Author Topic: Information on the Competition Handling Package  (Read 13001 times)

Offline RocketScientist

Information on the Competition Handling Package
« on: December 20, 2010, 08:34:21 AM »
I am curious about the Competition Handling Package as I have never seen pictures of a GT with this option. I was wondering if anyone has any pics/information about this option?
Did it produce a performace or handling improvement?
Did Ford have specific parts for this option or did they use parts already in inventory from some other model?
Thanks, Brad.

Offline 67gta289

Re: Information on the Competition Handling Package
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 08:55:00 AM »
In about 1983 I ran across an original owner of a 67 dark green, black interior fastback, 289 K, 4 speed, with the competition handling package.  I was tooling around in my GTA around Dearborn and we pulled into the Dearborn Inn parking lot by the proving grounds.  He had about 35k miles and pointed out the 15 inch wheels with hubcaps.  He also pointed out that he had the original spare tire and it had never been on the road.  Unfortunately I did not write down nor do I remember the details on the spare tire, but the owner did say that the hubcaps were Thunderbird or Thunderbird-like.  My understanding from various sources, and which thus might not be accurate, is that this is the same suspension that the Shelby's would get.  On the assembly line, I would bet that a car with this option would have the key suspension components coded on the build sheet exactly like a Shelby, including front/rear shocks & springs, as well as sway bar...possibly wheels/tires also since the base Shelby had hub caps. It would be interesting to hear how many were actually produced.  According to early Ford publications, the GT package was a prerequisite, so theoretically someone with a 289-2V GT/GTA could have ordered it - although not likely.  There were probably far more Shelby's with this suspension than "regular" Mustangs. John
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 04:08:44 PM »
In about 1983 I ran across an original owner of a 67 dark green, black interior fastback, 289 K, 4 speed, with the competition handling package.  I was tooling around in my GTA around Dearborn and we pulled into the Dearborn Inn parking lot by the proving grounds.  He had about 35k miles and pointed out the 15 inch wheels with hubcaps.  He also pointed out that he had the original spare tire and it had never been on the road.  Unfortunately I did not write down nor do I remember the details on the spare tire, but the owner did say that the hubcaps were Thunderbird or Thunderbird-like.  My understanding from various sources, and which thus might not be accurate, is that this is the same suspension that the Shelby's would get.  On the assembly line, I would bet that a car with this option would have the key suspension components coded on the build sheet exactly like a Shelby, including front/rear shocks & springs, as well as sway bar...possibly wheels/tires also since the base Shelby had hub caps. It would be interesting to hear how many were actually produced.  According to early Ford publications, the GT package was a prerequisite, so theoretically someone with a 289-2V GT/GTA could have ordered it - although not likely.  There were probably far more Shelby's with this suspension than "regular" Mustangs. John
A friend ( R+A Motorsports) has such a car in his shop only nightmist blue. It was a very original car to begin with before the restoration . It still had the complete original assemblyline Ford exhaust as will as the assemblyline 4201 hipo fuel pump among the most notable . These often replaced items helped to corroborate the original overall status of the rest of the car.  The differences in suspension between it and a Shelby I noticed were it didn't have the Shelby 15/16 sway bar ,or adjustable shocks.  I also noticed it didn't have the thicker wire variable rate front coil spring that the Shelby had. It did have the same rear leaf spring however. The tires were a high speed rated 15" tire according to the Marti but because of the way the speed rated tires are described on the Marti report I am not sure if they were the Shelby small letter speedway tires or not. I wish I knew. The wheel covers are a another mystery . We speculated that the T bird hubcaps would also be the most likely canadate but with which center? Hopefully we will find out someday. The car is just about ready for the owner to pick up. Bob   
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 11:34:32 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 08:07:07 PM »
Had one (67 GTA) many years ago and have talked to a couple of original owners of these cars with this rare option. Must say that the car I had handled very differently than a regular GT or GTA. Autocrossed it a number of times so I did get to test the limits ;)

My car had had the shocks changed but two of the original owners I talked to described the adjustable shocks like/similar to the Shelbys in 67

Though there have been a few articles written about these some IMHO of the info is incorrect

For hubcaps owners have always discribed the T bird spoked style ones

Tires were listed in the window sticker as 6.50/9.70x15 Sport 200 Nylon

Option was $388.53

« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 02:06:51 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline qman

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 08:43:59 PM »
Here are some items that I'm fairly sure represent the competition package:
-Gabriel adjustable shocks with Ford parts number
-15 inch wheels and Firestone sport car 200 tires
-tires rated at 140mph
-galaxy hubcaps with red ford centercaps
- rearends could be open or closed and were not limited to a specific ratio
-140 speedometer and 8 grand tach ( this was on my car but I'm not sure this was part of the comp suspension package)
-different springs front and rear. I don't know what markings came on these springs, maybe someone can help us out

