Author Topic: 1969 Hood Grounding Strap Location Difference  (Read 2836 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
1969 Hood Grounding Strap Location Difference
« on: May 01, 2018, 09:10:51 PM »
Every so often a new detail appears out of a search to answer a forum or email question and over the last few days another has arisen.

This time it's related to the location of the hood electrical ground strap attached over the cowl cover of 69 Mustangs and Cougars on the passenger side. Though a small detail all of them working together breaks the cookie-cutter look of the finished cars and  represents, how the cars were each built, our goal

Only included three pictures from each plant though I have dozens of additional example from each.  Hope this helps

Metuchen

San Jose

Dearborn

Did find one example from the 9F156xxx period  that didn't fall into the "typical" location for 69 Dearborn but wanted to include it though it was different from the all the others I found from that year and plant

« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 09:28:57 PM by carlite65 »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1969 Hood Grounding Strap Location Difference
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 09:13:43 PM »
So in summary the survey shows that all three locations  (first three cowl cover screws on the passenger side) were used for mounting the hood ground but typically they differed from plant to plant that year.

#1 or furthest outboard at San Jose

#2 or middle location for NJ

#3 or closest to the windshield washer nozzle, typically, at Dearborn

Who would have thought :)   

Sure we may hear from the handful of members that have unrestored 69 examples
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 09:29:26 PM by carlite65 »
Jeff Speegle

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 08:23:01 AM »
Hi Jeff, interesting picture post, thanks

Questions:
Are these pics all 1969 cars, and is the mounting location/configuration different for 1970 Dearborn cars?

I noticed in the pics that the fasteners/screws holding down the cowl are hex head and not Phillips can you confirm what type of head screw was used on a Sept 69 built 1970 Dearborn mustang.

Do the 1970 mustangs have that round rubber seal attached to the length of the cowl lip??
Dearborn Built Sept 4, 1969
1970 Mach1 428 CJ R-Code C6
Calypso Coral, White Deluxe Interior
dash tach, front bumperettes
Marti report one of one with delay wipers

Offline specialed

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 10:11:09 AM »
All 69=70 cars should have cowl rubber seal. Agree jeff as i have 4 Met. cars in the area & they have ground straps on center screws not by washer jets like i see on dearborn cars. I am working on a early feb 69 Met. car now & am wondering about the color of the cowl body color vs. black as it seems like Met started paint cowls black way before dearborn. In your Met. ground strap photos all seem to be black color do u have the build dates on those photos? thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 07:19:15 PM »
Questions:
Are these pics all 1969 cars, and is the mounting location/configuration different for 1970 Dearborn cars?

Yes all 69's since that is the subject of the thread.

It appears that Dearborn during 70 production continued to normally place the ground strap at the mounting screw closest to the passenger side windshield washer nozzle again

I noticed in the pics that the fasteners/screws holding down the cowl are hex head and not Phillips can you confirm what type of head screw was used on a Sept 69 built 1970 Dearborn mustang.

From 0F01F1086xx

Do the 1970 mustangs have that round rubber seal attached to the length of the cowl lip??

Yes that was the plan
Jeff Speegle

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 01:27:44 AM »
Thanks again, confirmed screws are hex head and 70 production cars had round rubber seal.
Dearborn Built Sept 4, 1969
1970 Mach1 428 CJ R-Code C6
Calypso Coral, White Deluxe Interior
dash tach, front bumperettes
Marti report one of one with delay wipers

Offline MikeG69

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 05:59:03 PM »
I am working on a early feb 69 Met. car now & am wondering about the color of the cowl body color vs. black as it seems like Met started paint cowls black way before dearborn. In your Met. ground strap photos all seem to be black color do u have the build dates on those photos? thanks

My 11/26/68 Metuchen, NJ built 69 Coupe that still has original factory paint on the cowl top & side covers both are body color & the separation line is the cowl/firewall pinch weld. Below the pinch weld is engine compartment black, & above the pinch weld is body color.
I have been involved in Mustangs & working on cars for over 45 years.
1969 Mustang Coupe, 9T01F142xxx, assembled in NJ 11/26/68, 302, auto, meadowlark yellow. (project)
2021 Bronco Sport (Wife's DD)
2005 F150 2WD Regular Cab (My DD)
1999 Explorer Sport (Spare)
MCA #-4549

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 06:05:46 PM »
My 11/26/68 Metuchen, NJ built 69 Coupe that still has original factory paint on the cowl top & side covers both are body color & the separation line is the cowl/firewall pinch weld. Below the pinch weld is engine compartment black, & above the pinch weld is body color.

Mike can I suggest that you repost this over in the other thread so that we can keep all the findings together :)   Keeps me from having to merge your post and that thread and since Ed took the time to start a new thread specifically about the cowl finish just keeps it all together in a neater pile for search users in the future

Thanks

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=2488.0
Jeff Speegle