Author Topic: Another 69 GT500 undercariage question  (Read 4177 times)

Offline frankishelby

Another 69 GT500 undercariage question
« on: February 10, 2011, 05:28:32 PM »
Hi, I'm restoring a 1969 GT-500 presently I am ready to finish the undercariage . I have some questions.
First: what is the sequence about sealer, primer(red oxide) and overspray?
Second:does the sealer along the floor pan ,around the rear frame rails are applyed with brush or with  a special gun?
third:It is possible that some sealers are applyed in first and other are applyed at the end?
In a mustang monthly of april 1989 ,there is  1970 boss 302 owned by Bob Perkins with only 1500 mile and we can see the sealer at the rear frame rails (rear torque box)page 52,  that sealer seams applied with brush after the overspray was done, and same thing along the rocker panel where the floor pan is welded.

Someone have pics about an original unrestored undercarriage please

thank's
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 12:36:43 AM by J_Speegle »
1967 GT-350 (1427)
1967 convertible (67 shelby clone project for my wife)
1992 LX special edition feature car red edition convertible

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: another undercariage question
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 09:11:36 PM »
Hi, I'm restoring a 1969 GT-500 presently I am ready to finish the undercariage . I have some questions.
First: what is the sequence about sealer, primer(red oxide) and overspray?

Noticed you mentioned red oxide - is that for the floor or for the firewall forward?

I ask since most of the year it appears that they used batch color rather than red oxide for the floors though we have identified two periods where they did use the red oxide for a while

Guess the first question should always be (since we know where it was built ;) when was it built?

Discussing only the undercarriage (plenty of other details can get in the way) seam sealers were applied after the floor pans were painted. Rear wheelwell sound deadener was applied before exterior color (overspray from that application can typically be seen on the inner frame, some floor or gas tank drop near by to the wheelwell) then over the overspray pinch weld black out overspray

Typically, for 69 Dearborn, we'll find the pinchweld to floor seam, inner seat belt anchor points and the trunk drop to quarterpanel weld line (on the inner surface) sealed.

Noticed you mentioned a 70 - please try and use cars from the same plant - same year - same week or month for references. Too many variables IMHO when you get off focus

Second:does the sealer along the floor pan ,around the rear frame rails are applyed with brush or with  a special gun?
third:It is possible that some sealers are applyed in first and other are applyed at the end?

For seam sealers the base was typically smeared with a rag or a brush dipped in a solvent

Someone have pics about an original unrestored undercarriage please

If you provide a build date or a VIN we can post some pictures from cars from that period hopefully
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline frankishelby

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 11:45:09 PM »
the car was built 1969 january 21st at Dearborn. By the way when my friend bought the shelby,it was a project and the undercariage and engine compatment was sand blasted so we don't know about the originality, if it was painted with batch paint or red oxide??? and we want to duplicate the closest way it was done.

thank's a lot.
1967 GT-350 (1427)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 11:47:02 PM »
With that Ford build date my vote would be the batch paint. :)
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 12:36:16 AM »
the car was built 1969 january 21st at Dearborn. ..................

So somewhere around #480310-320 or #151000-154000 for a regular Mustang

Agree with Bob it was likely a batch color car (a mixture of primer and left over exterior colors typically resulting in a medium - dark gray with a blue or green tint

Two  versions from about the same time

This one happens to have been taken near one of the seat belt anchors - it will give you an idea of how heavy the sealer was applied at that point on this specific car

This was applied from approx the floor pan (from bottom of the firewall) reward. And a red oxide (not the flat chalky stuff but epoxy red oxide colored primer sealer) from the firewall forward. The front wheelwell finish is another thing ;) but remember front wheelwells were treated differently on Shelbys than Mustangs that year

Some earlier threads that might help - Search is your friend ;)

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=2190.msg11125#msg11125

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=10.0

A shot of the rocker to floor sealer (not the greatest)  followed by one with the product highlighted. It appears that during your cars period at the Ford plant one of the workers extended (not seen on all cars) the sealant along the front edge of the rear spring mount

Shot of the rear trunk drop. Like some of this sealer over time it tends to dry and drop off - its hard to make out the traces of what remains in the picture so I highlighted another. Its (like the rocker to floor and the seat belt anchors, was  a black smooth chalking that was spread out by hand

Finally - don't forget the dolly marks. They should be the first concern so that all the paints that follow lay correctly and create originally looking marks

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 12:38:18 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline frankishelby

Re: Another 69 GT500 undercariage question
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 01:52:06 PM »
 :)
thank you very much,

Frank
1967 GT-350 (1427)