This topic has been discussed on the hipo K code website. Just go to the site and in the search box type in competition suspension. It's true there is a lot of misconceptions about the competition suspension option. I need to go through some other records and try to get some more info.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 10:17:36 PM »
 My Ford sales information says that Competiton Handling Package included :
Extra-stiff front and rear springs
Special,adjustableshock absorbers, Front and rear
Extra heavy stabilizer bar
Fast, 16 to 1 manualsteering gear
6 inch rims
6.50/ 6.70x 15 Super Sport Tires
Unique wheel covers

I have a Friend that lives in Dubuque IA. his name is Clint Johnson he own this beautiful 67 S code convertible that has the competition handling package. Marty

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 11:41:25 PM »
My Ford sales information says that Competiton Handling Package included :
Extra-stiff front and rear springs
Special,adjustableshock absorbers, Front and rear
Extra heavy stabilizer bar
Fast, 16 to 1 manualsteering gear
6 inch rims
6.50/ 6.70x 15 Super Sport Tires
Unique wheel covers

I have a Friend that lives in Dubuque IA. his name is Clint Johnson he own this beautiful 67 S code convertible that has the competition handling package. Marty
Would you mind posting a scan or picture of your original Ford Sales information? It would be helpful to verify the information for my friend who is restoring a car.We have only been able to get word of mouth or later contemporary book articles that's information is suspect. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 09:30:26 AM »
Bob,
This was a sales booklet that sat on a sales persons desk. The customer saw one side while the sales person read the other side. Marty

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 03:45:38 PM »
I have judged a 67 GT big block convertible 2 times that had the competition handling package. I talked at great lengths with the owner (he personally directed the restoration) about the uniqueness of this option. His research/build sheet point to all of the features that Marty has from the sales/order information. There was nothing on the build sheet to better identify the tires other than as 6.50/ 6.70 x 15 tires. Same thing with the hub caps. The build sheet engineering number/stripes for the front/rear springs were consistent with the GT-500 ones.

Who knows what Ford's intention was with this option! I tend to agree with Bob that the tires were the Goodyear small letter tires, like what came on the Shelbys. Also I think the hubcaps are very similar to the Shelby hubcaps...don't remember if those are the t-bird or galaxy style.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »
Marty,Thank you very much for posting that info. It was extremely helpful and informative. Given the information in the vintage Ford Sales booklet on this Competition suspension and the fact that the adjustable shocks carried a C7ZF engineering prefix number instead of a S7MS Shelby unique number, would explain how a adjustable shock could find its way on a regular Mustang. Although a very original low mileage example the car being restored at R+A could have had its shocks replaced as was a common custom for dealers to push back in the day to get extra revenue during a oil change ,alignment visit etc. Or they could have been left off by mistake at Ford on such a oddball low volume Mustang option I guess. The tires called for in the booklet use the Metric size designation instead of the E 70 15 used on the Shelby . The Marti report for the car at R+A specifically indicates a " blackwall" tire which would further support the use of a different tire then the Shelby. Jeff at R+A seems to think that the wheel covers used on the 15 wheel are the T bird hubcap wire wheel version with a Mustang emblem in the center. The other possible type is the T Bird spoke wheel cover used on the Shelby which would seem to conflict with the Shelby's exclusive sales image IMHO.  Bob   
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 07:52:25 PM by Bob Gaines »

Offline T Lea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 07:06:40 PM »
I remember a very well optioned convertible in high school that a friends father bought new and it had the 15" wire wheel hubcaps with blackwall tires

Offline qman

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 07:20:08 PM »
My 67 k code vert came with competition suspension.  I've talked to the original owner several times asking about different aspects of the car. Awhile back he sent me a fax showing the hubcaps...they were Galaxy caps.  Hope this adds to the info regarding competition suspension.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 10:52:42 PM »
My Friend Clint Johnson said the hub caps that were on his car pictured above were Galaxy.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 11:37:37 PM »
Bob the wire hubcap on 67 Comp suspension cars I believe came from an old Heasley (s?) article back in the early 90's. Really have not found any support and don't think they fit the description ;) for a sporty or competition car of the period.

The window sticker I have does not have a metric description of the tires
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 12:35:57 AM »

The window sticker I have does not have a metric description of the tires
OK I will pull out the pry bar :D . Hey Jeff what tire description does the window sticker that you have give? Bob