Author Topic: Dearborn, July 1965 "Paint OK" stamps??  (Read 9146 times)

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
Dearborn, July 1965 "Paint OK" stamps??
« on: October 12, 2011, 02:18:05 PM »
Would anyone have a picture or 2 showing a correct stamp/location for my car?

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
Re: Dearborn, July 1965 "Paint OK" stamps??
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 03:48:28 PM »
Wouldn't be any paint OK stamps, It would have had a P sticker on the cowl.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 07:22:18 PM »
OK, Thanks! (I believe that I know who you are, and highly regard your opinions)
At Waldorf, they deducted 1 point and wrote "Incorrect paint stamps"-don't you think that they should have been kind enough to just either tell me or write down that "July 1965 Dearborn cars don't use paint stamps"
I have had my paint stamps questioned before but not deducted for until Waldorf-my restorer elected to have a stamp made with "MY" last name as the inspector's name, I thought that may be the judges didn't like that....

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 07:27:42 PM »
"my restorer elected to have a stamp made with "MY" last name as the inspector's name, I thought that may be the judges didn't like that"

bingo!!! that was the deduction.

5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 08:11:36 PM »
OK, Thanks! (I believe that I know who you are, and highly regard your opinions)
At Waldorf, they deducted 1 point and wrote "Incorrect paint stamps"-don't you think that they should have been kind enough to just either tell me or write down that "July 1965 Dearborn cars don't use paint stamps"

Most of the time we do not have the time nor space to write a long specific description to every deduction. This then places the responsibility with the owner to call or contact one of the judges to get more information if its needed. This can normally be done over the phone, in person on Sunday at the show or email

I have had my paint stamps questioned before but not deducted for until Waldorf-my restorer elected to have a stamp made with "MY" last name as the inspector's name, I thought that may be the judges didn't like that....

Since the paint inspector stamp was not like the original its a pretty easy deduction for a judge to make. Have a couple of restorers that like to do it - and of course they are always starting out every show with a deduction :(

Their choice
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 10:00:58 PM »
FRED, HIT IT ON THE HEAD

ALSO, it was a NJ style of inspector stamp on a Dearborn car.

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD.
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 12:11:03 PM »
"my restorer elected to have a stamp made with "MY" last name as the inspector's name, I thought that may be the judges didn't like that"

bingo!!! that was the deduction.

OK, Let me get this straight: You guys didn't like the fact that there WAS a stamp there, OR was it the use of "MY" last name??    If it were a car from a plant where the stamp WAS correct and had "MY" last name on it would it still have received a deduction? IF this is the case then what name is acceptable?

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 12:12:29 PM »
FRED, HIT IT ON THE HEAD

ALSO, it was a NJ style of inspector stamp on a Dearborn car.

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD.
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.

Phill, Just for giggles do you agree with MGM that there should be NO stamp on a Dearborn car??

Offline Ivygreen65

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 02:41:29 PM »
If it were a car from a plant where the stamp WAS correct and had "MY" last name on it would it still have received a deduction?
If I have my birthday stamped on my data plate as my VIN, do you think I should get a deduction?

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 09:17:47 PM »

Right.  A July '65 Dearborn stamp would be either the seldom seen "Basreball Diamond" ink stamp on the upper shoulder of the Driver's side fender (Usually to the right of the last fender bolt - the one closest to the cowl), or the Red or Black "P" decal on the cowl.
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline Ivygreen65

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 09:29:04 PM »
Right.  A July '65 Dearborn stamp would be either the seldom seen "Basreball Diamond" ink stamp on the upper shoulder of the Driver's side fender (Usually to the right of the last fender bolt - the one closest to the cowl), or the Red or Black "P" decal on the cowl.
If you don't mind, would you post a couple of pictures of original late 65 Dearborn cars with an ink stamp.  I would really like to add those to my reference folder, since I've never seen an example before.

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 10:07:57 PM »
My whole point is this guys: If the judges felt that my stamps were incorrect, then they should have been able to tell me what is being said here now in a private Email, but that question didn't get answered.
One person says NO stamp, anouther says it should be a baseball diamond shape in a completely different place than my "incorrect" stamps are, I haven't been able to go to enough shows to see any cars build around the same time frame that mine was so honestly I have no clue as to what is right, nor do I understand why my restorer who is pretty experianced elected to apply a SJ plant stamp on my Dearborn car.......

I have also asked for clairification on the deducted points for incorrect finishes on the undercarriage (5 points) and the judges have asked ME for pictures of it to refresh themselves.......
These judges actually spent very little time glancing at the underside of my car to make this deduction.

Folks, I am not upset at the outcome of the judging, but at the lack of explanation on such a number of deducted points, seems way to "casual" of a deduction to me.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 10:48:41 PM »
Right.  A July '65 Dearborn stamp would be either the seldom seen "Basreball Diamond" ink stamp on the upper shoulder of the Driver's side fender (Usually to the right of the last fender bolt - the one closest to the cowl),...........

You have some pictures of an ink stamp being used on cars from 65 Dearborn - #778000- and up? Would be interested in know what the cars VIN was. Don't have anything that late in my records

I've found more of  the original ones stamped closer to centered when applied to the drivers side fender. But sure location varied depending on who stamped it most of the time

One example

« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 10:53:19 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 10:48:55 PM »
My whole point is this guys: If the judges felt that my stamps were incorrect, then they should have been able to tell me what is being said here now in a private Email, but that question didn't get answered.
One person says NO stamp, another says it should be a baseball diamond shape in a completely different place than my "incorrect" stamps are....

Think the problem with the discussion started with the lack of a projected build date of your car (you providing it or the second poster not asking for one) where the judges would have had this information available to them

OK, Let me get this straight: You guys didn't like the fact that there WAS a stamp there, ........ 

Without you posting a picture of the stamp or having seen it at the show being sure to 100% difficult but it the stamp was either a NJ or San Jose style then it was incorrect for the car. If it was a San Jose style stamp with a name it was incorrect even for a 65 San Jose car.

OR was it the use of "MY" last name?? If it were a car from a plant where the stamp WAS correct and had "MY" last name on it would it still have received a deduction? IF this is the case then what name is acceptable?

IMHO Only if your last name was the same as one of the inspectors at that plant during that time period. If there happened to be a paint inspector there and your last or first name matched (they didn't always use lasts names at San Jose - too many letters) then its a lucky coincidence  just like the projected build date being the same as the owner's mothers, child, pet's birth date.

............do you agree with MGM that there should be NO stamp on a Dearborn car??

Since Mike owns 65 Dearborn car(s) with the ink stamp I'm pretty sure he misspoke (mistyped ;) Have taken pictures of those
Jeff Speegle

Offline Ivygreen65

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 11:05:32 PM »
I'm sure Mike was referring to late 65 Dearborn cars, since the thread title noted July 65 Dearborn built cars.  His coupe that has the stamps is a September or October 64 Dearborn car IIRC.  His June 65 convertible has the P decal.

Hopefully Tony will back up his post with pictures of a June or July 65 Dearborn car with the ink stamps.