Author Topic: 1966 Thermactor System a "Running Change"?  (Read 3043 times)

Offline Mark C

1966 Thermactor System a "Running Change"?
« on: August 20, 2011, 01:03:20 AM »
Gents -

I have a 1966 coupe (my entry into the Mustang world) that I bought a few years back and haven't started the resto on yet. The history on the car is a bit sketchy (2-3 previous owners), but when I bought it the owner said "Oh, and I've got a box in the garage with that smog equipment junk if you want it...". Trouble is (based on my lack of knowledge), the air cleaner in this set is the non-snorkel (1967-on) type. It's a 289 car out of CA with a build date code of 29F. Did the thermactor go to the "1967" style late in the 1966 model year, one of the common so-called "running changes" in the production? I intend to base the engine rebuild around confirming whether this is he correct setup for this car - if it IS correct, I will go to the effort of restoring the emissions system along with the engine. I'd love to have it as close to original as possible, but don't see any point in installing smog equipment that isn't even correct. Thanks in advance for any help; figured this was the ideal forum to ask without having 94 replies telling me that it's just going to rob power and why not just throw it all away...
If this topic has already been covered ad nauseum, please shoot me a reply confirming that also - did a search and didn't turn up any threads, but if they're out there I'll keep looking.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1966 Thermactor System a "Running Change"?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 01:25:08 AM »
I have a 1966 coupe .............Trouble is (based on my lack of knowledge), the air cleaner in this set is the non-snorkel (1967-on) type.

There are a number of different styles used depending on engine, when the car was built and such that helps figure out what air filter top and can they installed

All the equipment can get confusing when you consider all the possibilities and the different plants where this stuff could be installed

It's a 289 car out of CA with a build date code of 29F. Did the thermactor go to the "1967" style late in the 1966 model year, one of the common so-called "running changes" in the production?

If by "67" style you are referring to the internal Thermactor style (compared to the external style) yes that was a running change in 66

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Mark C

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 01:53:49 PM »
Jeff -

This is GREAT info - and I appreciate the coaching. I can see that my ignorance is being exposed quickly (I should add that I'm absolutely OK with that). It sounds like there is a strong possibility that this setup is correct as opposed to being something that a Mustang lover would point out as completely wrong as soon as I cracked the hood and they spotted the thermactor air cleaner.

The car is a San Jose (R) build with the C code 289 - the engine in it IS the internal style. I've attached pictures (or attempted to, anyway) of the air cleaner/smog pump that came in the forgotten box (along with hoses, brackets, etc...) and the front of the passenger-side head. It looks like the check valves were simply stuffed with plumber's putty or something and taped off with electrical tape.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 05:10:32 PM »
That filter can should have two fairly large holes punched in the sides and the pump as that odd cast pulley (most got the stamped steel style)

Looks like your missing allot of hoses, clamps,  a "T", the backfire valve & mounting bracket, the vacuum hose , the adjustment arm and belt from a quick scan

« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 05:14:53 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Mark C

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 11:22:57 PM »
Things seem to be coming up roses so far - I actually had the rest of the parts (pictured) in one of the two bins of stuff that came with the car (along with a pair of extra exhaust manifolds, hood hinges, some lawnmower parts, and what appears to be an old intake and 1BBL carb from a Triumph (?)). In any case, the air filter does have the two holes and the pulley looks to be the cast style that Jeff described.

Can't help but be somewhat giddy about this engine build - mostly because it's a surprise to have a system that appears to be complete from a car that has been bondo'd (badly), an Earl Scheib paint scheme, aftermarket wheels, and a hole in the dash where a K-mart special stereo went in. All will be properly addressed, although probably not until after about a zillion questions from this awesome forum.