Author Topic: 66 GT350 shock question  (Read 4853 times)

Offline dbm350

66 GT350 shock question
« on: January 03, 2011, 10:46:20 PM »
   I have a set of adjustable Gabriel Stryders that I want to install. I am told that they are very similar to the original shocks used on the 66 GT350's. If this is the case, what is the proper color to paint them?  Paint code?   Name of color? Picture?    Thanks, Doug

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 66 GT350 shock question
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 12:41:37 AM »
   I have a set of adjustable Gabriel Stryders that I want to install. I am told that they are very similar to the original shocks used on the 66 GT350's. If this is the case, what is the proper color to paint them?  Paint code?   Name of color? Picture?    Thanks, Doug
For those others reading I copied my response to Doug that I posted on the SAAC forum.   -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: dbm350 on Today at 09:12:00 PM
   Bob,  The car is a early to mid April build - 1938.   I was thinking they should be blue , but now I am really confused as to the color.   Doug

Doug, it is a confusing subject that isn't completly figured out. Early shocks were orange as if they didn't want anyone to notice the phasing out of the Koni's IMHO , then blue ( lighter blue then the 68 early 69 shock color) , then very late production black . Some very early 67's even used the same 66 FOMOCO adjustable shocks. I have observed several that had FOMOCO on one side and C7ZA Autolite on the other. If it were my car I would paint them the blue . Bob

Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline dbm350

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 12:29:05 PM »
    Bob,   Thanks for the info.  I have posted another question about this on the SSAC forum.  Doug

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 09:53:31 PM »
Here is an example of the ones we color matched to a set of originals I found that needed restoring

Hope it helps

One of the originals - color is not the best in the picture

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 07:18:32 AM »
It's my understanding that rear shocks on Special Handling cars had green daubs of paint on them. Would this have been true of GT350's as well?
'66 6-cylinder Sprint Convertible
Metuchen - Scheduled May 10th; Built June 21st

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 10:32:37 PM »
It's my understanding that rear shocks on Special Handling cars had green daubs of paint on them. Would this have been true of GT350's as well?
I have never seen anything like evidence of paint marking on the 66 blue shocks(or the other 66 GT350 colors) . I haven't found any remnants of paint identification on the 68 -early 69 darker blue Shelby shocks ether. The white Shelby shock had a black daub . Bob 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 12:01:34 AM »

Haven't seen what I would call a green daub on Special Handling shocks and  have not found the 66 Shelby shocks marked with a daub like the 67's or late 69's. Think the blue color on the shocks would have been enough of an identifier on the 66 ones a worker would not need any additional help  ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 12:38:39 AM »
Haven't seen what I would call a green daub on Special Handling shocks and  have not found the 66 Shelby shocks marked with a daub like the 67's or late 69's. Think the blue color on the shocks would have been enough of an identifier on the 66 ones a worker would not need any additional help  ;)
+1. good point. Bob

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 07:58:09 AM »
Thanks.

The remark on the SHP green daubs is from a discussion with Bob Perkins.
'66 6-cylinder Sprint Convertible
Metuchen - Scheduled May 10th; Built June 21st

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 01:33:20 PM »
The proper ID color IMHO for those shocks would be more of a Teal than a green. Maybe the difference of opinion comes down to just what we've seen, remember or term we used to describe the same color
Jeff Speegle