Author Topic: Speedo cable route  (Read 8196 times)

Offline 6R07K

Speedo cable route
« on: November 07, 2011, 03:22:53 AM »
G'day

I'm having some problems routing the speedo cable, it keeps trying to sit on the H pipe on the drivers side before passing through the firewall!

I've got a clamp on the passenger side about level with the transmission crossmember above the H pipe that doesn't look correct, it then draps over the top of the transmission and runs along the firewall sagging low on the drivers side H pipe before passing through.

If anyone has a schematic or photos of the correct setup it would be great.

PS: 66 SJ coupe with a toploader.

Cheers

Ben
Cheers

Ben

6R07K193XXX

Offline jwc66k

Re: Speedo cable route
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 03:49:42 PM »
There is a clip at the front of the right hand side of the bell housing that keeps the cable away from the exhaust. I have a poor sketch from the 64 Chassis assembly manual as reference that shows location but no attachment method. The cable itself should come out of the RH side thru the transmission support bracket first which keeps it close to the transmission.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 11:51:22 PM »
I'm having some problems routing the speedo cable, it keeps trying to sit on the H pipe on the drivers side before passing through the firewall!

I've got a clamp on the passenger side about level with the transmission crossmember above the H pipe that doesn't look correct, it then draps over the top of the transmission and runs along the firewall sagging low on the drivers side H pipe before passing through.

PS: 66 SJ coupe with a toploader.

Ben - do you have one of these clips??

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 6R07K

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 06:07:14 AM »
Thanks Jeff

That would be where my main problem is.

I see it and a transmission crossbrace clip on the VA web site, any pictures of it also?

Cheers

Ben
Cheers

Ben

6R07K193XXX

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 12:07:55 AM »
I see it and a transmission crossbrace clip on the VA web site, any pictures of it also?

Checked and sorry - no real clear picture of that clip and location for a 66 Manual trans
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 6R07K

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 03:35:27 AM »
Thanks for looking Jeff
Cheers

Ben

6R07K193XXX

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 04:01:38 PM »
If you are able to figure out that crossmember clip I would appreciate knowing what you learn.  I see that the '65 assembly manual calls out some sort of clip right at the crossmember (the p/n isn't in the AMK fastener catalog), but my 9/65 SJ car didn't have one.  Plus, it doesn't look like it would serve much of a purpose anyway since the cable goes through the opening in the crossmember and can't really go anywhere.

I thought someone on here would be familiar with this detail??
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 04:16:47 PM »
here is a picture of the clip on my Aug 64 coupe.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 07:52:09 PM »
That clip is p/n 379816-S32 (ref Ford Standard and Utility Parts Catalog, Jan 1965 pg35). It uses a "butterfly" type retainer that goes into a hole, similar to the butterfly clips used on the fuel and brake line retainers that run in the drive shaft tunnel, but attaches the speedometer cable to the RH side of the transmission crossmember for V8 4 speed only. The clip in question is p/n 380072-S32 but I haven't found a picture or any other reference about it. See 64 1/2 - 65 Mustang Chassis Assembly Manual, AM0005 pg24.
Jim
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 07:56:35 PM by jwc66k »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 07:16:38 PM »

Thanks Mike.  Not sure my repro speedo cable is long enough to route this way, but I crawled under the car and I can see how this would work.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 05:15:46 PM »
As I posted above, the repro speedo cable for my '66 4-speed car is too short to use a retainer at the trans crossmember and is barely long enough to accept the retainer shown in Jeff's picture.  I am not 100% sure that a '66 car got this crossmember retainer, though the evidence says that '65 cars did.  There is a hole in the crossmember for the retainer so I wanted to add it to my car.

The Scott Drake repro cable I have is about 65"-66" long, which agrees with the length in the 1975 MPC (not sure if an earlier parts book would give a different length).  I purchased a repro cable from Daniel Carpenter that is intended for 60's era trucks, p/n C5TZ-17260-Y.  It is 72.5" long and will allow attachment at both the floor pan point and at the trans crossmember.  Other than the length, it is identical to my other repro including the soft sponge type seal material at the firewall entry point into the interior.
Jim
'66 GT FB