Author Topic: Original 65 Rally Pac  (Read 2883 times)

Offline Chris

Original 65 Rally Pac
« on: October 02, 2011, 08:06:58 PM »
I have a 65 Rally Pac I bought a couple of years ago that I just got around to opening up and checking for originality. From the looks of the Tach and Clock, I think they are original (clock says Ford and tach is Faria Corp). I believe the center "rally pac" bridge is reproduction but I don't know to determine originality of the case. There are markings on the inside, but I'm not sure what they refer to (picture attached). If anyone can say if the case and other parts are original, that would be great.

Thanks,
Chris
64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Original 65 Rally Pac
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 09:44:49 PM »
Case has the same markings as the 4 originals I have here.

Center most likely a repro.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Chris

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 10:55:13 PM »
Charles,

Thanks, that helps a lot as I've not seen anyone verify originality of a Rally Pac case before, seen blogs and articles on the clock and tach, but not the case. The case marking looks to be a "K" in a circle, like a logo followed by a number, 61641.

Anyway, thanks again for the confirmation.
64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 11:33:00 PM »
Mine has the same markings on Tach, Clock, and case, only my case mark looks like "KS 61641"....

'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 12:46:04 AM »
Sorry to revive an old topic but need help with the wiring on the back of the clock. The rally pac in my blue car was butchered and installed incorrectly. How it worked is beyond me. Need to know what the connections are to the clock and from. A picture would be great. There was a wire that was grounded to the body of the rally pac that is somehow connected to this mess? Is it correct? And yes I do have diagrams but I’m a visual person and need to see how it exactly looks
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 12:57:41 PM »
Sorry to revive an old topic but need help with the wiring on the back of the clock. The rally pac in my blue car was butchered and installed incorrectly. How it worked is beyond me. Need to know what the connections are to the clock and from. A picture would be great. There was a wire that was grounded to the body of the rally pac that is somehow connected to this mess? Is it correct? And yes I do have diagrams but I’m a visual person and need to see how it exactly looks

Hey Chris - does the car have the proper underdash wiring harness installed?.  I have a schematic with notes that will help you sort this out.

Ron
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 01:57:42 PM »
I do not have the underdash harness installed yet on the car.  I do know it is available from some of the vendors.  The tach I have sorted out as I have an NOS with the correct connections on there.  The clock however is confusing me.  I have a black with blue stripe wire that came off the back of the clock and then the wire for the bulb which I think is gray with a red stripe.  Now the ground wire in your picture / diagram looks like it is connected to the clock.  The ground wire I have was not connected to the clock but rather a screw in inside of the back of the rally pac body itself.  Where does that connection go to?  Is that connection C?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 02:06:51 PM by ChrisV289 »
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline kb65

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 03:32:43 PM »
Ground wire goes on the case

ken
ken

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 03:52:35 PM »
I do not have the underdash harness installed yet on the car.  I do know it is available from some of the vendors.  The tach I have sorted out as I have an NOS with the correct connections on there.  The clock however is confusing me.  I have a black with blue stripe wire that came off the back of the clock and then the wire for the bulb which I think is gray with a red stripe.  Now the ground wire in your picture / diagram looks like it is connected to the clock.  The ground wire I have was not connected to the clock but rather a screw in inside of the back of the rally pac body itself.  Where does that connection go to?  Is that connection C?

The factory clock has a total of 3 wires (2 for the clock and 1 for the bulb)

Clock

Wire 1 (Blue / Black wire): Connects to Courtesy Light via (underdash wiring harness) to provide continuous / "key-off" power to the clock
Wire 2 (Black): Ground (one end with loop grounds to a bolt inside the Rally Pac housing) and the other to the underdash wiring harness

Clock Light Bulb
Wire 3 (Blue / Red):  Connects to dash light power feed (again via the underdash wiring harness)

Does that help?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 04:57:40 PM by rocket289k »
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open