an otherwise "good tune-up" and perhaps vehicles set up with "High Altitude Emissions" systems were exempt (at least given the combination of options of this particular example). Just a thought. This would not necessarily include EVERY HCS made with manual transmissions but perhaps certain DSO's only.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Well Optioned
2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments