Author Topic: 69 shelby (June built) spindles  (Read 4102 times)

Offline specialed

Re: 69 shelby (June built) spindles
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2020, 08:47:49 AM »
We have a Shelby in shop now with same pair of spindles that cob428 has and both cars are built same week. Cob428 did an older resto years ago and may have removed the double wire wrap (like I did on a car 20 years ago thinking it served no purpose until I started documenting the wire ID wrap on big suspension spindles). The car in shop now was partially restored back in the 80s and probly restorer removed the  wire wraps also.  So we now know we can document some c8oa spindles were machined for big suspension rotors.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2020, 02:12:00 PM »
We have a Shelby in shop now with same pair of spindles that cob428 has and both cars are built same week. Cob428 did an older resto years ago and may have removed the double wire wrap (like I did on a car 20 years ago thinking it served no purpose until I started documenting the wire ID wrap on big suspension spindles). The car in shop now was partially restored back in the 80s and probly restorer removed the  wire wraps also.  So we now know we can document some c8oa spindles were machined for big suspension rotors.
Not ever seeing any that I was aware of were the special C8OA spindles also machined for the larger diameter big suspension tie rod ends?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 03:01:15 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline specialed

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2020, 01:21:16 PM »
I have had request for odd 69 spindles because I think more cars had remachined c8oa spindles on rh side without knowing that since most guys are only looking kkx and doza spindles so I put a post on B0SS 302 site since 69 b2s were built on same Dearborn assembly line as the 69 shelbys. Just got photo of a rh wire wrapped c8oa spindle with the wire still attached on early june built 69 b9 and it has kkx on lh side so that's 3 69 cars now documented with that odd spindle combo built early june 69.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2020, 03:00:38 PM »
I have had request for odd 69 spindles because I think more cars had remachined c8oa spindles on rh side without knowing that since most guys are only looking kkx and doza spindles so I put a post on B0SS 302 site since 69 b2s were built on same Dearborn assembly line as the 69 shelbys. Just got photo of a rh wire wrapped c8oa spindle with the wire still attached on early june built 69 b9 and it has kkx on lh side so that's 3 69 cars now documented with that odd spindle combo built early june 69.
Were the special C8OA spindles also machined for the larger diameter big suspension tie rod ends?Did you forget to answer my question?
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2020, 08:59:24 PM »
Just an FYI, item of possible interest

For the record the service replacements in the ad show the D0ZA-3107-C casting. One has a wire wrapped loosely around the up right and the other lacks the wire
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline specialed

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2020, 09:59:20 AM »
To answer your ? mr gaines  Yes of course the c8oa spindles (along with the doza and kkx spindles) when machined from blanks had the tierod hole machined for bigger( dodz ) 69 boss Shelby big suspension tie rod stud holes along with the machined area of the bearing shaft stud to accept the new special f-60-15 rotors. The tierod hole is tapered when machined and is bigger diameter hole on top and bottom of spindle hole and that's why the new (dodz) tierods have a special grease boot (dodz) because the hole diameter in grease boot is bigger to accept the new bigger diameter tierod stud that also has a bigger size castle nut.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2020, 01:15:50 PM »
To answer your ? mr gaines  Yes of course the c8oa spindles (along with the doza and kkx spindles) when machined from blanks had the tierod hole machined for bigger( dodz ) 69 boss Shelby big suspension tie rod stud holes along with the machined area of the bearing shaft stud to accept the new special f-60-15 rotors. The tierod hole is tapered when machined and is bigger diameter hole on top and bottom of spindle hole and that's why the new (dodz) tierods have a special grease boot (dodz) because the hole diameter in grease boot is bigger to accept the new bigger diameter tierod stud that also has a bigger size castle nut.
That was my assumption but not ever seeing a C8OA marked modified spindle before it was best to get confirmation from someone who had. It is easy to tell the larger tie rods when they have to be used because of the larger castle (compared to smaller suspension tie rod nut) nut needed like I refereed to in reply #27.