Author Topic: Repair pictures of GT500 Horn Wiring - Broken Within Steering Wheel Hub  (Read 824 times)

Offline kkupec02

People have asked for pictures regarding the wiring fix when a wire within the steering wheel hub looses contact with the underside horn ring. First time I attempted this fix , but it worked. I lost 1 of the 2 wire contacts due to a short. I used a combination square to line up a hole from inside the hub to go through the epoxy between the inner and outer ring. I drilled a hole in the hub first. Then drilled a hole in the epoxy between the inner and outer stainless steel rings. Success!! I connected them first try!! But found out the the inner ring which is the one I lost contact in is an upside down L, which Bob Gaines had told me. Unfortunately, the leg points outward. Tough to weld to the underside of an upside down L. So, I used a Dremmel to drill out the epoxy under the inner ring to come out the flat side near the spline hole where I could put a dab of weld. The stainless steel rings must have been kind of floated in the epoxy at the factory. Mine are actually slightly off level from when they set them at the factory. I got connectivity back in both rings. I then took about 4 or 5 applications to slowly fill in the hole leaving no air pockets with a 2 part grey JB Weld epoxy. I used a soda can piece sprayed in Pam to maintain the spline hole spacing and to make sure epoxy didn't stick to the can. The drilled hub hole is now filled in from the underside. Epoxy ring areas are filled in. Rings now ready for a final polish and dialectic grease. Hub wire ready for a bullet connection. Thanks Bob Gaines for walking me through the process.     
1967 GT500 Built 1/26/67 #817
1967 Corvette Roadster

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Thanks for sharing. Sure the post will help others in similar situations
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

Looks good. "Mickey Mouse" repairs can work.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.