Author Topic: 67 Ported Vacuum Switch finish (PVS)  (Read 552 times)

Offline 7R02A

67 Ported Vacuum Switch finish (PVS)
« on: January 06, 2019, 11:37:25 PM »
Hello.  I am attempting to restore my PVS for my Dec 66 built 289.  I have seen pictures of 2 known unrestored cars (one is in the unrestored portion of this forum) with this switch and both have corrosion and no signs of blue engine paint that I can see.  Does anybody know what the original finish of both the lower steel portion and the upper pot metal would be?

Second question is, would the switch have been installed prior to the engine being painted?

Cars details are in my signature.
Thanks,
John
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 12:01:56 AM by 7R02A »
John
1967 Fastback, A code, automatic transmission, Deluxe interior, AC, PS, P disc brakes, tilt, consoles, exterior group, fold down, DSO 71.
San Jose build, Actual build: Dec 17, 66.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 67 Ported Vacuum Switch finsh (PVS)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 12:07:15 AM »
Hello.  I am attempting to restore my PVS for my Dec 66 built 289.  I have seen pictures of 2 known unrestored cars (one is in the unrestored portion of this forum) with this switch and both have corrosion and no signs of blue engine paint that I can see.  Does anybody know what the original finish of both the lower steel portion and the upper pot metal would be?

Second question is, would the switch have been installed prior to the engine being painted?

Cars details are in my signature.
Thanks,
John
The bottom half is typically brass and new has a industrial or chemically polished brass finish (not highly polished) . The upper pot metal or die cast zinc portion is the same goldish finish as the body of a Holley carburetor . There is evidence to support them being installed before the engine was painted and covered with a mask during that painting process. Many have been found with paint on the threads and others with the threads and the lower edge of the hex portion. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 7R02A

Re: 67 Ported Vacuum Switch finish (PVS)
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 12:40:32 AM »
Thanks for the reply Bob, but the 67 only PVS has a steel base and is much taller than the 68 and up brass version.  This is the one that is mounted in the intake manifold rather than the thermostat housing.  I attached a picture of one from the unrestored thread in the 67 -68 section. Any info you can provide is appreciated.
John
1967 Fastback, A code, automatic transmission, Deluxe interior, AC, PS, P disc brakes, tilt, consoles, exterior group, fold down, DSO 71.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 03:07:03 AM »
Thanks for the reply Bob, but the 67 only PVS has a steel base and is much taller than the 68 and up brass version.  This is the one that is mounted in the intake manifold rather than the thermostat housing.  I attached a picture of one from the unrestored thread in the 67 -68 section. Any info you can provide is appreciated.
OK I had confused with the one typical for 68 up. I have a high confidence level that the diecast upper half is the same as the other later versions however I will not be of any help for finish of the steel base. Most likely the installation was the same as the later versions being installed prior to paint and a mask was used but can not be for sure on the early version.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 06:05:10 PM »

The upper cast section would have been coated/plated with a finish similar/same as used on the carburetor main cast body and parts like the later PVS's. Today many use the Eastwood spray transparent gold finish with a light coat of the green transparent paint over that base. Lower/main body appears to be zinc or zinc dichromate. Think I would choose the dichromate if it were me at this time

Believe, based on observations of originals, the switch was installed prior to the engine being painted and a slip over mask was used to keep paint off of much of the switch but allowing some direct or overspray along the lower end where it meets the intake.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 7R02A

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 07:19:11 PM »
That's exactly what I needed to know.  Thank you Bob and Jeff.
John