Author Topic: 65 SJ Running Change Survey - Spare tire Hold Down  (Read 965 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
65 SJ Running Change Survey - Spare tire Hold Down
« on: December 06, 2018, 06:48:48 PM »
Working down the list of running changes that took place during 1965 production at San Jose as the title states, in this thread I focus on spare tire mounts and hardware versions.

When production of the Mustang began plants started out building Mustangs welding a small sheet metal bracket to the passenger side of the trunk floor that held a carriage bolt that was used to secure the spare tire to the vehicle. Later in production the bracket and hardware changed to a version where a J shaped threaded rod was installed to hold the spare tire in place and the bracket welded to the floor was shaped to form a loop for attachment purposes.

Early Carriage Bolt/Slotted Version

Later J Hook/Loop Version

Looking my collection of pictures and VINs I found the following.

Highest sequential VIN's with the slotted bracket that I have picture of - 5R17621x
Lowest sequential VIN's with the loop bracket that I have pictures of - 5R17624x

That produces a very narrow range between the highest and the lowest of each group. With these new data points it appears at this time that the change over was around Jan 19th a narrowing from the earlier posted mid Jan to mid Feb 1965 at San Jose

Hope this helps others in their efforts and projects.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 05:05:33 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline racincast

• may 65 FB Metuchen
Re: 65 SJ Running Change Survey - Spare tire Hold Down
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2022, 12:36:05 PM »
Looking for later loop version correct location...seems not easy to find. Also saw some photos where hold down bracket is parallel to fuel tank and others they are with an angle maybe between 20? to 45??
Thanks in advance
Fastback GT 5T09A16XXXX
WIMBLEDON WHITE
Black Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2022, 03:13:30 PM »
Looking for later loop version correct location...seems not easy to find. Also saw some photos where hold down bracket is parallel to fuel tank and others they are with an angle maybe between 20? to 45??
Thanks in advance

Have seen factory mistakes with two installed. Guessing the first one was installed in the wrong place and the second was the corrected versions. Go with the parallel unless that is what you found on your specific car - no reason to copy a mistake when there wasn't one.  Most wouldn't add a dent to their fender, tear in the carpet, bracket installed in he wrong spot because another car had one, when your restoring a car ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline racincast

• may 65 FB Metuchen
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2022, 08:26:18 AM »
Perfect, I will take your advice...THANKS
Fastback GT 5T09A16XXXX
WIMBLEDON WHITE
Black Interior