Author Topic: Deck lid weatherstrip picture  (Read 10825 times)

Offline Angela

Deck lid weatherstrip picture
« on: April 08, 2011, 05:14:38 PM »
Does anyone out there own a car with the original deck lid weatherstrip still installed? In the 67 assembly manual they call out a C7ZZ part number for the deck lid seal. However, the picture they provide, IMO, is actually showing the C5ZZ weatherstrip. From that I can tell, the 65-66 deck lid seal has a "slit" in it or put another way sort of has a "C" shape to it. The 67-68 C7ZZ seal, as reproduced by Daniel Carpenter, however, has a trapezoidal shape and looks completely different. So, I don't know which seal is actually correct for my 67 deck lid: the "C" shaped seal shown in the body assembly manual or the trapezoidal C7ZZ seal sold by Carpenter.

Can anyone provide a picture of their deck lid installed with this weatherstrip???

If the trapezoidal seal is correct for 1967, I don't know if the narrow or wide edge of the seal is to be glued to the deck lid. I need help. :-)

Offline Angela

Re: Deck lid weatherstrip picture
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 01:33:24 PM »
Wow, I am so glad I found this website. I had participated in the vmf since 2003 but had not figured out where you guys had gone. The vmf has not been much help lately.

Anyway, I looked at an unrestored 68 convertable, built less than 1 month after my 67, both at SanJose. The convert has the "C" shaped deck lid weatherstrip as shown in the 1967 assembly manual. I remain puzzled, since the C-shaped seal appears to be a C5ZZ part, whereas the C7 part number called out in the assembly manual is a trapezoidal shaped seal.

Does anyone know if the convert received a different seal than fastbacks?

Does anyone own a 1967 that could post a picture of their decklid seal? I really would appreciate some help figuring out which seal is correct for 67 SanJose fastback decklids.

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 01:49:51 PM »
For all 67s & 68s, the seal should be the C-shaped version. I have never seen the other one used for these year mustangs.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 02:00:42 PM »
Everybody tells me that you want the "CARPENTER" made ones if you ever want the deck lid to close again.
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 02:27:05 PM »
convertibles/coupes use a different seal than fastbacks. Its actually serviced by a C0 (1960) part #
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Angela

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 04:25:59 PM »
Pete, thanks for your help but your statement confuses me. Every supplier I have called, including those that sell Daniel Carpenter seals, tell me the following:
C0MB-6443720-C 1964-70 Coupe and convertable
C5ZZ-6343720-B 1965-66 Fastback
C7ZZ-6343720-B 1967-68 Fastback

The above info seems to imply that the fastback took a different seal than coupes and converts. Every instance of the C7ZZ part, including the DC seal, have a trapezoidal shape. Are you 100% positive that even the 67 fastback did NOT use the trap-shaped seal?

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 10:58:53 PM »
Are you 100% positive that even the 67 fastback did NOT use the trap-shaped seal?
I don't know if Pete is but I am   ;D

Offline Angela

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 09:50:07 AM »
OK, thanks tlea. Can you explain what makes you 100% certain that the C7ZZ decklid seal that is specifically called out in the 1967 assembly manual, for fastbacks only, is incorrect? I am very curious!

To be clear, you and Pete believe that the C7ZZ seal that's called for in the assembly manual should be ignored for all 67 body types; i.e. all assembly lines including SanJose used the C-shaped seal for all 67 mustangs regardless of body style????

Do you have a picture, or could you take a picture, of this seal installed on a fastback decklid? I would really appreciate the help while trying to glue down my seal.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 11:44:03 AM »
I'm curious where you are seeing a "C7ZZ" number in the assembly manual?  That's a part number for ordering a replacement part from Ford, not an engineering number.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 01:12:51 PM »
OK lets try this again. I'm not saying seals are plant specific at all. Convertible/coupes use the C shape, fastbacks use what I would call a teardrop shape if sliced as a section. Assembly manuals are fine as a reference but if you are using them to determine what is correct you will be in for a lot of surprises.

Offline Angela

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 02:26:07 PM »
TLea, I did not mean to put words in your mouth. Thanks for the clarification.

Charles, I'll need to try and scan my assembly manual to indicate where I found the part numbers. They are printed in a "zoomed-in" view of the weatherstrip on a page showing detail of the rear bumper and deck lid assemblies.

Within this thread it appears to me that the census is that the trapezoidal weatherstrip was not used in 67. Attached are two crude images that show the detail of the C5 and C7ZZ seals for 65-66 and 67-68 fastback decklids, accordingly. The C7ZZ part number is what is shipped when I order the 67 Daniel Carpenter weatherstrip from NPD (the older made in USA version, not the offshore repro that appears to be sold most recently).

Are either of these two seals similar to what you guys believe would have been originally installed for a 67 fastback?

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 04:51:53 PM »
Are you 100% positive that even the 67 fastback did NOT use the trap-shaped seal?

Yes I am 100% sure. Fastbacks did use a different seal; it was different by length, not by shape.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 05:22:46 PM »
correct me if i am wrong but were not those seals cut from a bulk roll of material??
5F09C331248

Offline Angela

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 06:22:31 PM »
If everyone is certain that the trapezoidal seal was NOT used in 1967, could someone please tell me where you're buying the correct seal? I have contacted everyone from NPD to Mansfield to Mustang's plus, etc etc and all distributors sell the C7ZZ seal for 67 fastback and that seal is trapezoidal. I'm not sure who else to call. I confirmed with each of these distributors that they were speaking of the Daniel Carpenter product.

Help?

Offline sparky65

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 06:42:59 PM »
Check out this topic:
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=891.msg4615#

What I bought from NPD was the C shape for a coupe.  It sounds like maybe the parts vendors maybe dont have the years and body styles quite right.  If what everyone else is saying is correct (something I know nothing about), I don't see why you can't buy the coupe piece instead.  It should be plenty long for a smaller fastback deck lid I would think.
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe