Author Topic: Fuel sender ring finish  (Read 733 times)

Offline Jaybart68

Fuel sender ring finish
« on: March 29, 2020, 01:41:33 AM »
Hi,

Does anyone know for sure what the finish on the fuel sender ring was originally. I find mostly zinc but have seen 2 listings that show dichromate.

For 67, 390 in case it matteres (I think it was the same for all but always ready to learn).
Thanks,

Jay.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 01:54:18 AM by Jaybart68 »
Jay Barthel

1967 (12/22/66, Dearborn GT Fastback, 390-4V, DSO 41, 4 speed manual, standard black interior, ext. Decor, Raven Black, +options)

Offline RoyceP

Re: Fuel sender ring finish
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 10:03:24 AM »
Actually they were galvanized originally. Reproductions are something like cadmium or zinc plated.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 10:04:00 AM »
I would expect to see the silver zinc.

"Actually they were galvanized originally. Reproductions are something like cadmium or zinc plated." Royce I guess that would make sense since the tank was galvanized. Was the sender galvanized too?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 10:15:05 AM by ruppstang »

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 11:19:58 AM »
Senders are galvanized too - originally. Service parts may vary.

"Actually they were galvanized originally. Reproductions are something like cadmium or zinc plated." Royce I guess that would make sense since the tank was galvanized. Was the sender galvanized too?
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 02:25:34 PM »
+1. I have seen many hundreds of the senders on original cars ,junk yards etc.over the years.  I have found a overwhelming number of the rings corroded substantially more so then the galvanized face of the senders . I have also taken apart many to get to the original assemblyline sender where the outside was rusted but the inside surface of the ring was protected and not degraded still silver zinc not galvanized . The difference in the outside appearance for similar steel base material indicates the protective plating was different between the two. Sometime both parts were rusted in that case no help. The zinc does not hold up as well as the galvanizing. Zinc silver was used in early service packets (by packaging) that I have purchased therefore that plating of zinc is the most logical assumption for the original ring also IMHO. I have a high confidence level that the rings were zinc silver and not galvanized or zinc gold .  Just my opinion .Others may have different opinions.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 03:21:48 PM »
Agree that IMHO no way were they originally galvanized but a zinc base. Have found a fair number that still had goldish tint on the protected surfaces where they were not as exposed to the elements as much as the other areas more exposed. May have been two finishes or the dichromate didn't hold up well as usual. If reviewing tor judging the car I guess I would not take a silver zinc finish as a negative but would at least discuss the possibilities.   Just my experiences - very confident in what I recall seeing though others may have different experiences

Will see (when time allows) if I have any pictures - -believe I do
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 03:29:14 PM »
 Another feature I have found on assembly line retainer ring is the letter H stamped in the lip. I agree Clear Zinc was typical. I have not seen any Dichromate on original rings.

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 04:30:55 PM »
Photo attached.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion