Author Topic: 69 San Jose Cowl Black-out  (Read 864 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
69 San Jose Cowl Black-out
« on: June 25, 2019, 08:11:51 PM »
The question comes up many times - What is the original finish of the top of the cowl (not the removable cowl cover) above the firewall to cowl pinch weld?

W have visited this subject many times in relationship to 69 Dearborn cars so while researching another question in the 69 picture section of my collection I grabbed a few examples for the San Jose  owners/builders.   What I found is that unlike Dearborn there was not a transition from body to blacked out surface but that San Jose started out blacking this area out from Job #1 for 69 and continued through the production year.  The paint pattern is also somewhat different than painters at Dearborn.

9R1177xx

9R11529x

9R1755xx

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
While collecting I also grabbed pictures of the side of the cowl area in front of the A pillar to see how the continuation of that black (engine compartment and wheel well) paint was applied. As you can see it's a little or allot depending on painter.

9R1177xx

9R1054xx

« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 08:14:40 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
Re: 69 San Jose Cowl Black-out
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 05:33:39 PM »
Cougars have the same cowl black-out paint pattern. 1969 Cougar hardtops only built in San Jose Until late November 1968.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 07:40:59 PM »
Cougars have the same cowl black-out paint pattern. 1969 Cougar hardtops only built in San Jose Until late November 1968.

+1  And to remind others both models were built on the same line at San Jose (there were multiple lines in that plant) so they were assembled and painted by the same personnel and often are identical in their quirks and details
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 08:26:00 PM »
- both models were built on the same line at San Jose (there were multiple lines in that plant) so they were assembled and painted by the same personnel and often are identical in their quirks and details
Two lines, one was truck. Details are still emerging. But they were built with the same "quirks".
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 08:35:20 PM »
Two lines, one was truck. Details are still emerging. But they were built with the same "quirks".
Jim

Believe there were more than two lines in the whole plant but there was in individual trunk line as described by workers and the guys that laid out the plant. Too bad none of the copies of the 60's layout has been made available or discovered after all these years.
Jeff Speegle