Author Topic: 67 SJ Running Change Survey - Service Specification Decal  (Read 640 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
67 SJ Running Change Survey - Service Specification Decal
« on: August 16, 2019, 05:36:50 PM »
During 1967 production San Jose changed the style of service specification decal they typically applied to the drivers side shock tower.

The earlier version (shown below) is basically a mylar surface with black writing and thin border. Basically the same decal used on 66 Mustangs

The later version changed the lower box as can be seen on the original example below

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Looking through my collection of pictures of unrestored cars the change point is far from exact. Examples suggest that both decals were being used during Nov 1966 - mid Jan 1967.

Earliest (so far) late versions 7R1145xx and latest early version documented 7R1627xx

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: 67 SJ Running Change Survey - Service Specification Decal
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 08:22:07 PM »
Great, my 11/2/66 example stuck in the middle again!
I removed the later version but I would not say I had never replaced it before since I had refreshed the under hood area about 3 times. Once, I bought one of those sticker kits so...probably not any help.

How many assembly lines were running building Mustangs? Perhaps different lines used different decals? Might explain the overlap some.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 09:38:10 PM »
How many assembly lines were running building Mustangs? Perhaps different lines used different decals? Might explain the overlap some.

Just one as I understand it. Other lines going for other Ford products in the building

More likely they got the new/later version in and not enough differences (no bad info) to force a hard change so they used up what they had already printed as a cost saving effort. Guys supplying the line likely then had a mix of both versions for a while or until a manager said to stop using the few that were left.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 09:50:55 PM »
How about placement?
Mine was originally placed much lower.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 09:58:40 PM »
How about placement?
Mine was originally placed much lower.

Placement is normally due to differences between individual workers assigned to do the task on different shifts. An additional possibility is that cars with the AC and or PS option caused the workers to choose slightly different locations but anywhere on the front face of the drivers side shock tower was the idea and what typically was done.

Think both the early and later version pictures show a high and a low mounting location as an example of this. Plenty of others where in between the locations shown or the same
Jeff Speegle