Author Topic: 65 SJ Running Changes- Engine Compartment Service Specifications Decal/Sticker  (Read 1778 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Continuing to go through the multiple list related to running changes. This thread focuses on the design change for the service specifications applied to the drivers side shock tower forward face on San Jose cars.  I do invite a new thread for the other two plants if there is enough interest. If your going to provide data from a 65 San Jose car to include at least the first four numbers from the sequential part of the cars VIN and projected build date (if you have it) from the door tag. Thanks

Early Version

Late Version

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline DKutz

What is the cut off for early and late
1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Gone but not forgotten - 1996 Mustang GT

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
What is the cut off for early and late

That is what the survey of original examples should help with. Historically we've used "early and "late" to describe the first and second versions of a part or process. Sometimes the change over takes place (between early and late) very late in production or the other way around. Guess we could refer to them as version #1 and #2, A or B or something else 
Jeff Speegle

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Well, we know some 26K SJ cars had the early version.   ;D

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline ChrisV289

Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
This one looks like it has the late version

That example had a reproduction. I tried to keep it out of the pictures because of that but I see that a part of it showed up from afar. Will add a note with that picture in that thread

Jeff Speegle

Offline steve_f

Jeff,
My May 15th car (5R09A2222xx) has the later decal.
Steve
Steve
1965 (15S) San Jose Mustang GT Fastback (sold)

Offline livetoride60

My Oct 9, 1964 build date date car 5R09K145xxx had the later decal.

Engine compartment had been sloppily repainted and they painted over the sticker.  Assume it was original.

Thanks,
Rich
'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
My Oct 9, 1964 build date date car 5R09K145xxx had the later decal.

Engine compartment had been sloppily repainted and they painted over the sticker.  Assume it was original.

Have a pic?

The later decal has been reproduced for many years.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Yes if can be a challenge at times since many cars were restored over thirty years ago and used so stuff that was not original now looks so old and use people can get tricked into believing the part or details is original. Sometimes it takes a close look at the backside or the adhesive surface on the panel if (not unusual) a corner or edge has lifted to determine if its an early reproduction form years past. Get this allot on air cleaner decals especially the cubic inch one where the owner of an unrestored car will just replace the decal that didn't last the years
Jeff Speegle

Offline livetoride60

Have a pic?

The later decal has been reproduced for many years.

Your guess is as good as mine...   :)
'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6

Offline steve_f

I'm going to say that your decal looks like remnants of a reproduction. The font looks too bold and the word antifreeze for example is hyphenated vs. the original being all one word without hyphenation.
Steve
Steve
1965 (15S) San Jose Mustang GT Fastback (sold)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Took livetoride60's posted pictures and compared them to the pretty clear pictures of his and there are a dozen or so differences. Some may be a result of the lifting and crinkling while others appear to just be a poor reproduction that used "current" (when ever it was made) fonts which pushed words and letters around. A common issue when reproducing

I took both and placed two areas in the picture below for comparison. Lines hopefully help focus on just some of the differences. Also notice that after years of use livetoride60's  example is very shinny

Jeff Speegle