Author Topic: Radio Supression (Condenser?)  (Read 17401 times)

Offline htpratt

Radio Supression (Condenser?)
« on: November 07, 2009, 03:00:42 PM »
Where Can I buy a radio suppression (Condenser??) that attaches to the voltage regulator that will stop the static on my original AM radio in my '65 coupe?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Radio Supression (Condenser?)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 07:12:27 PM »
They pop up on Ebay from time to time and some of the dealers sometimes have them. They are either taken from the kit or included as part of a NOS one.

Other option would be an original (have to be real careful of the wire as they are brittle after all these years)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 07:36:58 PM »
at one time, and i do not remember who, but there was a fellow over on the hi-po forum who had a few of these for sale. you may try and see what turns up.
5F09C331248

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 12:52:46 AM »
Where Can I buy a radio suppression (Condenser??) that attaches to the voltage regulator that will stop the static on my original AM radio in my '65 coupe?
You may already know this but in case you don't or for someone else who my stumble onto this thread- the 65 radio suppressor condenser was mounted onto the alternator in 65 and so had a specific mounting ear made onto the condenser. The 66 on up style mounted to a grounded screw by the regulator and had a different style mounting ear. The 65 style suppressor does not come up for sale often like the 66 -up style does. The 65 style is harder to find because there were less made and even less still around and as Jeff said when you find one be extremely careful of the wire . I have had more then a few break off in my hand after removing one from a alternator. Bob
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 12:55:02 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 09:46:52 AM »
There are some for the regulator currently for sale on Ebay from the Mustang Corral Inc. Store.

Dave

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370234122546
65 Coupe Dearborn Scheduled Build July 9,1965 289/C4
66 Sprint Conv. Dearborn Scheduled Build May 13, 1966 200/C4

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 09:55:41 AM »
There are some for the regulator currently for sale on Ebay from the Mustang Corral Inc. Store.

Dave

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370234122546
The one in the auction is the later 66 up style(don't know Ford stopped using that style) and is nomally silver like the 65 style in the picture I posted.Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 02:39:36 PM »
Your right Bob, Iv'e got 66 on the brain, my July 65 has the original silver one on the alternator. My May 66 has the one on the voltage regulator.
Dave

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 08:02:38 PM »
You may already know this but in case you don't or for someone else who my stumble onto this thread- the 65 radio suppressor condenser was mounted onto the alternator in 65 and so had a specific mounting ear made onto the condenser. The 66 on up style mounted to a grounded screw by the regulator and had a different style mounting ear.  Bob
[/quote]
Bob,
You are right about the one mounted on a '65 Alternator, but I'm fairly certain that a '65 also had the one by the voltage regulator.  The assembly manual shows both for a '65, and the original harnesses certainly had the pigtail for one.  Here is a picture of the voltage regulator plug from an original headlight harness from a July '65 car (earlier cars have this wire also.)  Note that this wire is missing the red tag that should be there also.  I'm just wondering why two would have been used.

-Brant

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 08:32:59 PM »
Will you guys got me wondering so I went out and looked at my July 65 coupe. I have one in both places. Both are original FOMOCO pcs. Could this be correct? My 65 was my first restoration so I didn't have other parts laying around. ???
Dave

Online Murf

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 09:07:58 PM »
As far as I know, all early Mustangs with an alternator had a pigtail in the harness for an RFI condenser at the pigtail for the voltage regulator.  This was to "supress" the static from the regulator points opening and shutting.  RFI was a shortcut buzz word af that time for Radio Frequency Interference.  In 1965 there was the very visible condenser mounted externally on the alternator and was there to supress RFI caused by the alternator.  Remember, alternators were at that time about equal to multiplexing of electrical circuits in todays world.  The condenser on the alternator is identified by the large mounting tab and on the end opposite of the pigtail it has the C5TA-18827-A Ford engineering  number stamped on it.  Look at an original one on the closed end and you will see this engineering number plainly embossed.  In 1966 the Mustangs still had the RFI condenser located at the voltage regulator location, still had the red tag to identify what the pigtail was, and as far as I know used the same condenser.  However, in 66 the condenser for the alternator RFI was moved INSIDE of the alternator.  You must take the alteernator apart to find it, and then it will be difficult to recognize as a a condenser, but it is there.  So nothing really changed much, but the obvious condenser on the 65 Mustangs was relocated within the alternator.  And you are all correct when you say the 65 external condensers are difficult to find.  As an aside, it is possible to replate them with no damage to the electrical function.  I have had several done in zinc plating along with other odds and ends and they have continued to work for years and looked as new.  I am pretty sure they have no function other than supressing the alternator "whine" in the AM radio when listening to a distant station and that the charging system will be happy with or without the condenser.  T sum up this rather lengthy explination, the 65 production with alternators AND WITH A RADIO had two external and visible condensors, one at the voltage regulator and one mounted on the alternator.  The 66 production cars WITH A RADIO had only one visible condenser, and it was mounted adjacent to the voltage regulator.  Both the 65 and 66 Mustangs had the red tag looped around the wire harness pigtail to identify it as being used for a radio interference supression condenser.  Cars without a radio DID NOT use this wire harness pigtail for anything - it just hung there.
       Brant, I sent you a couple of images of the details on the 65 RFI condenser mounted to the alternator with the FORD engineering numbers shown in detail.  Post these if you think others would be interested in how they were mounted and how they were identified by Ford in the day.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 09:39:37 PM by Murf »
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 11:17:17 PM »
That was certainly a good explanation why there would be two condensers in 1965. Bob

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 03:33:10 AM »
If someone would post pictures it would be great. Would definitely like to see the red tag on the wiring harness you guys are talking about. Thanks for all this good information
Dave

Offline Brant

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 09:10:34 AM »
John,

As always, thank you so much for the explanation!  Here are John's pictures:

Offline Brant

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 09:18:15 AM »
Dave,

I'll get some pictures later on today of an original red tag along with the reproduction that is available, so you can see the difference also.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 03:34:04 PM »
Here is a picture (almost out of the picture) of an original paper tag at the regulator

65 Dearborn car Sept 64 car

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)