Author Topic: Original Factory Availability of Low Profile Rally Pacs for Late 1965 Mustangs  (Read 12649 times)

Offline RRod

My June built convert Was ordered on April 28th and has a low profile Rallt pack from tje factory.
Do you happen to know if it was originally color painted "from the factory" to match the interior?

Offline Murf

Q.  "when you mentioned the tach on the trip started to cut out, did you mean the car started to die and would not run?"

A.  Yes, it mis-fired and stumbled and the tach needle became erratic for a minute or so before quitting and would not restart.  The tach is wired in series with the coil and when the tach circuit becomes "open" the coil is left with no voltage input and you are dead in the water.
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
Do you happen to know if it was originally color painted "from the factory" to match the interior?

Yes it is a white colored body to match the column and dash color.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline RRod

Yes it is a white colored body to match the column and dash color.
Thanks mgmradio for the info on your June 1965 Built Mustang.

Does anyone else have any additioanl hard evidence of a mid-May 1965 built car that came with a factory painted low profile rally pac instead of just black?

Thank you.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
The '65 GT convertible I restored about 5 years ago had a blue rally-pac in it when I bought it.  By all accounts it appeared to be original, but I cannot say with 100% certainty.  The crinkle paint was blue all the way through, which would be uncommon for someone to replicate later on.  It was a Dearborn car, 24S scheduled build date.  Based on some sheet metal dates I found, I believe the car was built a few days later, possibly up to a week or so late.  When I restored the car, all I did was touch up the blue on the rally-pac and restore the rest of the pieces.  Pics here:  http://www.early-mustang.com/charles/vert/6_20/

The car is now near the Los Angeles area in CA.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline RRod

The '65 GT convertible I restored about 5 years ago had a blue rally-pac in it when I bought it.  By all accounts it appeared to be original, but I cannot say with 100% certainty.  The crinkle paint was blue all the way through, which would be uncommon for someone to replicate later on.  It was a Dearborn car, 24S scheduled build date.  Based on some sheet metal dates I found, I believe the car was built a few days later, possibly up to a week or so late.  When I restored the car, all I did was touch up the blue on the rally-pac and restore the rest of the pieces.  Pics here:  http://www.early-mustang.com/charles/vert/6_20/

The car is now near the Los Angeles area in CA.
Looks like you did a very nice job on the restoration ..... Since my May 12th 1965 date was a transition period by most accounts, I'll leave mine black for now ..... the two local MCA judges I contacted say color alone would not cost me points either way on a pre-mid-June 65 car, FWIW.

Wish I had a time machine to go back and see what was really happening on the assembly lines in mid-65 (among other things in the world) ;)

Thanks very much for your feedback.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 10:09:22 PM by RRod »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
..... the two local MCA judges I contacted say color alone would not cost me points either way on a pre-mid-June 65 car, FWIW.

Yep, I would agree with them.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin