Author Topic: 65 SJ Running Change Survey - Rear E Brake Cable Routing  (Read 1704 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
65 SJ Running Change Survey - Rear E Brake Cable Routing
« on: September 19, 2019, 10:07:59 PM »
Working down the list of running changes that took place during 1965 production at San Jose as the title states, in this thread I focus on spare tire mounts and hardware versions.

During 1965 production the rear floor section of the unibody was designed with a feature that allowed the rear emergency brake cable to pass between the floor and the frame rail on each side before traveling to the rear brake backing plates. The cable was held in place at this pass through by two brackets on each side. One on the inside of the frame rail and a second on the outside of the frame rail.

Above and to the rear you will typically find what appears to be an unused bolt installed in the outer face of the frame rail. Workers have explained that this (with an opaque plastic strap) held the cable up and out of the way until the rearend was installed and the worker would grab the cable, snap the plastic strap and insert the cable into the backing plate locking it in place.

Here is a general picture of the version where the e brake cable is not routed between the floor and frame. You may notice that the insulator on the cable near the end (rearend attachment point) changes from two sections to a single insulator

The purpose of this survey is to try and focus when the routing change took place, as best we can without real completion dates for each car.  Because of this projected build dates and at least the first four digits of the VIN would help identify each report of a finding. Also it would help to know if the car is unrestored or restored.

Also to focus closer to the anticipated change period we can keep the replies to cars built after the 5Rxxx180000 period. This will reduce the number of early versions since they cover most of the production period

As a secondary purpose and benefit please include the design of the retainer used to the floor as it appears there is a couple of possibilities in the initial look at examples.

Thanks
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline steve_f

Re: 65 SJ Running Change Survey - Rear E Brake Cable Routing
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 07:07:35 PM »
Jeff,
My cables go over the frame rails on my May 15th 65 GT fastback - 5R09A2222xx
Steve
Steve
1965 (15S) San Jose Mustang GT Fastback (sold)

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 10:38:48 PM »
mine go under.  5R09A 2281
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 11:06:15 PM by Brian Conway »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline steve_f

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 01:17:58 PM »
Jeff/Brian,
Do you know if the cars with the cables going under the frame rails still have the clearance bumps in the floorpan under the back seat? Reason I ask is that there is a 65 SJ GT coupe in the for sale section with a build date 2 days later than mine that has the bumps in the floor. Since it's in pieces, can't really tell if the cables went over or under.
Steve
Steve
1965 (15S) San Jose Mustang GT Fastback (sold)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 02:15:11 PM »
Do you know if the cars with the cables going under the frame rails still have the clearance bumps in the floorpan under the back seat? Reason I ask is that there is a 65 SJ GT coupe in the for sale section with a build date 2 days later than mine that has the bumps in the floor. Since it's in pieces, can't really tell if the cables went over or under.

That's a related detail I'm following also. So far yes they continued to use the earlier floor style then pass through design was replaced with the later - no passage - version. Both did (floor and route of the cable) didn't take place on the exact same date. I suggest you check for the three holes that hold/attach the inner and outer cable retaining brackets and the other hole on each side for the plastic strap retainer
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 02:58:21 PM »
My car. Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 05:36:43 PM »
Mine pass under the frame rail and has the earlier floor design. 5R09A2284XX
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 11:49:12 PM »
Very timely and helpful.  Pictures are great.  Thanks!
65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline TonyFio

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2021, 08:44:26 PM »
Mine are under the frame. 5R07C226xxx.
Tony Fiorenza
65 Lux Coupe, SJ built, 5/65, owned since 1974