Author Topic: AMP Wire harness  (Read 1151 times)

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
AMP Wire harness
« on: September 26, 2018, 04:52:55 PM »
I'm getting ready to hook up my under hood "Fog Lights & Amp Gauge" wiring and double checking things are right before doing so and this comes up (again). Where the front harness plugs into the MID harness, the Black wire and Black with Yellow stripe wires change position at the plug. Starting at the solenoid and junction block, we see the two wires. Contrary to the diagram in the background, the pure black wire attaches to the "+" of the solenoid to go to the AMP gauge in the car and the Black with Yellow Stripe attach to the junction block as the return from the Amp Guage and to feed the original Ford wire that has been moved from the "+" of the solenoid. on the 69 the junction block is below the solenoid:

From here we move to the connector where the front harness attaches to the Mid Harness. You can see the Black and Black with Yellow Strip change positions here:

From here the Mid Wire harness connects to the Shelby Console harness where the AMP Gauge is. Normally it would not matter if the wire colors were wrong, I could just swap them on the AMP Gauge terminals, but the Black with Yellow Stripe wire has an offshoot that goes to the center console Fog and Interior light wiring. As the "+" from battery black wire has changed to the Black with Yellow Strip at this point, the Fog and Interior light wire are now before the AMP Gauge or, getting power w/o going through the AMP Gauge.

Is this proper or should I correct the switching of the wires at the Mid Harness connector? Maybe it's not a bad idea to not have the Fog lamps go through the AMP Gauge?
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: AMP Wire harness
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 06:37:50 PM »
You might want to review the wiring schematic on page 6 of the Shelby shop manual supplement. It confirms that black and yellow wire goes to the black and yellow wire . The black goes to the black. Are these repro wiring harness you are working with? If they are then I would suspect that one or the other was  mis made.  I think you need to compare the factory schematic to determine which harness has a issue at the plugs as you posted.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 06:41:58 PM »
When I compare the foglight harness's I have out of a car it appears to be the mid harness that has been mis made(mis routed at plug). I don't have a mid harness out of a car to compare.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 07:05:09 PM »
The Branda illustration is for 67/68 . On a 69/70 the shorter black and yellow wire coming out of the foglight harness goes to the junction block. The longer solid black goes to the positive side of the solenoid . The thin ground wire goes to the regulator screw.

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 07:16:58 PM »
You might want to review the wiring schematic on page 6 of the Shelby shop manual supplement. It confirms that black and yellow wire goes to the black and yellow wire . The black goes to the black. Are these repro wiring harness you are working with? If they are then I would suspect that one or the other was  mis made.  I think you need to compare the factory schematic to determine which harness has a issue at the plugs as you posted.   

I had totally forgotten I had the Shelby Shop Manual Supplement (photocopy of), let alone that it had wiring diagrams in it. That's going to help a lot!

Yep, got the end that goes to the Junction block and solenoid correct, and suspected the 3rd was a ground. Thanks for confirming. All three of my "Shelby" wire harnesses are repros as my original's shorted and melted. Got all three, the "Fog Lights & Amp Gauge Wiring", "Mid Harness", and "Console Harness" from NPD.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 07:23:05 PM by 69GT350H »
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 07:27:52 PM »
I had totally forgotten I had the Shelby Shop Manual Supplement (photocopy of), let alone that it had wiring diagrams in it. That's going to help a lot!

Yep, got the end that goes to the Junction block and solenoid correct, and suspected the 3rd was a ground. Thanks for confirming. All three of my "Shelby" wire harnesses are repros as my original's shorted and melted. Got all three, the "Fog Lights & Amp Gauge Wiring", "Mid Harness", and "Console Harness" from NPD.
I would send the mid harness back showing the pictures and the schematic that it is mis made and hope the different one is better.